Heatilator convesion to a see through vented gas fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vicart

Dec 13, 2007
central Ohio
I am turning a heatilato that was converted for a wood burner and now I am converting it to be a see through with ventded gas logs.I have removed the old metal innards of the heatalator,and I have cut the back side of the fire box out to the same dimensions as the front opening.I want to put an unopenable glass sheild on one side to prevent problem drafts, and put doors on the other . I have a 9x12 ceramic flue liner,with a double wall steel liner 9 inch inside of that .I have no damper ,I have a metal hat covering the flue I am hoping will stop the down drafts.My plan is to parge the inside of the heart with hihg temp mortar.I have cut the metal linner off so that it is flush with the top of what would be the smoke chamber .The spaaaace between the metal liner and the ceramic linner is insulated with rock wool.Does anyone haave insight on my situation?

What exactly are you going to put in here? A gas log? What was the fireplace originally? A single sided Heatilator prefab? Or was it a "heatilator" style heat-form masonry unit? If I am interpreting this correctly I can think of countless scary things you have done or are suggesting doing.

I believe origanily it was a commen masonry heatilator or heatilator style.It has no smoke shelf.It was then converted to have a wood burning stove.When I got to the project all that remained was a steel box inside the hearth with the 8 inch pipe sticking out.The home owner asked if it was possible to convert this to a see through with gas logs.Not knowing what I was looking at I told him to get a torch and cet the steel out and we would talk.I wasnt sure if I could cut the back out of the fire box with out the smoke shelf and chamber collapsing.When we cut the steel out I realized there was no smoke shelf or damperand it was a straight shot up the flue .I assumed that no matter what I could seal the flue and install a two sided ventless log.Well I learned again never assume because he is afraid of the ventless variety.my custumer is well healed,and I dont think he is worried about the efficiency of the thing.He is however springing for a geothermal heat system.any thoughts?

Vented gas logs are meant to be installed into a code complaint fully functional wood fireplace. You no longer have one of those. Thats about all I can say.

Biggest concern of mine would be CO and soot entering the home.

Status
Not open for further replies.