"Heating costs for most households are forecast to rise from last winter’s level"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't realize that us wood burners where such a minority in the heating world. Don't get me wrong tho, I'm proud to be a part of this group!! Pat

I didn't realize that us wood burners where such a minority in the heating world. Don't get me wrong tho, I'm proud to be a part of this group!! Pat
What amazed me was the consistency no matter where you are located. Wood burners are roughly the same percent from east coast to west, north to south.

Reactions: n3pro
love it! seeing as how my wood is free, my gas is free, even the oil in my tank is free

Random theory: you can tell the overall size of a group vs. the overall population by how fanatical the forums pertaining to said activity are....

Corvair.... (yea I won one) forum guys, and girls are nuts
Saab 92x....(again I own one) A rebodied Subaru WRX only made for 2 years....fing nuts about their cars
Ultra Runners.....same

Hearth.com.....really? need I point out how we believe everyone else is nuts and they think we are a little off as well...

Did their weather extremity Winter forecast come from the same agency that issued the dire "extremely active " forecast for the current hurricane season ?

Did their weather extremity Winter forecast come from the same agency that issued the dire "extremely active " forecast for the current hurricane season ?
I find the forecasts to be pretty much useless, however the historical data is informative and would be otherwise unavailable.

I didn't realize that us wood burners where such a minority in the heating world.

"About 20% of New England homes (1.1 million) used wood for space heating, water heating, or cooking in 2009 (EIA, Residential Energy Consumption Survey, 2009), which is nearly twice the national rate. Almost half of all rural households in New England used wood compared with only 12% of the area's urban households that used the fuel."

As a suburban New Englander that feels about right to me. I supplement my heat with 3+ cords of wood every winter. Two other nearby neighbors supplement their heat with wood similarly. But our "primary" household heats are natural gas (me), electric (next door), and oil (four houses down the road).

With home heating by #2 so common in New England ( and not very common in the rest of the states) I wouldn't be surprised to find that 20% number has grown since 2009.
Mix in pellet stoves and home heating oil homes in New England.

Sure seems we are at the same level of wood stove use here in NE that we were during the 73/4 and 79 petroleum crisis.

With home heating by #2 so common in New England ( and not very common in the rest of the states) I wouldn't be surprised to find that 20% number has grown since 2009.
Mix in pellet stoves and home heating oil homes in New England.

People filling 275s with #2 here on Long Island are closing in on a grand to fill up their tanks. Even still I'd expect the wood/pellet number to much less than 20%. Just not as prevalent here ... more wood for me. :cool:

for ease of use, easy purchase price, easy install, ease of moving the fuel, I would think pellet heat would be growing steadily as oil, propain and electric rates continue to climb.
Especialy considering the NorthEast has states that are getting older population wise. the jump into pellet burning isn't nearly as much effort as wood heat.
Were pellets figured under wood on the charts, or just ignored?

don't worry though, they know the poles will melt and the coasts will be flooded, trust them...

And I've noticed some of the neighbors are building big wood piles. A sure forecast of a cold winter.

Reactions: Dix
I would have to disagree with the whole thing. Oil was much higher, about $4 a gal 4 yrs ago. I bet about 40% of houses that I drive by have a wood stack near the house. Pellets cant be seen from the road but it seems like most people have them. I would bet the NE has 60% of some sort of wood heat appliance, even if its for power failure only.

I'd be curious to know how many people heat exclusively with wood, vs. just supplementing. Those of us who heat exclusively with wood are in even more of a minority!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I'd be curious to know how many people heat exclusively with wood, vs. just supplementing. Those of us who heat exclusively with wood are in even more of a minority!

I burn about 3 cords per season which offsets our heating with oil.

Our fireplace insert kills 2 out of 4 zones heated by oil (1 of the other 2 is the basement so that's minimal). So wood does a lot but doesn't quite throw sufficient heat through our ranch layout. Maybe if we had a colonial.

How do most wood-only heaters do it? Wood stoves?

I burn about 3 cords per season which offsets our heating with oil.

Our fireplace insert kills 2 out of 4 zones heated by oil (1 of the other 2 is the basement so that's minimal). So wood does a lot but doesn't quite throw sufficient heat through our ranch layout. Maybe if we had a colonial.

How do most wood-only heaters do it? Wood stoves?

Yes I only heat with a wood stove. Full disclosure, I have a gas furnace but try not to turn it on. I do turn it on very low if we will be away from the house for several days in the winter. I have a ranch, and there are definitely warm and cool spots in the house, but the main living areas are nice and warm, and the house has fairly good air circulation. I've been in some houses where to get one room to 70 degrees the living room has to be 90.

Wood furnace, every rm is nice and toasty, or cool, how every I want it just move a damper.

We have been all wood heat for twenty years or so. But that more expensive prediction ain't gonna happen this year. Oil and gas are gonna be cheaper this winter than they have been in several years.

Reactions: AnalogKid
Available as low as $3.39 in places in Pennsylvania. The same price as gasoline here today. There is some pressure on heating oil due to the shutdown of so many East Coast refineries that I warned folks about two years ago. But with oil supply conditions they shouldn't make any crazy jumps this year.

Of course there has never been any excuse for distillate, heating oil, to cost as much as gasoline other than the limited market for it. The East Coast.

The survey stated it had no accurate method of measuring wood expenses or consumption. Being off grid.
Pellet heating I imagine is under the wood heating. A more measurable industry. How do you measure wood useage?

Status
Not open for further replies.