Hello, I'm new and I have a question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ggans

Hearth Supporter
Oct 11, 2009
Michigan
First let me start by saying my brand new brick chimney complete with a ridged 304 liner that is very well insulated has been completed !

And to boot I have finished restoring (kinda) My 1917 Florence Hot Blast #77 . She looks brand new. This year she got 2 new parts , A new fire bowl cast from the old one and a new cylinder skirt rolled from 16 gauge stainless 304 also. I am on my third day of burning it after it being dormant for many years.

My question from years ago, some times when the fire gets just right I get a burn in the fire that burns blue in color. is this gases burning real hot? What am I seeing?

What temperature are you burning at when you notice the blue color?
Are you talking 500, or something closer to 1000?
In any event, my guess is that it's the gasses that are being released at being combusted.

Anywhere from around 300 to who knows,, I'm new again at this and my goal is not to get the house to 90 every night. I have carpet and furniture now..hehe long story..

blue is generally carbon based gasses burning away, sound like the stove is getting a whole lot of air. im not familiar with your unit (im old but not that old) does it have an "underneath" air control? if so you may want to close it down just a bit , when you get a lot of blue flames you are burning at a very high rate most times. slowing down underneath air if its there can ease that back a bit giving a longer burn with little loss of output as air will move through the stove a bit slower allowing for a higher transfer of heat before exhaust escape to the flue.

Thanks, here she is.. 93 years old . she been around 50 years even before I was born. If only she could talk..

Attachments

• IMG_3031.jpg
    IMG_3031.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 237
Thanks again, I sure would be happy to take a look at his, and I am always looking for parts.. It's really nice to burn my stove again..

Status
Not open for further replies.