HELP! My PDV25 Englander Pellet Stove has my house pushing 90° on 35° days!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jmshuhart

Mar 5, 2019
Upstate NY
Looking for some help!

My Englander Pellet Stove has been running extremely hot. About 6 weeks ago, I had to replace the top auger. At the same time, I switched pellets to a brand that I used before & also liked. I went from using Lignetics to Instant Heat. Both work great... but i feel like the Instant Heat (cheaper than the Lignetics) has my house TOO HOT to handle!

I burn at the lowest settings of 1 & 3. My boyfriend has taken over pellet stove duties this winter, but I feel like recently, we've been going thru way more pellets. On a 1 & 3 setting, a full hopper lasts less than 12 hours.

I did some research & figured out that the factory setting for those 3 buttons at the bottlm should be 6-4-1. At first, i just reset it, but after some thought... i think that's just gonna burn MORE pellets. It was set at 3-4-1 before I changed it back to factory. I think I'm going to slowly move it back to 3-4-1 bc if I'm understanding correctly... 6 is gonna burn more & make it hotter.

Now i understand different brands of pellets burn differently, but I'm wondering if something in the computer gor changed accidentally while replacing parts. Whyyyy is it 89° in my living room anytime the temp outside is above freezing?

Last night, outside temps was down to 5°. I left it on 1 & 3 overnight & it was a perfect 72° in the living room with the pellet stove.

Please help. Boyfriend complains that he needs to wear sunscreen in the house.

Thank you!

Reactions: tbear853
Put it back down to 3-4-1. If its burning good on heat range 1&2 thats where i would leave it. If you need it warmer just turn up the heat range and fan speed. Changing parts wont change the programming. But if the top auger isn’t the same rpm it will overfeed and it will eat pellets

Put it back down to 3-4-1. If its burning good on heat range 1&2 thats where i would leave it. If you need it warmer just turn up the heat range and fan speed

I'm working on putting it back to 341. The problem is that even at that setting, it's TOO HOT.

where did you get the new auger? Did you verify it only turns 1 time in 60 seconds?

I'm working on putting it back to 341. The problem is that even at that setting, it's TOO HOT.
It might be that the pellet size might be smaller so you may need to close up the hopper plate a tad in the bottom of the hopper. If the pellets are small the plate can let to many drop into the auger

Reactions: Pete Zahria
where did you get the new auger? Did you verify it only turns 1 time in 60 seconds?

Purchased from Home Depot. And no, didn't know I needed to. It was the top Auger. Just watch it with the lid open? Sorry if that's a dumb question. I'm a girl trying to figure out this ish with no handy man skills! Haha

I read something about making sure the stove was running in D mode as well... ??

But a full hopper running out in less than 12 hours on a 1 setting doesn't seem right, that i know for sure. I used to leave it for 13 hour days & catch it to refill when I got home, in the middle of winter (so probably not burning at a 1)

To check or change the mode you have to shut the stove down and unplug. Plug back in and within 4 seconds push the fan speed arrows down at the same time and hold for 10 seconds. Then release and the mode will be displayed in the heat led the up n down arrows change the setting

To check or change the mode you have to shut the stove down and unplug. Plug back in and within 4 seconds push the fan speed arrows down at the same time and hold for 10 seconds. Then release and the mode will be displayed in the heat led the up n down arrows change the setting

Thanks, I'll have to check that out this weekend. Work doesn't put me home till 7pm... then make dinner for everyone, eat, cleanup, get ready for the next day... I don't have time for that ugh lol

It should be burning it D mode, correct? Does anyone know what the other modes are? Is there anything less?

PDVC burn's in D mode and PDV burn's in C mode . Sounds like you may have jumped to A mode. Mine does that ounce in a while if the power goes out suddenly. A is definitely not good.

Not sure how to do that. Never noticed a way to change it.
Sorry I missed this one. There should be a plate in the bottom of your hopper at the auger with a small set screw and slot in the plate. Just looen the screw and close it slightly if your mode is correct. Unless your stove is an older one that is not adjustable.

