Help identifying wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

slickschoppers

Dec 1, 2017
iowa
It is free, dry, and already cut.

What i dont know is what kind of wood is this?

Cut here in Iowa
20180112_143825.jpg
20180112_143843.jpg

I talked to the co worker that cut and seasoned it.

It is mixed pine with some Aust tree.

The aust trees are really fast growing trees we plant at work.

I checked and its all testing out at 14% or lower for moisture.

He dried it two years outside, one year under cover in an open sided building

Reactions: BenTN
Not very often the term "ready to burn" comes true with free wood. Good score.

Reactions: osagebow
I agree it's pine.

I know you said it's reading 14%. Being pine that could be true. However being in logs with the bark on and seeing snow. I wonder if this isn't only getting that low of a reading because the wood is frozen. Maybe take some in to warm up for a day then respite and test again.

Aust trees burn really quickly when they are dried out! Like Balsa wood! A few years ago i picked up a few truck fulls of it, and I thought it was a great score. By the time I loaded up the second load, I realized that it probably wouldn't have been worth the gas to go back for more, so I left about 4 cord for someone else.

If its easy, its free, and its close you can't go wrong though!