Help! How do you clean a Jotul F500 chimney from bottom up? Sweep is here right now.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Thank you Eric. This is very helpful. This seems like something we could handle. I ordered a Sooteater with 30 ft of flexible white rods. I think we are going to give it a shot. Will the chimney cap get cleaned too? There is no screen on the cap.

Ann
Depends on they style of cap. I wouldn't worry about it unless the cap is getting plugged. Grab some binoculars and visually inspect from outside. I have not been on my roof in years. Not because I can't, but because I choose not to. Less wear and tear on the shingles.

Eric

Depends on they style of cap. I wouldn't worry about it unless the cap is getting plugged. Grab some binoculars and visually inspect from outside. I have not been on my roof in years. Not because I can't, but because I choose not to. Less wear and tear on the shingles.

Eric

Great thanks. We will do that.

Thank you Eric. This is very helpful. This seems like something we could handle. I ordered a Sooteater with 30 ft of flexible white rods. I think we are going to give it a shot. Will the chimney cap get cleaned too? There is no screen on the cap.

Ann

I use a soot eater on mine and the cap usually gets cleaned pretty good, as long as you don’t have the tar like creosote up there. I usually get on the roof annually in the summer pull the cap and check/knock off what’s left but it usually isn’t much.

Great thanks. We will do that.

I had my chimney cleaned professionally. I felt a little uneasy regarding it as they didn't seem to know anything about my stove. scheduling was a pain as I like to do one at the end of the year but the problem was I wanted one mid season.. Due to rain/snow/wind it would get moved back at least 4 weeks. I just do it myself... I came in the house the last time someone was cleaning it only to find a grown man standing on my cast stove.. Nobody will treat you stuff like you will..

Reactions: Highbeam
My sooteater has done an excellent job keeping my caps clean. Let it bounce around in the cap before starting to pull the whole mess down. Spin the drill both ways so that you clean both sides of any obstruction. I like to spin the tool one way going up and then the other way going down with lots of pumping action to really get it clean.

I don't have the optional bird screens in my caps either. I had problems with one clogging with dry brown crust when it was above my Hearthstone heritage even though the chimney was very clean. Then I found out that those screens are optional and removable!

Reactions: webby3650 and MMH
I had my chimney cleaned professionally. I felt a little uneasy regarding it as they didn't seem to know anything about my stove. scheduling was a pain as I like to do one at the end of the year but the problem was I wanted one mid season.. Due to rain/snow/wind it would get moved back at least 4 weeks. I just do it myself... I came in the house the last time someone was cleaning it only to find a grown man standing on my cast stove.. Nobody will treat you stuff like you will..
What is wrong with standing on a stove?

Reactions: webby3650
What is wrong with standing on a stove?
To me it shows laziness on the part of a paid contractor.. should have brought in a small ladder or stool. I didn't like this at all.. Its my stove and I wouldn't be standing on it...

To me it shows laziness on the part of a paid contractor.. should have brought in a small ladder or stool. I didn't like this at all.. Its my stove and I wouldn't be standing on it...
I do it all the time. Many times there is no room for a step ladder. When I do I put a dropcloth on the stove and climb on. It's not going to hurt anything. I have never hesitated to stand on mine. Usually with no dropcloth

Last edited:
Info it all the time. Many times there is no.room for a step.lladder. do I put a dropclth on the stove and climb on. It's not going to hurt anything. I have never hesitated to stand on mine. Usually with no dropclth
The home owner is always right.
As far as cleaning, I also use trx's method - remove inside pipes, brush and rods in a bag, tape the bag to the ceiling thimble. So far it's been successful.

The home owner is always right.
As far as cleaning, I also use trx's method - remove inside pipes, brush and rods in a bag, tape the bag to the ceiling thimble. So far it's been successful.
The hell they are lol.

I use that method when needed as well

This is exactly why we like to do things ourselves when we are able. If I came into the room with someone standing on my stove I would probably be shocked. I would be worried about the enamel getting scratched up. If they explained to me why they needed to be on top of it and used care to not scratch it I would be okay with it.

Everyone has provided great information. Thank you. I feel better about tackling the cleaning of the chimney on our own. If anyone else has any tips or tricks let me know. I like to have as much information as possible.

This is exactly why we like to do things ourselves when we are able. If I came into the room with someone standing on my stove I would probably be shocked. I would be worried about the enamel getting scratched up. If they explained to me why they needed to be on top of it and used care to not scratch it I would be okay with it.

Everyone has provided great information. Thank you. I feel better about tackling the cleaning of the chimney on our own. If anyone else has any tips or tricks let me know. I like to have as much information as possible.
If you are using a sooteater with a bag you need a sleeve of pvc to run your rods through so the bag doesn't wrap up on the rods

The hell they are lol.

I use that method when needed as well
I specifically chose tradesmen because they are knowledgeable, but also listen and are considerate. If I didn't want someone climbing all over furniture, counters, - the stove - then that needs to be listened to. Other things required for their trade, then trust they'll do well and inspect when done. I know what you're saying - interfering with tradesmen - consideration works both ways.

Reactions: bholler
I specifically chose tradesmen because they are knowledgeable, but also listen and are considerate. If I didn't want someone climbing all over furniture, counters, - the stove - then that needs to be listened to. Other things required for their trade, then trust they'll do well and inspect when done. I know what you're saying - interfering with tradesmen - consideration works both ways.
I know exactly what you are saying and in general even if a customer is wrong I will gently and diplomatically nudge them in the right direction. And I am pretty sure due to the fact that I use a cloth when I need to stand on a stove no one has ever said anything or seemed bothered by it.

But there are also some customers who are wrong and won't listen to reason. In some cases I have had to just walk away

Um...... Another admitted stove stander ;lol I only work on a few but have never had a issue? Never even been questioned! These things weigh a ton! My skinny self isn't hurting them. I wrap a cloth around them to keep any falling junk from getting on them or in a fan/blower vent and go to it. How are you going to get connector pipe work etc. done any easier in a corner install without getting up there? Tough enough from on the stove. Standing remote on a offset ladder. On, or partially on a hearth....Sketchy.
And I am not being argumentative in the least. Simply never questioned the process! Hmmmm.

I have an Oslo 500 and here is a solution to your problem. You have a large enough hearth. so I would move the stove forward and install a rear vent. Using a standard T vent with a removable clean out bottom, eliminates the problem of access. Mine is vented into a fireplace and it is easier to move the stove, clean from the bottom or top and then vacuum. I am of the opinion all stoves manufacturers should be required to have at least one rear or reversible vent model.
Or, you could simply remove the oval plate and vacuum up the debris. It’s really simple.

We often drape a moving blanket over the new stove during installation so we can stand on it. In a corner it’s almost always necessary. If someone had a problem with that we’d probably pack it all up and leave...