HELP! My PDV25 Englander Pellet Stove has my house pushing 90° on 35° days!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I would try and take it back but with hd I would not hold out much luck. With winter over I would definitely change out the motor to the correct one over the summer.
I spoke to their customer service. I have a month left to make a return. But they told me to just order a new one &return the old one. I noticed the price has dropped $15 since January, go figure! I think I will wait like u said... and just say its the new one i buy a few months from now that I'm returning.

Thank you everyone for all of your help on this. Its been a HOT coupke of months & I'm loving how comfortable my house is this morning lol

More than likely, you will still receive the same 120v motor as another replacement. Searching by 4515ui-050 points back to the newer 120v you received. If you want the 115v, looks like you will need to contact merkle. This is what I have gathered from searching on the original model number.

Honestly any pdvc/pdv i have worked on i find it best to buy the auger motors as a pair. change both save the good for spare and move on with life. pellet \head had a deal last winter for 2 motors for 65 bucks. as long as both motors are the same i've never had an issue dialing it in.

Reactions: Mt Bob
Bob you are one of the last people on here that I would want to correct but these Pdv / pdvc stoves do not react well to thermostats. Main reason is because of the lava piles or ash piles they leave in the burn pot. They do not like to restart if they burn out. As far as the stove being to big. I tend to agree but I also know from experience that you can dial them down to Luke warm air being released and consumption will last for days. They may be on the cheaper side of stoves but if you can figure out how to run yours they are great trouble free stoves that throw a lot of heat. Rant over sorry
I stand corrected,thanks for your experience.

Reactions: Ssyko
Did you get this solved I experienced much the same this past winter and wonder how it all turned out.

Well. Last year, I took what we assumed was the "too fast" auger & moved it to the bottom & the stove ran just fine the end of last season & this year.

A coupke weeks ago, the top auger motor went so I went ahead & stupidly ordered another one from home depot. I thought for sure my issue last year was a fluke, it wouldn't happen again. WRONG. House ended up even hotter than last year with 2 too fast motors. So I ordered another one from stove parts 4 less & just got it put in today.

Stove is still in start up mode, but something I'm noticing is I can actually HEAR the motor turning, every 12 seconds or so. I've never heard the motor turn before. Anyone else? Think this is okay?

Oh, and avoid buying the part from Home Depot, I learned my lesson UGH!

I can hear my auger turning on my PDV as long as the room blower hasn't turned on. Definitely more noticeable now that I replaced my combustion motor, new one is much quieter. Been that way since I bought it 11 years ago.

Eric

Okay, please send your favorite website for replacement parts! The second motor I got (from Stove Parts 4 Less) is STILL too fast. However its only 85 degrees instead of 95 when I wake up in the morning. It's like they just don't make them 1RPM anymore & it's getting old. Do I need to buy direct from Englander? Where's everyone go. I used to always buy from Home Depot.

I got mine at Grainger. I had to reverse the rotor as they only had CW rotating motors and the Englander's need CCW. Been working like a champ for a couple of years now.

Eric

Reactions: Ssyko
Ready to cry. I feel like this is never gonna end for me. Come to find out, I was sent the wrong part. Replaced again this fall & worked GREAT for about a month.

Cleaned it out the other day, turned it back on, and it's HOT HOT HOT again, wth!! I lowered the feed down to 2 (so Im 2-4-1, traditionally burn 3-4-1) & it's still scorching in here. A full hopper was going 16 hrs last week... now I'm not even making 12 hours!

What the heck could it be? The new motor had been working fine... what now is causing it to feed too fast?

Sounds like the rpm is still to hi. Can you close the gate a little in the bottom of the hopper?

Sounds like the rpm is still to hi. Can you close the gate a little in the bottom of the hopper?
It was working perfectly the last month. Had a couple 50 degree days & I left it off, turned it back on & had a problem again. That's why I'm confused, it was great.

I'm not sure I can adjust the feed from the hopper. I don't think model allows it (25-pdvc/55-shp10).

All The older pdv and pdvc had a gate but new one i guess they don't but you can put one in. As the prices have gone up aftermarket parts is the only way folks can save a buck, but we all have to make things work. This is a pic of a similar one i added to a customers stove this fall.
A80DB2B7-E3BA-4C80-9B1E-FF4E98817A4B.png

Hi. At least you are warm. Kinda sounds to me like your control board has a mind of its own.I would hav e to recommend the newest available.

All The older pdv and pdvc had a gate but new one i guess they don't but you can put one in. As the prices have gone up aftermarket parts is the only way folks can save a buck, but we all have to make things work. This is a pic of a similar one i added to a customers stove this fall.
View attachment 268395
Interesting. I'll have to look into it. I just want my stove to run normal again :( What's the life on these, can that be my excuse? It's going into its 10th winter lol

Hi. At least you are warm. Kinda sounds to me like your control board has a mind of its own.I would hav e to recommend the newest available.
Warm is an understatement I was thinking maybe control board is facing some issues too. I don't really know how to test that theory though.

Warm is an understatement I was thinking maybe control board is facing some issues too. I don't really know how to test that theory though.
Well,unless you have the time,and the right numbers,kinda hard to do.but,in my mind.if stove worked for a while,augers ran at proper speed,but now run too fast,and you have not changed the motors, kinda only leaves the control board.

Have you changed brand of pellets. Larger pellets will not feed as much per cycle as smaller ones.

where in upstate are you?

For giggles, did you check to see if maybe the board changed programming modes on you?

Eric

For giggles, did you check to see if maybe the board changed programming modes on you?
All the above. Ran OK, Shut down. Restart. Things changed... suspect..board..