Help deciding on new insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rookobird

Nov 9, 2020
Oregon
Howdy All,
I'm new here but have gotten some valuable info just perusing the site.
I'm heating a 2500 sq. ft home in Oregon (lowest around 20F in winter). It's a ranch style (long and skinny) with the fireplace on one end. Currently have an old Kodiak beast (about 4.7 cu. ft. firebox) which works pretty well. I'm hoping to increase efficiency significantly and have a nice view of the fire. I wonder if $5-7K is worth it? But I'm optimistic and heading forward.
I would prefer an insert that sticks out 8-10" from the FP (I feel it would be "more" like a free standing WS, radiating heat from the exposed part), non-catalytic (my firewood supply can't always be excellent quality... also not keen on extra maintenance), high efficiency (>70%) and a good name brand plus large firebox.
I have 3 possibilities, but all compromise my priorities a bit. In my present order of preference:
1. Lopi- Large Flush Wood Next Gen insert (Good in all needs except it doesn't stick out)
2. Regency- Pro Series Ci2700 (Looks like a good stove, but hybrid and doesn't stick out- readily available locally)
3. Pacific Energy- Summit Insert LE (Meets criteria, but I saw one terrible review and many poor reviews online) (also least available locally)

What am I missing? What thoughts and suggestions can you offer?

Any and all help will be appreciated!
Thanks in advance,
John

I currently have a quadrafire expedition 2 on order. That's a non catalytic insert, but it's flush.
When looking for inserts we really liked the regency you're talking about, but sadly we could never get the dealer to come out to our house or return my calls, so we went with a different dealer and the quadrafire.
Here's a thread with some pics of the quadrafire. Good luck!

Where did you see the bad Summit reviews and how old were they? That is a good insert and heater. The reviews here are 5 star.

Thanks for the replies!
mpaul, I was told that last years Hybrid Fire was cat, and this years Next Gen is not.?
begreen, Here's the awful review: https://joshfirst.com/blog/2019/02/01/speaking-of-weather-a-wood-stove-review/
vbu, I'll check out the Quadra Fire
Keep the advice coming...
Many thanks,
John
He needs to come here! The blog post is seriously misinformed. The Summit has 3 sources of air, primary, secondary and boost. There are two possibilities that are troubling his install. One is that the indoor air port cover has not been removed. That is critical. The other is that the wood is not fully seasoned. But the poster may not listen regardless, he seems pretty full of himself. He compares heating a small cabin with a freestanding stove to his trying to heat a stone house with uninsulated walls with a potentially poor installation. On second thought, he can whine on his own,. As he says: "I so totally agree with myself"

My apologies. I put in a large hybrid in my last home and it was a cat stove. I didn’t realize they changed the design to a non cat. Just looked up the manual and confirmed. Learn something new everyday.

What about a BK Princess Insert? Similar in cost, long burn times, cat stove and solid company. Others are much more knowledgeable than me, but I have this unit and it does my place pretty well.

Have you looked at the kuma cascade? Everyone locally loves their kuma inserts, but it's more of a flush mount. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the smaller alpine. If your able to find a used one the enviro boston 1700 would be a good choice but it isn't epa compliant. Napoleon 1402 would be worth looking at too, but it's not compliant either so good luck finding one. I saw an unused enviro venice 1700 for sale as well near the cost, seller asking $2400. I was debating making the 6 hour drive to pick it up

begreen,
Do you have a Pacific Energy insert or are you just sticking up for them?
Thanks,
John
I have a 12 yr old, freestanding, PE Alderlea T6 (same firebox as the Summit) and have installed a few locally. Plus we have a few neighbors with them. So yes, I am directly familiar with them. We have many users here with PE inserts too. Some have also had them for over a decade. Member @Hogwildz has had Summit inserts since around 2008? @Dix has had the Pacific insert (now the Super) for a decade I think.

Last edited:
Thanks begreen!
How do you think they compare to Lopi?
How is the heat output, dependability? customer service?
Thanks,
John

Heat output is good, blower is reasonably quiet on low to medium speeds. The non-cat design is very dependable and simple and the baffle is less fragile. Customer service is going to depend on the dealer. Same with many stoves.