Help! Min clearance from power line?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

parker8990

Nov 14, 2019
Bloomington, IN
Hello, im wondering how close my wood fired chimney can be to a power line, I just dont want to worry about melting the power line. The line comes off a pole then over my roof to the drop. Its about the same height and about 3ft away. Any help would be appreciated.

You will not melt your line at 3 ft away.

If in doubt call the utility.

Call your power company, they'll come out an take a look.

3ft is the minimum clearance, what type of service do you have? open wire (3 separate wires) or triplex - two insulated wires that are wrapped around a bare cable (neutral)
Chances are those lines are hotter in the summer from the electrical load of the AC running along with all other stuff going in the house. The xlpe skin on the hot legs is very resilient and I wouldn't worry about chimney smoke from 3 ft doing any damage.

3ft is the minimum clearance, what type of service do you have? open wire (3 separate wires) or triplex - two insulated wires that are wrapped around a bare cable (neutral)
Chances are those lines are hotter in the summer from the electrical load of the AC running along with all other stuff going in the house. The xlpe skin on the hot legs is very resilient and I wouldn't worry about chimney smoke from 3 ft doing any damage.
Its two insulated wires wrapped around a bare cable

Its two insulated wires wrapped around a bare cable
Your good to go, although fair warning here, the utility co has an obligation to provide safe and reliable power, they may take issue to the clearance as far as non trained workers (chimney sweep) working near an energized line <300volts insulated be ready to say that all cleaning happens from the stove up and no one goes on the roof. (14yrs power & light guy) depending if you state is an osha or posha state, definitions of high voltage are interpreted differently believe it or not.

Your good to go, although fair warning here, the utility co has an obligation to provide safe and reliable power, they may take issue to the clearance as far as non trained workers (chimney sweep) working near an energized line <300volts insulated be ready to say that all cleaning happens from the stove up and no one goes on the roof. (14yrs power & light guy) depending if you state is an osha or posha state, definitions of high voltage are interpreted differently believe it or not.
Okay, that makes me feel way more comfortable than I was with it