Help Identify my boss's rounds.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bster13

Minister of Fire
Feb 24, 2012
CT
He needed to make room for a shed and took down a few trees. He borrowed my electric Ramsplitter HV-16 and loves it thus far. I told him to send me some pics of the wood and I'll see if the collective can help identify. Thx.

Pic #1:
dABtZjR.jpg

Pic #2:
NT3AvhJ.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Some of the large, closer rounds look like Silver Maple to me and the smooth bark stuff like black birch. I'm a total newb....any help?

some def looks like birch

Some of the large, closer rounds look like Silver Maple to me and the smooth bark stuff like black birch. I'm a total newb....any help?

You called it right. (Might be red maple, but silver and red are pretty much the same). Tell your boss that the black birch will rot quick if not split and stacked in a dry place. It is one of the best woods for heat, just has the minor problem that it turns to punk almost instantly if damp.

The silver maple is like concrete when splitting by hand as I recall from earlier in the year. Part of the reason I have a splitter now. Haha. Thx for the advice, I'm getting better at identifying rounds! Woohoo!!

I concur with the boys, looks like black birch with either Red or Silver maple. Thats quite an impressive pile.
Its getting to that time of year where you dont have leaves to help ID. To help make a positive seperation on the maple.

The silver maple is like concrete when splitting by hand as I recall from earlier in the year. Part of the reason I have a splitter now. Haha. Thx for the advice, I'm getting better at identifying rounds! Woohoo!!

Never could figure that out, when I split wood by hand Silver Maple was one of the easiest woods to split, you sure it was Silver Maple.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Ut oh....

I'm a newb so don't take my word for it. I'll leave it to the elders. :p

black birch... turns to punk almost instantly if damp.

Hard to believe how quickly - I had some huge unsplit rounds that turned into total junk, to my surprise.

Those 2 thin discs in the foreground of pic2 looks like cherry.

I agree looks like a decent sized silver maple (could be red or hybrid) and a smallish black birch. I like black birch. Burns hot and coals up some. In any case if your boss split and stack in a good sunny/windy spot he will have a nice mix of wood for next year. Now how you gonna explain scrounging to your boss? If he could add a scrounge or two of ash or locust he be in real good shape.

My Boss has seen my stacks...he knows about scrounging now. Haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.