Hello! New to site.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oregonrider

Hearth Supporter
Hi everyone, i've been reading posts for a few days now, It's kind of an info overload. I live in a '30s bungalow 1000sf. Insulation in the attic and under the floor but none in the walls. Windows are old double casement with storm windows. I have a Whitfield profile 20 in the dining room and a schrader woodstove in the living room. I'm thinking about replacing the schrader with something newer. It's a beast. 36" high 28" wide and 24" deep. Firebox is about 3 cu. Has double doors with a damper knob on each door. No glass. I want a stove that will burn thru the night and has a glass door. My Whitfield pellet has a hard time keeping this old house warm unless I run it 24/7. Pellets were $200 a ton last year, Firewood split and delivered is $168 a cord for fir and $188 a cord for soft maple. Is it worth it to get a more modern stove or spend the money on more cords? thanks oregonrider

I think that stove is about 40-45% efficient, so a top notch clean burner at 70% would represent at least 1/3 less wood.

But more importantly, there are other benefits to a clean burning stove - reduced pollution, less creosote in the chimney, less smoke (happier neighbors), less stress on the chimney system and a better view of the fire. Although clean burning new stoves run $500 to $2000+, it is possible to get something decent for the bottom end...or even dig around for something slightly used (Craigslist, etc.). If you have a larger budget and can afford to go for style, you'll find a LOT of choices on our products page and elsewhere.

Welcome to the Forum.

Thanks for the reply Craig, I'm looking to spend about $1000. Any recommendations in that price range? oregonrider.

Howdy Oregonrider, welcome aboard. First off, where in OR are you located? Second, there's a whole lot to consider here. I'd suggest starting from scratch. First evaluate the space you need to heat with the stove, how many sq feet, how much burden the pellet will carry in conjunction with the stove, etc. I'd then look at stoves. Keep in mind once you have a stove you would be wise to take a look at where you want the stove to be located. If you want it in the same position, then you need to check to see if clearances are okay. How about your hearth? And very important... what about that chimney? A good chimney can cost you several hundred dollars, so take that into consideration with your budget. Good deals can be found. Last year I found my stove with a chimney on craigslist for $1000. However, the final cost of installing the stove would be somewhere around the $1600 mark. I had to resupport the floor, build a hearth, build an attic insulation guard, purchase a new roof flashing (old one was the wrong pitch), install an OAK, etc. And that's not counting my free labor of course. If I had to pay someone to do it all the complete install probably would have ran somewhere in the $2500-3000 range including the stove.

Do you have some pictures of your place?

-Kevin

oregonrider said:
Thanks for the reply Craig, I'm looking to spend about $1000. Any recommendations in that price range? oregonrider.
Welcome oregon rider...
have you checked the englanders?

Hello Oregonrider, I'll second GVA on the Englanders. I don't think you can beat the stove for the price and the service is top notch.
Don

Todd said:
Check out the Lopi Republic stove. I think they are going for around $1000.

www.lopifire.com/product_guide/detail.aspx?id=247

hey , thats pretty good as well todd. looks like a good "between" for our small and large. guess i'd look at that stove too, little smaller firebox, efficiency is a little lower, GPH is a bit higher. but overall good numbers. i still like the 30 but im biased, i build them

Hi Kevin, I'm 45mi. east of eugene up the mckenzie river valley 6 mi. west of blue river. My hearth is brick 1 3/8" thick it's 60" wide 64" deep with a semi circle front edge 48" up the wall behind the stove.it's 21" from the back of the stove to the face of the brick wall.Stove pipe is 8" dia. up to the ceiling where it enters a square box 14" on a side. Out of the roof the OD is about 11" with an 8" ID. Living room is 13'x25'. With1/2 the ceiling vaulted, big ceiling fan for each side. I use the pellet stove to maintain a tollerable Temp, the thermistat is set for a low of 65 at night 60 during the day with it set to come up to 70 in the morning about 2 hours before I get up , lower down when I leave for work then bring the temp up to 72 a couple hours before I get home from work.It has to work pretty hard to do that and because it"s in the dining room, the living room stays in the 60s. I usually start a fire in the wood stove when I get home from work and on the weekends. last winter I used 2 tons of pellets and almost 2 cords of firewood. I would say the stove, hearth and pipe probably met code when it was installed in the late 70s or early 80s. That was when Schrader was in bisness. Stove is 1/2 down insde wall of living room. Opening between living and dining room is 48"x80". I'd like to use the wood stove more as my primary heat but this one won't keep a fire all night or when I'm gone during the day. I work in eugene and live alone so I'm gone 10 or 11 hours week days. I installed the pellet stove when I bought the house 3 1/2 years ago. roben.

