Help installing Osburn 1600 Insert into Majestic Pre-fab

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

daltonhawk

Dec 31, 2018
Scappoose Oregon
Hi all, we moved into a wood-heated house in November and I have been getting lots of information from hearth.com but this is my first post.

I purchased a used, good condition 2013 Osburn 1600 insert to put in our Majestic pre-fab. The Majestic produces a nice ambience but not much warmth. I'm not sure what model it is but I think it's been there around 40 years. It's surrounded by stone and the wall behind it is made of stone and concrete.

The problem that I ran into is that the flue connection on the Osburn is 5 inches back from the face but the flue 'hood' doesn't start until 7.5 inches back from the face on the Majestic so I haven't been able to figure out how to connect the liner. I'm trying to avoid permanent modification to the Majestic for now just in case. Any advice on how to connect things up would be appreciated.

What model majestic fireplace is it?

What model majestic fireplace is it?
I'm glad you asked because it prompted me to take another look and find the UL tag I didn't see before that lists models L42B, L42BR, L42BL, L36B, L36BR, L36BL, or L28B. I'll do a little research to see if I can figure out which of those it is.

I'm glad you asked because it prompted me to take another look and find the UL tag I didn't see before that lists models L42B, L42BR, L42BL, L36B, L36BR, L36BL, or L28B. I'll do a little research to see if I can figure out which of those it is.
You need to find out. Because most prefab fireplaces don't allow for inserts. And if the fireplace doesn't allow it you can't do it

The manual for the Osburn says it's possible to install it in a zero-clearance factory built fireplace but follows that up with some vague language, suggesting making sure the zero-clearance manufacturer doesn't state that it can't be used with an insert.

The manual for the Osburn says it's possible to install it in a zero-clearance factory built fireplace but follows that up with some vague language, suggesting making sure the zero-clearance manufacturer doesn't state that it can't be used with an insert.
Yeah I know it is good that SBI makes that statement. But the same applies to all inserts.

So to close out this thread - I decided to pass the Osburn insert onto someone else and replace the Majestic zero-clearance with a new zero-clearance instead.

I doubt that any zero-clearance from the 1970's was tested with an insert and there's nothing about it in the Majestic manual so I'm going the safe (and expensive/labor intensive) route instead and installing a new zero clearance fireplace.