Heat Transfer Plates

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dualectician

Jan 12, 2014
CT
I know there is much debate on this subject but I am in the middle of installing above the floor radiant "sandwich style" on below the 2nd floor "staple up /with possible heat transfer plates". I will be heating this all with a 150 BTU gasser with 1000 gallons of storage. I was wondering if anyone has found a good place to purchase heat transfer plates . I thank you all ahead of time!

BTW this is my first post here , I been reading everything for years but have never posted .
Thanks Again
Brian

Hello and welcome Brian,

I really don't see any debate from heating pro's. Heat transfer plates will outperform naked tubes-period. What it really comes down to is how much heat you need to transfer to keep your house at the desired indoor temp at you outdoor design temp. This points right to an accurate room by room heat loss calculation. Once you have this then all the different aspects to designing a good working system are pretty easy.

I am a little confused here:

I am in the middle of installing above the floor radiant "sandwich style" on below the 2nd floor "staple up /with possible heat transfer plates".

Do you mean either sandwich OR staple up for the 2nd floor? Either way plates are where its at IMO but what type of plates (stamped vs extruded$) comes back to the heat loss calculation and the overall thickness and R value of the material above the plates and the water temps you want to supply.

FWIW, I used 9.5" x 24" lightweight stamped plates (Newland) installed 12" o.c. above the subfloor.I bought these and all of my system components from Rob @ http://nrtradiant.com/index.html . Top notch guy that really knows his stuff. I could have payed less buying online but the support I received far outweighed any savings IMO.

Your install sounds pretty similar to mine-check out the link in my signature for more details.

Good luck,

Noah

Oh yeah, here is another plate worth checking out: http://www.wattsradiant.com/products/flexplate/ .

These look like they would be a whole lot easier to install in a staple up install vs extruded plates and the performance looks really good. Not sure how they price out though.

Noah

Status
Not open for further replies.