Help me identify what's in my stacks...worried bout 1st yr.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I gotta get me some of that Beefwood to try...sounds like it would be great. ==c
When in doubt I'd get a moisture meter and learn how to listen to the wood to make sure it's suitable for the stove. Wet wood can make for a miserable season....I learned that the hard way.
You'll also start to get a feel for the heft of a particular specie when it is wet as opposed to dry.
Would have been better to stack the quick-drying stuff by itself in your windiest spot, and the Oak somewhere else for a couple of years. Sorry, you'll have to tear down your stacks and start over.....or just get more wood. ;)

I actually tore down one stack, stacked criss cross, to restack it regular to make room for more wood, but kind of regretting that as the criss-cross stacked really leaves things airy.

Then again, I have two more pickup trucks worth to find a "home" for in my wood lot. damn it's getting tight!

Ok screw it. With this last score (https://www.hearth.com/talk/posts/1432160/) I'm going to launch operation "double split." I'm going to go through my entire stash a d resolution everything that is even decent sized in hopes to accelerate the drying time. If there is any way to dry wood by this fall I'll find it. I'll also restock to fit the large score I just came upon and while I'll lose the criss cross stacking to condense my stacks, I hope the smaller splits will save the day. Goodbye weekends! :p

I actually tore down one stack, stacked criss cross, to restack it regular to make room for more wood, but kind of regretting that as the criss-cross stacked really leaves things airy.

Then again, I have two more pickup trucks worth to find a "home" for in my wood lot. damn it's getting tight!

Get it split and bring it to our place. We have plenty of room. ;)

I've flat out told the wife I designated the side yard (as opposed to the large back yard to save it for the dog) for the wood pile and i'm going to use every inch of it. :p

Before I actually burn anything (purchased a BK Princess Insert this past weekend!) I swear I'll restack everything a time or two as I work out in my mind what is the most optimal use of the space. Hehe.

Get it split and bring it to our place. We have plenty of room. ;)

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.