Help , help , oh help! Newbie selecting wood insert....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bestmeg

Nov 6, 2011
Western WA
Greetings wise ones.... I am looking for advice ...what brands are most reliable. I am wanting to heat about 1300 square feet of 2 story home. Family room + kitchen will be the likely recipients...and that equals about 600 square feet. fireplace dimensions are 40 inches wide, and 24 deep. 19 inches of brick in front of the fire place. So far recommended by shop is fireplace X-trordinaire, travis flush, Lopi avalon 1250, Lopi republic, lopi answer.... any feedback or other suggestions? Experience with brands etc. Thank you! :)

Welcome to the forums !!

How's the house layout? A floor plan will help, plus the dimension of your FP. Pic would also be helpful.

And, yes, here it comes ...... How's your wood supply? ;-)

Are you imagining that this appliance will heat the entire 2-story home? Depending on the layout of the place, that might be a stretch. Rick

Sounds like your shop sells Travis industries only. Good products though.

Other brands to look at would be
Regency
Napoleon
Pacific Energy
Enviro
Jotul
Osburn

If you post more info, i.e. floor plan, home insulation, and windows, you'll get more refined suggestions. Are you looking for something with simple looks or something a bit more ornate? I see you are in western Washington. Will you be burning softwoods? Do you want this insert to be your primary heater, supplemental, or for ambiance? What kind of budget are you looking at?

40 inches wide x 24 high by 23 inches deep. looking to heat family room and cut through to kitchen, around 600 square feet. fire place surround is red brick . Want wood in case of power outage...and want to enjoy a real fire and cut energy costs...mostly want to enjoy fire ambiance. Hope that helps.

bestmeg said:
...cut through to kitchen...

What does this mean? Are you going to physically modify the structure of the home? Rick

I'm not too concerned about looks so much as quality and low maintenance...good warranty a plus. Right now we have poplar :bug: and pine....

Is the floor plan an open one, Meg?

Center or exterior chimney?

If heating during power outages is a concern, then I would look for models designed to naturally convect. I know that Pacific Energy and Enviro are designed like this. Are you concerned with getting an overnight burn? Are you opposed to a catalytic stove? A blaze king princess insert would really stretch your burn times out with the poplar and spruce. I don't know how well it naturally convects though.

I can vouch for the convection ability of the PE.

With an insert in an exterior chimney, you're going to want to insulate the liner and add a block off plate.

Can you add a free standing stove somewhere else, or on the hearth?

I'd personally take a look at the Pacific Energy Super insert or the Enviro 1200 or 1700. The 1700 has a larger firebox (2.5 cuft) and easily gives overnight burns. I know, I have one. The 1200 is about the same size as the PE Super, 2 cuft. The 1200 is an E/W load only though. I'm very happy with my Enviro. The Super is a proven performer around here. Gives good burn times and good heat.

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:

With an insert in an exterior chimney, you're going to want to insulate the liner and add a block off plate.

24' inch height would be a show stopper unless they located the stove elsewhere. I just looked at the Keystone manual cause I was thinking the same thing though.

How well insulated is the house? Windows, etc?

Jotul Rockland owners on this site seem happy with their units . . .

kingquad said:
Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:

24' inch height would be a show stopper unless they located the stove elsewhere. I just looked at the Keystone manual cause I was thinking the same thing though.

True dat. I was looking at a 30 ;-P

bestmeg said:
What do you mean by a show stopper? meaning it would rule it out?
Yeah, you don't have the height for a hearth mounted free standing stove.

I would go take a look at the PE Super or the T5 if you want something pretty. Sounds like it would work well for your sq. footage. As I said earlier, a floor plan will get you a ton of feedback. Especially during the week when football isn't on:)

Status
Not open for further replies.