Hi Mike I checked HDs web site It's listed @ $1039 on line only. I didn't check if that price included shipping. What would I need to connect to my 8" pipe? roben.

hmmm, i'll have to check that out. they must have upped the price recently , or they are showing as "with shipping" but that usually only applies to special orders and the 30 is supposed to be a nationwide stock tem in depot.

tell ya what , if you want a 30 , look at this website http://www.overstockstoves.com/ this dealer is selling them at 799.00 free shipping. doesnt get any better than that. they list the stove as a "timberridge" unit , but thats only a name , all of the "independant dealers have to use that line neme. the stove is however exactly the same unit you would get at depot

oregonrider said:
Hi Mike I checked HDs web site It's listed @ $1039 on line only. I didn't check if that price included shipping. What would I need to connect to my 8" pipe? roben.

need to know what type pipe you have. is it a wall thimble , or a pipe chimney like a duravent chimney?

Hi kevin battery is dead it's on the charger now, then I'll have to figure out how to import them to this site. I would guess the chimney is that old. just ran the bore brush down it today it seems to be sound. sticker up near the square ceiling box says it's a Simpson dura-vent type L low-temp venting system. roben.

oregonrider said:
Hi kevin battery is dead it's on the charger now, then I'll have to figure out how to import them to this site. I would guess the chimney is that old. just ran the bore brush down it today it seems to be sound. sticker up near the square ceiling box says it's a Simpson dura-vent type L low-temp venting system. roben.

thats strange, "type L" is pellet vent woodstove pipe should be class A not L

Hi Mike its a simpson dura-vent, also I'll check jerry's home improvement in eugene they are listed as a dealer on your site. if not I'll see about the overstock stove site. roben.

Hi Mike yes it says type L low temp. venting system. I thought all pellet stoves use 3" pipe. roben.

pellet usually is 3 and occasionally 4 inch , but the type is "L" or "PL" interesting that the ceiling box shows "low temp type L" that type listing is usually reserved for pellet vent

Welcome OR. For your climate it seems like a new 3cu ft stove in a 1000 sq ft bungalow is serious overkill. The new stove will be more efficient, so you'll burn a lot less wood. I'm thinking the PE Spectrum with $200 off (website coupon) might be worth looking at. Also the mid sized Quadrafire 3100 and/or Lopi are good.

But really, you should look into finding out why and where you are losing the heat in this bungalow. The Whitfield should heat it well until it gets below about 30 degrees. Right now it sounds like you are heating outdoors as well as the interior. Find out where this house is leaking and address that first. It will pay back quicker and forever.

For comparison, I heated our 1924, 2000 sq ft farmhouse, in the Seattle area with about the same amount of pellets and wood. And we have a lot of glass here.

Hi begreen, no insulation in the walls I have about a foot in the attic except the vaulted part of the ceiling in the living room probably 4" there and 4" under the floor. Walls have clap board on the outside and wood boards on the inside walls. roben.

oregonrider said:
Hi Mike Is a type L thinner guage?

i'd have to check, but the biggest thing is its supposed to have a smaller pipe passing through it. i am confused, does the pass through in the part that has the label on it look like its been altered to take a larger pipe?

how do I attach photos?

Attachments

• DSC00045.JPG
    DSC00045.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 302
Status
Not open for further replies.