HELP! A piece of my stove's ceramic plate broke!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emt1581

Minister of Fire
Jul 6, 2010
PA
I have the VC Encore 2 in 1 wood stove. The other day I accidentally hit the large ceramic plate with the poker and it spit in half. It is the plate you take out to access the cat. The one with the sea shell carved on it.

My stove shop has been closed for two days, is there any way to order one online? Is there an official name for that plate/piece?

Any way to repair the one I have? It was a clean split right down the center.

Thanks

-Emt1581

I have the VC Encore 2 in 1 wood stove. The other day I accidentally hit the large ceramic plate with the poker and it spit in half. It is the plate you take out to access the cat. The one with the sea shell carved on it.

My stove shop has been closed for two days, is there any way to order one online? Is there an official name for that plate/piece?

Any way to repair the one I have? It was a clean split right down the center.

Thanks

-Emt1581
You can usually order from sites like woodsmanpartsplus on the web :

http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/68/catalogs/Wood-and-Coal-Stove-Manufacturers-Cross-Reference.html

Follow the link to find your stove and pick out the part... I think you are looking for the Refractory Access Panel $85 and in stock.

There are other similar sites you can also check...

KaptJaq

If you "poker" is one of those that looks like some sort of midieval weapon (one with the spike on the end) I suggest you find a tool that is more of a simple "L" instead - far more useful and less likely to cause damage. I've never understood why anyone needs to have a spike on the end of a stick in a wood stove.

You can usually order from sites like woodsmanpartsplus on the web :

http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/68/catalogs/Wood-and-Coal-Stove-Manufacturers-Cross-Reference.html

Follow the link to find your stove and pick out the part... I think you are looking for the Refractory Access Panel $85 and in stock.

There are other similar sites you can also check...

KaptJaq

That very well could be it. However, there are ZERO pictures of the piece anywhere online so I can't know for sure. I'm not sure how well you know the stove but is it the front-most piece of ceramic that would contact the wood directly and has a shell imprinted on it?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

If you "poker" is one of those that looks like some sort of midieval weapon (one with the spike on the end) I suggest you find a tool that is more of a simple "L" instead - far more useful and less likely to cause damage. I've never understood why anyone needs to have a spike on the end of a stick in a wood stove.

I hit it with the rod, not the point. And it must have been broken before because I barely grazed it. It's not like I was stabbing away and slammed into it.

In any case is there any compounds/glues that work to repair these or do they need to be replaced?

Thanks

-Emt1581

There was some talk of the refractory being guaranteed for life, and on early models that cover was very prone to breaking, so you might want to check with your dealer (or another VC dealer if you can't contact yours) to see if it is covered under warranty before you start putting out money. Don't mention the poker, but don't be surprised if they claim it's your fault and hence not guaranteed - the current owner of VC does not seem to be inclined to generosity on warranty issues. Still, worth a try.

There was some talk of the refractory being guaranteed for life, and on early models that cover was very prone to breaking, so you might want to check with your dealer (or another VC dealer if you can't contact yours) to see if it is covered under warranty before you start putting out money. Don't mention the poker, but don't be surprised if they claim it's your fault and hence not guaranteed - the current owner of VC does not seem to be inclined to generosity on warranty issues. Still, worth a try.

Oh ok. Yeah I'm suprised it lasted this long to be honest. The way it is designed it just sits there. Nothing really holding it in place except three 1" contact points and gravity.

I'd like to find that warranty/guarantee for life in writing. Kinda helps those that pick and choose what they will cover.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

That very well could be it. However, there are ZERO pictures of the piece anywhere online so I can't know for sure. I'm not sure how well you know the stove but is it the front-most piece of ceramic that would contact the wood directly and has a shell imprinted on it?

Thanks!

-Emt1581
Woodstovepartsplus will have the parts diagram where you can see the part. The "access" part has a shell like imprint on it. Follow this link, pick out your manufacturer then stove model and you will see the parts diagram and the picture of your part (Diagram part number 46?).

Look up your stove on the Vermont Castings site to find all of the documentation for it. Warranties are usually in their installation/owners manual. Then use the contact form on the parent company site (http://mhsc.com/) to contact them. I have seen them work through the dealer to expedite warranty coverage.

KaptJaq

Many reports of these breaking on the new Encores... a few posting that they went thru several plates in their first year with the stove. Reading stories of these breaking plates was actually the deciding factor on me finding another old Jotul 12 instead of buying a new VC 2-in-1, as I was on the fence between the two for several weeks.

