Help/Advice...please just tell me what insert to buy!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chris1309

Sep 5, 2017
ohio
I have literally spent days on my computer researching WB inserts and still dont know what to buy! I cant look anymore, really getting frustrated because most look good!
2100sqft house, boiler/baseboard heat. Built 1976. First winter in this house last year and propane was about $2600 +/-. I have about 8-9 cords of wood in my barn that has been sitting there for 5 years i was told so the WB insert is justified in my opinion. The bad part is the logs are mostly cut to 23" and both of the Regency stoves handle 18" & 21"
Looked at Regency today and got quotes for the I2400 ($3935 installed) & I3100 ($4358 installed). Close dealer with good reputation.
Im at the point now for someone to tell me what to buy!!!
Fireplace opening is large and was told it will fit most inserts. The bad part is the layout of my house with the insert locate on the far end of my house and Ill probably get cooked out of the room. I can move my TV to the other room if needed! I would need to use to door fans to circulate heat throughout the house.
Please tell me what to buy!
Would like to be no more than $4500 with installation and chimney liner.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 226
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 212
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 215
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 193
Reactions: Chris1309
I am heating a 2000SF rancher with the insert almost at one end, I just have a Vornado at the far end of the house blowing cold air along the floor towards the stove, and the heat gets around really well.

2100sqft house, boiler/baseboard heat. Built 1976. First winter in this house last year and propane was about $2600 +/-. I have about 8-9 cords of wood in my barn that has been sitting there for 5 years i was told so the WB insert is justified in my opinion. The bad part is the logs are mostly cut to 23" and both of the Regency stoves handle 18" & 21"

Don't choose a stove based on the length of 5 cords of existing splits. It's relatively easy to cut the ends off (and they will burn just as well).

I can see from your photos that a point source of heat in one end of your house will not evenly heat the entire home. Going big in an attempt to do that would be a big mistake. Just put a nice mid small-mid-sized stove in there and figure out another way to heat the far end. In this situation you will be better off with steady moderate heat than a big stove that eats wood and cranks the room too hot for comfort. I recommend a catalytic stove to maintain steady heat production without constant loading. That will maintain more comfort than a big stove burned more sporadically.

Last edited:
Reactions: VirginiaIron
I used a Pacific Energy brand insert for the better part of a decade and it was a great heater. You might consider them as well. I would not chose one based on the length of your current wood pile.