Heatilator rusted out firebox, what are possible solutions and approx cost...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

leknugas

Jun 24, 2020
perry hall md
I just discovered that the firebox of my basement fireplace Heatilator is rusted out. (I only discovered this because I am working from home due to covid-19, LOL).

This fireplace hasn't been used probably for 15 years.

So, the 2 problems are replacing the firebox and probably chimney repair since apparently there is water penetrating, thus causing the rust.

I have a chimney sweep company coming on Monday. I'm wondering if anyone else has had to deal with this problem, and what solutions there are. Googling around, it seems you can cut out the rusted firebox and replace it with fire brick, or perhaps a wood burning insert.

Any idea on cost?

The attached pictures are after some short heavy down pours the last couple of days, you can see some dampness in the corners...

Attachments

• Left.jpg
    Left.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 450
  • Right.jpg
    Right.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 572
  • Center.jpg
    Center.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 471
  • IMG_1718.jpg
    IMG_1718.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 464
You are right the fix is either an insert or a masonry firebox. The masonry firebox is far less in materials but tons of labor. An insert isn't that much labor but much more in materials. Figure anywhere from 2500 to 5000 for either