Help me decide

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

240onts

Oct 1, 2014
Mid Ontario Canada
I will be purchasing a stove in the next week or so. I have it narrowed down to the Osburn 2300 or the Regency F2400 or F3100. Of course the Regency will have the air mate and a blower, and the Osburn will have a blower. No ash drawer on either. I am currently burning an Intrepid 2, it does ok but needs a rebuild so time for an upgrade and the vc will go in the garage. My house is a 1200 sq.ft. Bungalow, 2x4 construction, all newer windows, not a drafty or "cold" house. The stove will be installed in the basement and will be the primary heat source. The vc has no problem heating the house (23 Celsius upstairs). I want longer burn times and better efficiency. Any feedback will be appreciated. I know it's the Chevy vs. ford thing but any person experience would help. I don't know anyone using newer stoves. Thanks

Last edited:
Ok. Bad question to ask. Problem is there aren't any dealers with any models to look at other than the F2400. I would like to look at and " feel" before I buy. Brochure pictures and specs only go so far. Are there any other similar makes, models I'm overlooking. I'm going to be spending 2-3 grand. Also n/s and e/w loading would nice with 18" splits.

Does the 1200 sq ft include the basement area? Is the basement insulated? VC? Is there a stove already in the house and if so, where and what model?

The Intrepid 2 is a small stove. If that could heat your place you won't need to go really large. Long burn times from a medium-size non-cat stove you can get from the Pacific Energy Super (or its brothers T5 and Spectrum). For a cat stove take a look at BlazeKing; they get some of the longest burn times in the industry. Maybe the Sirocco/Chinook/Ashford 20 stoves would already be enough but you could also take a look at the 30 series for extra long burn times.

Ok. Bad question to ask.

Not at all...we're just kinda gettin busy around here this time of year. Patience and persistence are your friends. Welcome to Hearth.com! Rick

Basement is finished and well insulated. 1200sq.ft. on the main floor so I will be heating 2400 sq.ft. total. We were constantly loading the Intrepid which is what I want to get away from. Local dealer said the P.E. Super 27 and t5 have identical fire boxes just "dressed" up different. The Vermont is in the back corner of the basement. Heat has to come across 20' up the stairs in the middle of the basement and heat the main floor. I have ceiling fans so there is no problem moving air.

2400 sqft? Either your house is super-insulated or you stoked that little stove like a locomotive. How many cords of wood did you burn per winter? What kinds of wood?

I am leaning towards going larger than the Super, maybe even the Summit or at least the Neo 2.5. The Enviro 1700 series (Kodiak, Boston etc.) is also well-liked here and quite a bit larger than the Intrepid giving you longer burn times. Take a look at the BlazeKing 30 series I mentioned; the Ashford 30 would be great if you also want a good-looking stove. Those will give you the best burn times and enough capacity to dial it up when needed. Another options for catalytic stoves would be the Woodstock Progress Hybrid or Ideal Steel but those are only sold factory-direct out of their plant in New Hampshire. (And they may not be ULC listed.) From the stoves you mentioned, the Osburn 2300 and Regency F3100 would be my preferences. Their 3 cu ft fireboxes will certainly give you longer burn times.

House is insulated pretty good but yes that stove was always rippin. I burn only hardwood and go through 3-4 bush cords. I will be going today to look at a bunch of stoves. Will keep posted

I had a friend that heated his A-Frame with an Intrepid for several years. It did the job, but was a lot of work. I talked him into upgrading to a T5 and it was a world of difference for them. No more 4 am reloads and more even heating. He also put in a ceiling fan at that time which really helped. The loft area was always too hot when the main floor was just right.

House is insulated pretty good but yes that stove was always rippin. I burn only hardwood and go through 3-4 bush cords. I will be going today to look at a bunch of stoves. Will keep posted

Just to make sure: Your "bush cord" is the same as a cord = 128 cu ft (4' x 4' x 8')? 3 to 4 cords is not too bad; a medium-size stove would probably work although I would suggest going a bit larger ~2.5 cu ft firebox to have enough capacity during cold spells. Take a look at the stoves I mentioned; they should all be about the right size.

Yup, 4x4x8= a bush cord. So I pulled the trigger. I was wanting a 3cu.ft. Firebox and ended up buying the Alderlea T6. The dealer had a demo and sold it to me for the same price as a Summit. I will pick it up next week. Just need some cooler weather so I can try it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.