Help identifying wood stove in order to get cleared by inspector. Also, ideas to move stove forward

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NJPR

Jan 7, 2016
Rhode Island
Hi there!

So, I moved my wood stove from one side of the living room to a corner in the same room. I installed a heat shield, and moved the stove so that the corners are about 9-10 inches from the walls, which is the most I can move the stove to.

The city inspector came by but because I don't have the manual for the stove nor does the appliance have any markings that suggest a model, he did not give me the OK. He said that when you don't have a manual stating how far the stove can be from combustible materials, the code is 36 in. from both corners, but since I have the heat shield, it reduced the distance to 18 in. Like I said previously, the stove sits about 10 inches from the corners. If I can't find the specifications for that stove, what options do I have to move that stove forward? Making a new hole on the roof and ceiling is not an option.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• woodstove.jpg
    woodstove.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 107
As I read NFPA-211, if you constructed your wall heat shields properly,
you can reduce the 36" CtC requirement by 66%.
36' - (36x.66) = 12.24" MINIMUM.
If you don't meet that requirement, you will have to use connector
pipe offsets or Class A chimney pipe offsets to gain the clearance you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.