Sorry I missed this one. There should be a plate in the bottom of your hopper at the auger with a small set screw and slot in the plate. Just looen the screw and close it slightly if your mode is correct. Unless your stove is an older one that is not adjustable.
Thank you for your suggestions, I will definitely be checking them out! Fingers crossed it's an easy fix. Stove was purchased in the Fall of 2011.

Also, if you look at the auger, it should have a label on it telling you what the RPM's are. You want a 1 RPM for this stove.

Eric

Also, if you look at the auger, it should have a label on it telling you what the RPM's are. You want a 1 RPM for this stove.

Eric
Thank you! Unless Home Depot sent the wrong part, I should be good. I'll double check that when I take a peek at everything else this weekend. My boyfriend handles the cleaning & starting up of the stove & he's just not comfortable or knowledgeable enough about it to look at different things, and im home hours later than him & it gets too cold to wait for me. I'm usually the one standing over him saying unscrew that & put this new part there haha.

Heres my auger motor: https://www.homedepot.com/p/England...ger&searchtype=text&semanticToken=2021000000+>++st%3A%7Benglander+auger%7D%3Ast+cnn%3A%7B0%3A0%7D+cnr%3A%7B8%3A0%7D+cnb%3A%7B0%3A0%7D+oos%3A%7B0%3A1%7D+br%3A%7Benglander%7D%3Abr+pt%3A%7Bauger%7D%3Apt+dln%3A%7B575441%7D+tgr%3A%7BNo+stage+info%7D+qu%3A%7Bauger%7D%3Aqu

ok cool you got the right motor. when you check the mode its in, if it is actually in A mode push the arrow up to change it to D mode and leave it till it goes out (D is for the PDV's lil brother the PDVC it will feed less pellets)then hit start and let us know if it made a differance.

ok cool you got the right motor. when you check the mode its in, if it is actually in A mode push the arrow up to change it to D mode and leave it till it goes out (D is for the PDV's lil brother the PDVC it will feed less pellets)then hit start and let us know if it made a differance.
Ssyko she want's C mode . If I am reading her Heading correct she is working on a PDV not a PDVC. Although D will work for her but the stove will not put out to it's potential.

Thats just it it’s to hot now. So D will help drop the temps on range 1

Thats just it it’s to hot now. So D will help drop the temps on range 1
True but if the mode jumped to A , that would have been his problem . Correct? Then it would make sense to set back to factory settings . In my opinion anyway. Then if its still to hot go to D . But With my PDV in D mode on setting 1-5. I can turn the bottom three buttons down to where the flame barely puts any heat out. Just last weekend I left for a small trip friday at 2:00PM so I fill the hopper and turned the heat to 1 and blower to 3 and the bottom three were 341 and when I returned on Sunday at 1:00Pm I just caught it before the pellets ran out. Point being if you learn how to run these stove's they will kick ass or sit there and idle all day.

My only reasoning is they must have a small place if they normally heat on 1-3 @ 3-5-1 so if it got colder they still could go back to “C” or bump up to 5-9 and still save on pellets.

If the sun's out I don't even run my pellet stove when it's 35 degrees outside. It will get too hot in the room even on its lowest setting

My only reasoning is they must have a small place if they normally heat on 1-3 @ 3-5-1 so if it got colder they still could go back to “C” or bump up to 5-9 and still save on pellets.
ok I'm with you now. And I agree you .Yea it would help to know how big of an area they are actually heating.

If the sun's out I don't even run my pellet stove when it's 35 degrees outside. It will get too hot in the room even on its lowest setting
how big an area are you heating. And check your mode first thing to make sure you are not on A

I have a chance to check this out tonight.. question #1. Im checking the top auger to see if its spinning more than once every 60 seconds. Well it wont turn with the hopper open. However, i will say when i open it, close for 10-20 seconds & open again, the auger has moved. Does anyone know if closing the hopper lid acts as a reset or anything for the auger? Short of taking the back off the stove & looking at the motor that way, I'm not sure how else to check it.

Pellets will be running out in about 10 minutes or less &I'll be able to check the other suggestions then.