Heathstone Heritage 8021

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Penny1229

Nov 6, 2014
I just bought a Heritage that was built in 2008. It is venting out the back and I need it to vent out the top. There is a metal plug on the top of the stove and I was wondering if it screws of or pry's off? I do not want to break anything? Help, please!

IIRC, it unscrews, as does the flue collar, but you may have to remove the baffle to get at the fasteners.
That plate should be switched out with the flue collar, in order to change to top vent.
I do not believe that there is a gasket in either of the flue collar frames.

Here's the schematic for your stove...with the parts labelled...

Attachments

• Heritage8021Parts.pdf
    549.5 KB · Views: 343
There are bolts/screws accessed from the inside. Plenty of room to get them once you drop that baffle. You'll need to drop the baffle every time you sweep your chimney anyways so you may as well learn how, it's really easy.

Thanks guys for your quick replies!
I called The Hearthstone number 877-877-2113, and they transferred me to their tech service. The very nice man spent 30 minutes with me, to make sure that I understood everything about my stove and he said what you guys did.
The only thing that he was concerned about, is that I am using 6" very old galvanized piping in the chimney only, and black stove pipe in the room. The old galvanized is very thick, in tacked, because I cannot afford stainless steal this winter. So, I have one last question for you and that is? Where is cheapest place to buy stainless steal on-line?
Also, I have a chimney on the other side of my home that does not draw, because it is not high enough. But, it does have a 6" flex pipe in it and I am wondering if it is stainless? Is there a way to tell? If it is stainless, then I will only have to buy about 7 more feet and use a coupling on the chimney that I am using for my stove.
Again, thanks for your kind replies!
Penny.

You can buy the good stainless class a chimney with a galvanized outer skin to save money. Is that what you have?

The galvanized piping that I am using came off a 1950's furnace that was in my home, that I am renovating. The galvanized piping I have, is thicker then what they sell at Lowes. Things that they built in the 50's, including cars were made of a thicker gauge metal.
The newer flex piping that is in a fireplace that I am not using, is very thin flex pipe, that I suspect might be stainless steal? Which should I use and how can I tell if the thin flex pipe is stainless steal?

The galvanized piping that I am using came off a 1950's furnace that was in my home, that I am renovating. The galvanized piping I have, is thicker then what they sell at Lowes. Things that they built in the 50's, including cars were made of a thicker gauge metal.
The newer flex piping that is in a fireplace that I am not using, is very thin flex pipe, that I suspect might be stainless steal? Which should I use and how can I tell if the thin flex pipe is stainless steal?

I would love to see photos of the galv pipe, side view, end view and any markings before advising.

Baffle 006.jpg Baffle 006.jpg Baffle 007.jpg Baffle 009.jpg Baffle 010.jpg Baffle 011.jpg Baffle 012.jpg Baffle 014.jpg Baffle 015.jpg Baffle 016.jpg Baffle 017.jpg Baffle 006.jpg Baffle 007.jpg Baffle 007.jpg Baffle 009.jpg Baffle 010.jpg Baffle 011.jpg Baffle 012.jpg Baffle 014.jpg Baffle 015.jpg Baffle 016.jpg Baffle 017.jpg Baffle 009.jpg Baffle 010.jpg Baffle 011.jpg Baffle 012.jpg Baffle 014.jpg Baffle 015.jpg Baffle 016.jpg Baffle 017.jpg Baffle 006.jpg

Oops, I must have clicked something wrong, because it doubled my pics? I have 3 pieces of double wrap, the pic with the garbage bag is the flex piping and the galvanized. I spent all day installing the galvanized and would like to keep it until next summer and probably install the double wrapped pipe or maybe the flex stainless? It was really hard to install the galvanized, took me all day and it's getting cold here at night.
What do you think of the baffle? Does it look like it might get me through the winter or should I go ahead and replace it now?
This Heritage will be my only heat through the winter, here in Southern Indiana. And, I have a $140.00 infer-red heater that I am thinking of putting in my cellar where my new pex plumbing is and it is under the bathroom. Lol, I don't have a kitchen yet!
What would you do? And again, thanks! :D

Man, if that's not class A, I would wonder about the off gassing when that pipe gets hot, for one. I guess I'm going to say what you don't want to hear and suggest you don't use it until you can drop a proper liner down there. The baffle doesn't seem like an immediate issue from what I can see briefly in the photos. I'd rather see you take the baffle money and put it towards the chimney. So that liner is passing thru that galv pipe and the galv pipe is what is lining the total length of the masonry chimney? And the masonry chimney has a proper clay tile?

That looks to me to be 6" flex stainless steel liner in the fireplace, I would hook a tee up to it and use the stove as it is rear venting. How tall is that chimney with the flex liner?

Before proceeding I would have a pro come out and take a look at both setups.

Status
Not open for further replies.