There's a great thread with a lot of posts by NinoVitale, in which some speculated that VC had made improvements to the plate, as it seemed some were breaking them monthly, and others insisted they could not damage this plate on their stove if they tried. While not a solution to your immediate problem, it might be worth a read anyway, to see if you can decipher what this "design change" supposedly was.

. . .I'd like to find that warranty/guarantee for life in writing. Kinda helps those that pick and choose what they will cover.
I would think that there would be a copy of the warranty with your manual/paperwork, but I'd worry more about having the receipt. Your dealer knows what the VC warranty says, and whether or not there have been problems with this piece; he/she will either cover this, or not. Waving around a copy of the warranty probably wouldn't make any difference, because it almost certainly has an exception for "misuse/abuse," and if they don't want to cover it, the dealer will simply take the position that you must have abused it.

. . .Don't mention the poker, but don't be surprised if they claim it's your fault and hence not guaranteed - the current owner of VC does not seem to be inclined to generosity on warranty issues. Still, worth a try.

I think this is what you need. . .from your original VC 2n1 thread. :)

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/vermont-castings-encore-2-in-1.60640/

I have been using the new VC Encore 2 in 1 for about 5 weeks. I am new to wood stoves so I do not have much of a frame of reference or past experience for comparison. I can tell you the stove lights super easily and retains a fire with ease even on the lowest setting. It burns the wood to to an ultra fine powdered ash every burn. I have been getting between 6 and 10 hour burn times (at low damper settings) based on the type and amount of wood I load. I am heating a 1200 square foot house with it and it seems to be freight train when it comes to heat output. It is not uncommon for me to open the windows in my house a little at times to cool the place down. Visually it is a beautiful stove. I am worried though about future maintenance based on a number of posts regarding the complexity of this stove's design.

There is one serious problems though. The newly designed removable refractory cover plate at the rear of the firebox breaks like a thin sheet of glass. (has the sea shell design cast into it) Two of them have broken in my new stove in the last 3 weeks. My dealer was very nice about it and gave me one new plate under warranty. I have not been back to attempt to get a SECOND replacement. I am sure he will be shaking his head when he sees me again. He told me that this is an issue with the new 2 in one stoves. Personally I find it a little embarrassing and very annoying. Hopefully VC is already working on a solution in the form of a stout new replacement piece. Lets hope.

Enjoy and stay warm and if you come across oak leave it for me please. Ill let you have some ash.

UPDATE:

My local VC dealer replaced my broken seashell refractory piece (the second one to break). I have been using the stove with the replacement piece for about 10 weeks or so with no problems. Because of the problems I have had I have been obsessively careful when loading the firebox with wood and when using any tools inside the stove. It cannot be stressed enough to a new user of these stoves to be careful when loading them. Never ever load the stove by tossing wood quickly into it, especially heavy pieces. Take a little extra time and always avoid the impulse to wedge in that last key piece of firewood in an attempt to get the stove really full. I did hear about another user who cracked a large section out of the large main refractory piece that occupies much of the back of the firebox. Fortunately VC warrantied that assembly as well and the stove is up an running again. When I asked him what had caused it he said it occurred when he attempted to wedge in one last piece of firewood using one of the fireplace tools. He said the snapping sound wasnt pretty.

My goal is not to bad mouth VC or their products. I would just like users of these new stoves to be careful and avoid some of the mistakes others are sometimes experiencing. I also hope that the company considers making some changes to their owners manual educating the customer about the refractory and to avoid shocking or flexing the material. Maybe they will even make some changes and add some additional support to the assembly. I guess time will tell.

Update Late April:
I have not had any more problems with the rear refractory plate cracking or breaking and I have burning the stove 24/7 for 3 months or so with the replacement part. I heard somewhere that some of the early plates were more prone to breaking than the newer ones. Does anyone know if this is true? And the stove performance? Its great.

I've had an Encore 2 in 1 for a few months, and the access cover just cracked and broke in two last night for no obvious reason. The dealer says its warranted. I'm curious if others are experiencing this problem or they have any advice. I burn 24/7 and I like the stove a lot, but I do think that the way the access cover is designed to rest on a small ledge where it seems it could be dislodged by loading is a poor design detail. The ash pan is great - I remove ashes once a day - usually a small amount - with very little dust or ash getting loose in the house.

I think this is what you need:

I appreciate that!!

First I ripped apart my records trying to find the original receipt. However, because it was used with our taxes and other things that year, it was no where to be found. All I could find was the installers receipt. I actually contacted the stove dealer and they are emailing me my original receipt from Dec. 2010. So that is out of the way.

As far as this plate, I didn't even hear it break. Again, it leads me to believe it actually happened when a log shifted or something along those lines. In any case, I know mine was one of the early ones so I am surprised it lasted this long. I am also worried what will happen if they ever stop making them. At that point I think it'll force me to get a new stove.

