HELP! .a new VC0044 wood insert user

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmieguns

Dec 10, 2012
Long Island, NY
Hello Community! great site--- I am new to fireburning for heat here in NY,

NEED much help in tactics. Have an old Vermont Casting modell 0044. Seems ok for its age. Fans a bit noisey. :(

I cannot seem to get a REALLY hot fire and for any length of time to heat me up in the house(2000 sq ft).

I am told I have a Rolls Royce that should do it no problem.

HELP!?

email if you want at [email protected]

Many THANKS.

I am told I have a Rolls Royce that should do it no problem.
What does that even mean?

That said, how long has your wood been cut, split, and stacked? Did you buy your wood? Because, your problem is most likely wet wood.

What does that even mean?

That said, how long has your wood been cut, split, and stacked? Did you buy your wood? Because, your problem is most likely wet wood.
Hello and Thank You for your reply. A local merchant salesperson said it was a Rolls Royce in that it is huge and Vintage(not too important to me). The wood I bought from a reputable company near me. Said it was seasoned for 6-18 mts. Some DID burn great -some not so much. Got the wook 2 1/2 weeks agon, stacked it properly on a rack 4-6 inches above ground, tarped. I agree though with you--likely the wood in some way. How do I know for sure?

Hello and Thank You for your reply. A local merchant salesperson said it was a Rolls Royce in that it is huge and Vintage(not too important to me). The wood I bought from a reputable company near me. Said it was seasoned for 6-18 mts. Some DID burn great -some not so much. Got the wook 2 1/2 weeks agon, stacked it properly on a rack 4-6 inches above ground, tarped. I agree though with you--likely the wood in some way. How do I know for sure?
Any sizzling or popping? Sluggish flame?

Also, is your chimney lined? How tall is the chimney?

Any sizzling or popping? Sluggish flame?

Also, is your chimney lined? How tall is the chimney?

Yes some sizz and some popping- not too much. Sluggish after 1-2 hours. It roars up til then. 6 inch SS lined up to 22 ft the chimney cleaner told me. Sound about right?

Yes some sizz and some popping- not too much. Sluggish after 1-2 hours. It roars up til then. 6 inch SS lined up to 22 ft the chimney cleaner told me. Sound about right?
It's your wood. Chimney sounds good.

Get a thermometer on the stove. Your first year will be a struggle due to the wood. Get next year's wood now. If possible, get the next two years worth now.

Bad wood!

Bad wood!
Thanks for your reply-- I bot a moisture meter- . I check each piece before using--usually "reads" 22 % or less... isnt that supposed to be ok?

Thanks for your reply-- I bot a moisture meter- . I check each piece before using--usually "reads" 22 % or less... isnt that supposed to be ok?
Is that from grabbing a split, splitting that and testing the inside?

It's your wood. Chimney sounds good.

Get a thermometer on the stove. Your first year will be a struggle due to the wood. Get next year's wood now. If possible, get the next two years worth now.
Thanks so much for the info-- what do you mean get a therm "on" the stove? do they sell infrared point temp readers? what wouuld you recommend to buy at Home Depot? BTW- if i start a fire with a duraflame i get better results for like 4 hours from stove--any thoughts on why? Once again THANKS! J

Is that from grabbing a split, splitting that and testing the inside?
it is fro going outside and grapping a split that firewood comp delivered : )

Split that piece and test the inside.
OK, will do and report my finding. Thanks so much-- WHAT am I expecting to see from doing this? under 20 % ? Thanks.

OK, will do and report my finding. Thanks so much-- WHAT am I expecting to see from doing this? under 20 % ? Thanks.
If the outside is 22%, the interior will probably be in the 30s.

If the outside is 22%, the interior will probably be in the 30s.

Gotcha---ok Sir... Will do and report. You are an Expert- many many Thanks

Long Island....wood delivered 2.5 weeks ago....some burns well, others not so much....You've got a seller mixing Sandy wood with some that is probably a bit more aged.

Long Island....wood delivered 2.5 weeks ago....some burns well, others not so much....You've got a seller mixing Sandy wood with some that is probably a bit more aged.
Was thinking that , but, they came highly recommended--oh well. Will report back to you . Thanks !

If the wood was delivered in November none of it is "aged".

If the wood was delivered in November none of it is "aged".

I would bet some of it was a legit 6 months...while not enough for many woods, ash is plenty up here and given the dry summer/fall, probably suitable given my own splits from September.

I've got a landscaper about 2 miles from here and I've watched his process as his whole operation is right of the road I take to the Home Depot and Costco. I should really take a picture for you guys. I literally saw them loading half of the 'seasoned (mid summer)' wood with fresh cut red oak last week. There really should be some oversight on this 'industry' when you consider safety risks involved. My next door neighbor had a chimney fire last year with an open fire place. Just so happens they're moving now and my old realtor is their listing agent....she said it's damn near impossible to sell the house because they have to disclose the fire to potential buyers. She advised having the chimney rebuilt since it's an exterior one, but they declined citing costs.

I would bet some of it was a legit 6 months...while not enough for many woods, ash is plenty up here and given the dry summer/fall, probably suitable given my own splits from September.

I've got a landscaper about 2 miles from here and I've watched his process as his whole operation is right of the road I take to the Home Depot and Costco. I should really take a picture for you guys. I literally saw them loading half of the 'seasoned (mid summer)' wood with fresh cut red oak last week. There really should be some oversight on this 'industry' when you consider safety risks involved. My next door neighbor had a chimney fire last year with an open fire place. Just so happens they're moving now and my old realtor is their listing agent....she said it's damn near impossible to sell the house because they have to disclose the fire to potential buyers. She advised having the chimney rebuilt since it's an exterior one, but they declined citing costs.

Thanks for the info- yeah i figured he mixed some junk wood in on me. Question- where can I find an affordable thermometer to check temp? and where should I place it for accuracy? Thanks..

Anyone know if the guy at a stove repair company is correct in that he says the Vermont Casting 0044 has a secondary burn ability? thanks

0044 has a bypass damper, but the smoke chamber to my knowledge has no 2ndary air. So it'll slow things down and extend the burn, but not be any more efficient otherwise.

Good unit, but definately limited in its heating capacity, roughly equivilant to the intrepid at the time. So like maybe 800-1000 sq. ft.?

NO PLACE FOR A THERMOMETER on this rig,and that's always bothered me. How ya s'posed to know what the hail's goin on in there?

Many parts for this guy are no longer available from V.C., but go to grahamthastoveman.com when you need stuff, he might hook you up.

0044 has a bypass damper, but the smoke chamber to my knowledge has no 2ndary air. So it'll slow things down and extend the burn, but not be any more efficient otherwise.

Good unit, but definately limited in its heating capacity, roughly equivilant to the intrepid at the time. So like maybe 800-1000 sq. ft.?

NO PLACE FOR A THERMOMETER on this rig,and that's always bothered me. How ya s'posed to know what the hail's goin on in there?

Many parts for this guy are no longer available from V.C., but go to grahamthastoveman.com when you need stuff, he might hook you up.
\

> Thanks for the reply Bud ! do you have this same unit? if so can you plz email me? [email protected] have a few questions thanks!

By the way, weren't they supposed to have an 8" chimney?

Don't know -- i bought the house with the unit here already--- chimney chap said all ok and a nice Stainless liner all the way up

Status
Not open for further replies.