Hello everyone, soon to be Blaze King Ashford owner here

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Alphabet

Nov 19, 2020
Oregon
I have been lurking on this forum for several months now, looking at insert recommendations and reviews as well as install tips. I ordered a Blaze King Ashford 25 several weeks ago and am due to pick it up tomorrow. I have had one local installer come to my house and say it could not be installed due to my three inch damper throat. So after reading some more threads here I have decided to install myself. I removed the damper and part of the smoke shelf and have a solid 8 inch opening that is almost a vertical run up to the clay flue liners. Here is where I have a few issues and questions.

My clay liners are two seperate stacks of 11.5" x 7.5" OD tiles, So if I knock the tiles out I will have a 23"x7.5" opening that would accept insulated flex. I am leaning towards Flex King Pro liner with the flex King insulation. My house is a one story ranch so I only have a 14'6 chimney from the floor to the top of the clay tile. With the clay tile removed and insert installed I believe my total chimney length would be 11'11". I am somewhat nervous about this not being enough to draft well. Would it work better to run rigid so I can continue running it higher than the masonry chimney to get more draft?

I have been lurking on this forum for several months now, looking at insert recommendations and reviews as well as install tips. I ordered a Blaze King Ashford 25 several weeks ago and am due to pick it up tomorrow. I have had one local installer come to my house and say it could not be installed due to my three inch damper throat. So after reading some more threads here I have decided to install myself. I removed the damper and part of the smoke shelf and have a solid 8 inch opening that is almost a vertical run up to the clay flue liners. Here is where I have a few issues and questions.

My clay liners are two seperate stacks of 11.5" x 7.5" OD tiles, So if I knock the tiles out I will have a 23"x7.5" opening that would accept insulated flex. I am leaning towards Flex King Pro liner with the flex King insulation. My house is a one story ranch so I only have a 14'6 chimney from the floor to the top of the clay tile. With the clay tile removed and insert installed I believe my total chimney length would be 11'11". I am somewhat nervous about this not being enough to draft well. Would it work better to run rigid so I can continue running it higher than the masonry chimney to get more draft?
Do not use that crap 2 ply stuff.

Get heavy wall or midweight liner if you need extra height switch to class a chimney above the chimney

Reactions: Indianawood
And be aware breaking tiles out of a fireplace is not fun let alone double liners. It really is not something I would recommend for a first breakout.

Do not use that crap 2 ply stuff.

Get heavy wall or midweight liner if you need extra height switch to class a chimney above the chimney
And be aware breaking tiles out of a fireplace is not fun let alone double liners. It really is not something I would recommend for a first breakout.

What brands would you consider heavywall?
Do you think I should try an oval pipe that will fit through the clay then? I figured the side by side rectangles would be easier since the tiles would only be mortared on three sides and not the center where theyre touching.

What brands would you consider heavywall?
Do you think I should try an oval pipe that will fit through the clay then? I figured the side by side rectangles would be easier since the tiles would only be mortared on three sides and not the center where theyre touching.
It isn't the brand it is the material and construction that makes it heaywall.

This is midweight. https://www.woodlanddirect.com/hybrid-flex-304l-chimney-liner-kit---6/563335.html

And heavy wall

It isn't the brand it is the material and construction that makes it heaywall.

This is midweight. https://www.woodlanddirect.com/hybrid-flex-304l-chimney-liner-kit---6/563335.html

And heavy wall

Ok thanks, would the Hybrid Flex 304L Pre-Insulated Chimney Liner Kit - 6 also be midweight just pre insulated? It is in woodlands same Heavy flex category, I am just not seeing wall thicknesses or anything listed on most sites to compare heavy wall to flex.

I was able to knock out the flue tiles and now have 7 3/4 of usable width for the liner. I think I will have to do the flex as it seems most class A is 8" OD. Then get an anchor plate to add class A to get my 15' for proper draft

Ok thanks, would the Hybrid Flex 304L Pre-Insulated Chimney Liner Kit - 6 also be midweight just pre insulated? It is in woodlands same Heavy flex category, I am just not seeing wall thicknesses or anything listed on most sites to compare heavy wall to flex.

I was able to knock out the flue tiles and now have 7 3/4 of usable width for the liner. I think I will have to do the flex as it seems most class A is 8" OD. Then get an anchor plate to add class A to get my 15' for proper draft
Yes preinsulated hybrid is the same liner it is .010" thick. Heavy wall is .014 to .016. light wall is .005 or .006

And good for you getting them broken out

And good for you getting them broken out
Thanks, I appreciate it. It was kind of my only option. Two local fireplace shops wouldnt install stoves they didnt sell, and the sweep/ installers I had come out said they could not remove the damper and the flue tiles could only be removed by a mason.

Yes preinsulated hybrid is the same liner it is .010" thick. Heavy wall is .014 to .016. light wall is .005 or .006
Hey bholler two more questions for you.
The front base of the stove sits on my hearth about 1 1/8 inches above the firebox bricks. Can I weld a platform of 1/8 sheet on top of 1” square for the insert to sit on?
Also I would like to install a mantle 24” above the insert. Would a steel mantle across the front and wrapping around the sides be ok?

Attachments

• D7BA19A7-94D6-4278-A759-02DC96063A45.jpeg
    D7BA19A7-94D6-4278-A759-02DC96063A45.jpeg
    199.8 KB · Views: 123