Heat to Hydro insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

uwtriguy

Dec 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
I'm considering options for an insert that could also be tied into our baseboard heat system and hot water. Anyone have any opinions or experience with this product? http://www.hydro-to-heat-convertor.com/.

It looks like the best of all worlds? Advantages and disadvantages?

I would like to do some major chimney/firebox reconstruction to accommodate something like this, but if the benefits are as great as they sound it would be worth it.

Welcome to the Boiler Room, Northern Living.

I saw one of those at a trade show once, and was impressed. It's European design, so I'm not really clear on all the details, but the Euros are way ahead of us on most of this stuff, so I tend to accept that which I cannot understand when it comes to European wood heating appliances. But I don't know enough to make a recommendation one way or the other. It does seem to offer the best of both worlds.

That is an interesting strategy. I like the idea of a fireplace insert that also can get the heat distributed to your heating system.

I would be concerned about overheating a unit with that small amount of water in it. Wood fires don't just shut off like a gas/oil burner can.

It certainly would be nice to see the fire that is keeping you warm....I think that was the let down of my tarm project....realizing that you really don't get to enjoy the fire's ambiance.

I think the ambiance of a consistently warm house, no gas bill and a lower electric bill makes up for not seeing the flame. Actually, we have a fireplace for that, but I hate to "waste" the wood. It uses an alarming amount, not to mention all the house heat going up that big stack.

I agree, I would hate to waste wood.

I wonder how much radiant I would get from something like this? I know this system wouldn't be as efficient as a wood boiler but at least it would satisfy my wifes desire for a viewable flame. I would imagine it would be a nice compromise to only a wood boiler or only a fireplace insert?

I have been trying to come up with a use for our masonry fireplace since installing our tarm....I can't see "wasting" the wood either....this is intriguing thanks for posting it. With a primary/secodary piping scheme this could just be another "boiler" adding heat to the system when it's firing.

It does look cool, (or should that be "hot"? :p ) but I noticed they didn't say anything about meeting EPA specs, just the UL safety requirements...

Also wish they had more info about size, venting direction, and all the other specs one might want to be able to see if it would fit in the available space for it.

Gooserider

I have inquired twice about getting installation requirements and documention but not one answers my inquiries. I will keep trying and update everyone if I get through. I'm still hoping it will work?

Status
Not open for further replies.