Hello! My first Post! A few questions...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forest-Rune

Oct 28, 2008
Appalachian Mountains
Hi
This is my first post, and i have plenty of questions about woodstoves. I am currently serving in the Middle East with the Pennsylvania Army National Guard, but when i return home this November, I plan on buying a wood stove for my home. I have a small (800 square foot) brick home. I am hoping to use a stove as my primary means of heating, although i do have natural gas. I think i have settled on either a Vermont Castings Dutchwest (Model 2477 Small) cast iron stove; or a QuadraFire Yosemite (which i believe is welded plate steel construction). Is there an advantage or disadvantage to either product? I kinda feel i should go with a traditional cast iron stove, but the welded plate steel model is cheaper. Is there a better company or model out there?

Also, I have access to several pieces of granite counter top. I will be able to get a piece that is roughly 36 " X 36 " and about 1.25" thick. Would this be adequate for a hearth pad footing, or do i need something more heat resistant?

Approx how much would it cost to have one of these stoves installed? I am pretty handy, but I was thinking it might be better to have a woodstove proffessionally installed, for the sake of insurance reasons.

thanks alot!

Welcome, and thanks for your service to our great country.
I don't have much advice to offer except that the concern for a hearth pad is more about what's under the granite (combustibles).
The stove's manual, usually available online, should give you specifics and sizes.
Most insurance companies are okay with DIY install and it's really pretty easy if you work out all the details before digging in.

You might want to search this site about current thinking about Vermont Castings.
Just saying.
Stay safe.

Forest-Rune said:
Also, I have access to several pieces of granite counter top. I will be able to get a piece that is roughly 36 " X 36 " and about 1.25" thick. Would this be adequate for a hearth pad footing, or do i need something more heat resistant?

Approx how much would it cost to have one of these stoves installed? I am pretty handy, but I was thinking it might be better to have a woodstove proffessionally installed, for the sake of insurance reasons.

As you research stoves you will find an almost absurd difference in the varying manufacturer requirements for hearth protection - some require only ember protection, some much more. I have granite as you describe, but my stove (a Harman, made in PA) had a very low k-value requirement so I needed nearly an inch of micore insulation between the stone and the wood subfloor.

Contact your town building inspector and your insurance agent before you sweat it too much. I got estimates from 1k to 2k to install my stove and chimney liner. I did it myself for under $500, I believe competently, and I am only mildly handy.

If you have the time to use the search function on this site, it has all the answers. Good luck, and thanks for your service!

Welcome!

While you're thinking stoves, you should also procure a supply of seasoned/dry hardwood. The best stove setup isn't going to do you much good
if all you have available is green/unseasoned wood. If you haven't taken this step yet, perhaps some friends/family back home could start on this
chore for you. For a small, efficient home and a full winter season of 24/7 stove operation, probably 3 or 4 full cords should suffice.

As for installation, there are at least a couple of different ways to go about it, depending on what you want to do: use and reline an existing fireplace
chimney for wood stove operation, or run a metal chimney right through the center of the home. This site has a "wiki" page with a lot of good information

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Special:Categories

best of luck!

Search this very fine Hearth.com site for lots of research material and also go to all stove manufacturers like Jotul, Woodstock stoves, and others. Go to http://www.woodstove.com/ for the Woodstock library about general stove info on the right side of the page.

Choose wisely. Burn safely.

Do your research before buying Dutchwest (or any former VC product).

Well it's all been said, but I'll say it as well. . . .

1) Do a search for the make/models you are considering before buying . . . you may find that many folks' opinions of VC isn't really all that high right now. There is also a section here which gives reviews of woodstove make/models from owners.

2) Granite . . . depends on the stove's specific hearth requirements and on the Inspector. My Jotul only needed to have ember protection which could have been achieved with heavy sheet metal . . . however I opted to put in a listed floor protection (1/2 inch of Durock) to give me some peace of mind and in case the Inspector required me to have some type of listed floor protection (i.e. our Inspector in Bangor doesn't know the R value of various products and as such states that regardless of what is used he wants to see listed floor protection under the stove capable of achieving the required R value needed.)

3) Insurance company . . . you may want to contact your insurance company before installing. Some insurance companies will jack your premium . . . others will not. Some insurance companies will require a professional installation and nix self-installs . . . others will not. Better to check now than to do something and be told that they will not cover any losses due to one's actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.