HELP! .a new VC0044 wood insert user

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way, weren't they supposed to have an 8" chimney?

Yes there were meant to have an 8". So besides so so wood you do not have enough draw. My old neighbor use to have one and it was an OK heater with the 8" liner

Hey it might be worth shooting a P.M. to "defiant" on this site. He services these units and is in Conn., maybe close enough to be helpful like if you were to bring him the front of your unit and he might do the work to the fans? Or something. Any way, he's good and he's closer than New Hampshire!

Reactions: jimmieguns
Hey it might be worth shooting a P.M. to "defiant" on this site. He services these units and is in Conn., maybe close enough to be helpful like if you were to bring him the front of your unit and he might do the work to the fans? Or something. Any way, he's good and he's closer than New Hampshire!

Thanks, I consider your idea- a pretty good one at that! I may to do it myself -- gonna need a lot of prayer and patience! : )

I have recieved much help from this forum.. my many thanks and gratitude---ESPECIALLY to GRAHAMTHESTOVEMAN..aka defiant3 I believe--(not sure) anyway he helped me extensively as I would recommend him for advice as well as services he provides!!! a real gentleman! So must report to you all a few GREAT fires here past few nights from your advice! was my wood- was junk-wet.

Now i have great wood(under 20 %) how can i KEEP it dry? THANKS! please reply

Jimmie, glad things are working better for you now. Just keep that wood top covered out of the rain. It will be fine. Honestly even if it gets rained on it will dry out after a day or two. Good luck with your wood burning. It makes the winter so much more fun. Where are you on LI?

Thanks........yeah, it does make cold nights a little "more fun"........resplitting wood to make smaller is hard work--burning up the calories for sure....I am on LI Suffolk County. Just saw you're on LI as well. Where are you? It's great to have a friend on this thread that is nearby. Hey- I could use all the advice you are willing to share with me Bud! BTW- I have a circa 1988 Vermont Casting model 0044.

Cheers.

Thanks........yeah, it does make cold nights a little "more fun"........resplitting wood to make smaller is hard work--burning up the calories for sure....I am on LI Suffolk County. Are you on LI as well?

Yeah, I'm in Sound Beach. North Shore, Suffolk in Miller Place school district.

If you are resplitting splits a great way to do that is to use a tire. Place a tire on the ground. Place large splits inside the empty space. Split the splits to desired size. Here's a weirdo video that has some nonsense in it, but it gives a good idea of what I'm talking about. I just place the tire right on the ground.

Reactions: jimmieguns
Yeah, I'm in Sound Beach. North Shore, Suffolk in Miller Place school district.

If you are resplitting splits a great way to do that is to use a tire. Place a tire on the ground. Place large splits inside the empty space. Split the splits to desired size. Here's a weirdo video that has some nonsense in it, but it gives a good idea of what I'm talking about. I just place the tire right on the ground.

Hey Bud-- THANKS for the vid-- I actually saw one like it 2 weeks ago and am using that way to do it!!! :)) it sure helps alot. I am in Sachem School Dist, near Moma Lombardis Italian Restaurant. Sound Beach is nice-- your Osborn 2400 is the MacDaddy too Bro--- very nice unit!

The Osburn is working out really well for us. I randomly came across this thread today. Thought it may be a bit of help. You may have read it already. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/vermont-castings-fireplace-insert-model-0044.34450/

Hey Bud-- yes I saw that thread, but Thanks for looking out for me. I have a new problem as of today. Do you know of any stove insert repairmen near us? If so please let me know. Did some damage to the fans/motor today. Really bumbed out here.

I know a chimney guy. He's pretty well versed with stoves. LJ Stoves and Chimney. The owner's name is Lenny. He's a nice guy. I've had him clean my chimney twice, and give me a price for some work that I plan to do after Christmas. He's also a mason. I don't know if he's the right guy for what you're looking to do, but that's the best I've got for you. Good luck.

I know a chimney guy. He's pretty well versed with stoves. LJ Stoves and Chimney. The owner's name is Lenny. He's a nice guy. I've had him clean my chimney twice, and give me a price for some work that I plan to do after Christmas. He's also a mason. I don't know if he's the right guy for what you're looking to do, but that's the best I've got for you. Good luck.
Thanks Bud....I called and spoke to him today about a few things-- nice guy for sure....thanks for the referral. How's things by you and yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.