Heatmax II hot air start-off adapter connection help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mrpelletburner

Minister of Fire
Jan 20, 2011
Maine
So the manual states to connect 6” duct to the 6-10 start-off adapters, connected to the plenum.

Sounds straight forward right? However the OD of the start-off adapters measure ~5.5” and nowhere close to 6” diameter.

If you try to attach a 6” elbow or straight duct, the connection is a loose fit.

What am I missing? Shouldn’t the connection be snug?

IMG_3931.jpg

Omg this frustrated me when I was installing as well. Didn't make any sense why they were 5.5". I ended up installing the male ends over those as it was much tighter then the proper female, and taping the seams really good. The pic explains it a little better.

Attachments

• 20191117_093231.jpg
    20191117_093231.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 110
Sounds this warrants a call or email to SBI

Reactions: Gbawol42
Well, I called SBI... They stated that this is a common question.

Their suggestion is to use sheet metal screws and hi-temp silicone.

I found using a crimp tool, the connection becomes snug.

I really wish the connections were “true” 6” connections.

Last edited:
Well I called SBI... They stated that this is a common question.

Their suggestion is to use sheet metal screws and hi-temp silicone. [emoji2369]

Really wish the connections were “true” 6” connections.
Well that's a crappy answer...

Omg this frustrated me when I was installing as well. Didn't make any sense why they were 5.5". I ended up installing the male ends over those as it was much tighter then the proper female, and taping the seams really good. The pic explains it a little better.
That pic looks just like mine! I did the aluminum duct tape as well. Was contemplating making holes a true 6" and getting new start offs...maybe a summer project.

Reactions: Highbeam
Well, I called SBI... They stated that this is a common question.

Their suggestion is to use sheet metal screws and hi-temp silicone.

I really wish the connections were “true” 6” connections.

Wow! That honestly is a shocking answer. If they know of this issue all they need to do is change the starting connections to 6". Maybe supply an adapter or something for ones that are already made.

That answer is just plain dissapointing.

Reactions: brenndatomu