Also, is there any harm in not having that plate in place during use until I get the replacement? The other plate is still in place protecting the cat. I just wanted to make sure I didn't need to remove the cat or do anything else to prevent damage until I get the new plate.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

I appreciate that!!
No problem. You might want to bookmark that thread, and in future, post there with any issues specific to your stove. . .sorta keep everything on the same page and help keep tabs on VC. :)

As far as this plate, I didn't even hear it break. Again, it leads me to believe it actually happened when a log shifted or something along those lines. In any case, I know mine was one of the early ones so I am surprised it lasted this long. I am also worried what will happen if they ever stop making them. At that point I think it'll force me to get a new stove.
Yeah, s#!+ happens inside a firebox, and it seems like that refractory material is a bit delicate for firebox duty. I *think* I gleaned from that thread that VC has revised the piece, but I don't have a quote for this. If you're really worried about future availability, get an extra piece, in addition to your replacement piece. You might have to pay for the extra, but having a spare might be worth it to you.

Also, is there any harm in not having that plate in place during use until I get the replacement? The other plate is still in place protecting the cat. I just wanted to make sure I didn't need to remove the cat or do anything else to prevent damage until I get the new plate.
I dunno. It *might* be okay to run with a crack, but I probably would not run with that piece totally removed. . .the back of the stove might get too hot or something.

First I ripped apart my records trying to find the original receipt. However, because it was used with our taxes and other things that year, it was no where to be found. All I could find was the installers receipt. I actually contacted the stove dealer and they are emailing me my original receipt from Dec. 2010.

Your dealer should be handling the warranty claim with Vermont Castings. As long as he knows the install date he can file it. While it is good to have the receipt for your records it should not be necessary for warranty work. In most cases if the dealer puts the claim in, VC honors the warranty and the parts will be shipped to the dealer.

If your dealer does not think it is covered, then you can contact VC directly to appeal. Some dealers do not like the way MHS reimburses for warranty work and try to avoid doing any.

KaptJaq

Receipt should be a non-issue. Just about any serious biz these days uses computerized invoicing, and can print you a new receipt/invoice/bill-of-sale. It they can't (and if they say they can't they are probably trying to pull something) the check or credit card statement should do.

VC has a real problem with durability. They'd be fools to start playing games with customers with legitimate claims since there are a lot of people out there who would love to buy a VC stove but are afraid to considering VCs recent history. VC can't afford more bad publicity. But does VC realize that?

Your dealer should be handling the warranty claim with Vermont Castings. As long as he knows the install date he can file it. While it is good to have the receipt for your records it should not be necessary for warranty work. In most cases if the dealer puts the claim in, VC honors the warranty and the parts will be shipped to the dealer.

If your dealer does not think it is covered, then you can contact VC directly to appeal. Some dealers do not like the way MHS reimburses for warranty work and try to avoid doing any.

KaptJaq

Yeah I called the dealer twice for a copy of the receipt today and got a "Uhhh...ok...well we're going to have to dig through some boxes to find it...we'll call/email you in a while"...I still have no receipt. That's ok I can be a PITA when I need to light a fire under them.

I also mentioned the reason I needed the receipt... dead silence in response.

This could have been an off day but I better start seeing some results because I've sent a lot of business their way and that'll stop from no on if they don't move.

-Emt1581

If the dealer does not step up to bat on the warranty real soon I would, since the burning season is upon us, probably order the part online to get the stove back in service. That way I would have the time to work with the dealer and, if necessary, with Vermont Castings on the warranty issue. When I got the warranty replacement part I would hang onto it as a spare.

KaptJaq

It's just too easy for disorganized businesses to put you off by phone or email. Time for a visit in person. Make a copy of the check or CC statement if you can find it, otherwise figure out when you bought it close as you can, print out the thread about problems with that part, and go to the shop and don't leave until they have given you an answer as to whether the part is covered or not - they can call VC while you are there if they don't know. If they tell you it isn't, insist that they give you contact info do you can contact VC directly and appeal. This is not as small a thing as it might sound, Monassen is one of those companies that does everything it can to make it hard for buyers to reach them directly.

You really want to make the extra effort to establish whether the part covered under warranty of not, as you may be needing a lot of them in the future.

Yeah I called the dealer twice for a copy of the receipt today and got a "Uhhh...ok...well we're going to have to dig through some boxes to find it...we'll call/email you in a while"...I still have no receipt. That's ok I can be a PITA when I need to light a fire under them.

I also mentioned the reason I needed the receipt... dead silence in response.

-Emt1581

Status
Not open for further replies.