Help finding a wood stove with low height clearance?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trinaj

Feb 22, 2015
Brookline nh
Hello . First time posting . I have an 1801 farm house in New Hampshire with a V.C. Resolute acclaim 2490 for my primary heating source . I have put $700 into this stove In that last 2 years and now I need a new upper fireback . DONE with it .
My problem is that my old fireplace that my stove is hooked up to is only 25.75 inches high . The V.C I have just squeaks in and was undersized for my house .
Anyone know if there is a soapstone stove or maybe a jotul that would fit ?
My house is 2500 sq ft . Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Check out woodstock stoves.

The Woodstock Progress Hybrid is 25.75" with the short leg kit. The Jotul Oslo is 26" and is too small for such a large space. This is the measurement to the top of the flue. Your opening is small, and is going to be problematic for finding something large enough to heat your large home.

Last edited:
Reactions: Osagebndr
f16a9b080adad8e3f042d504446c3c60.jpg

You may have to put a masonary thimble in above the damper or open that up a bit to find what you want in a wood heater. That's a small opening, probably have to make a bigger hearth area for ember protection also.

A progress hybrid might be a strong contender with the short leg kit if your wanting soapstone. My PH is doing an outstanding job heating my 2200sqft house with very high ceilings, lots of air leaks, and minimal insulation. As already mentioned is 25.75 to top of flue, 22.75 to flue centerline, 28.5 to top of stove.

My hearthstone castleton has a rear exit where the top of the 6" pipe is at 23". Stove top is 26 but might work if you step it out and add ember protection. Heating our 2000' nicely even in the low temps we have been having.

You could probably get a good sized insert stove to fit in there...

Reactions: Trinaj
If your going with total wood heat you will want 3+ cu ft fireboxIMO. I'm not seeing much that will work in that small an opening. Someone else may be able to advise you better, but you may have to make your opening bigger . The nc30 would be a good budget stove but will need a larger opening or a masonary thimble to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.