Help on Green mountain 60

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rbcarter

Sep 19, 2022
Kentucky
So yesterday I ordered a green mountain 60 then I found all the problems people have been having so I contacted my dealer and they said I have until tomorrow to change my order if I want.

Would I be better off with the green mountain 60 or the heritage?

Reactions: Crab
So yesterday I ordered a green mountain 60 then I found all the problems people have been having so I contacted my dealer and they said I have until tomorrow to change my order if I want.

Would I be better off with the green mountain 60 or the heritage?
seems like some of the stoves early on in the run had some issues with the baffle/primary air. other issues that have been raised have been about poor performance or smoke spillage related to insufficient draft. these stoves require relatively high draft to function properly. pulling straight from the manual....

"The Green Mountain 60 requires a draft between 0.06" and 0.1" WC."

"The recommended minimum chimney height is 14 feet (3 m) off the floor. The recommended maximum chimney height is 30 feet (9m).The Green Mountain 60 requires a draft between 0.08” and 0.15” water column.

Not really sure why they have 2 different specs in the manual. 🤷‍♂️ but its a reoccurring theme that the manuals have mistakes and reference the wrong stove.... so that doesn't build confidence. The shelburne which is basically the same stove with a cast iron exterior says "0.06" and 0.1" WC".

Reactions: rashomon
I have a GM60. This will be my second winter. It has some Pros and Cons. If i were to do it again i'd get a BK, but that's not necessarily because this stove is bad, it's just i think a different model would work better in my situation now that I've learned more.

I think we need more info - can you describe your chimney/venting situation? Can you describe your goals/intentions with this stove? (i.e. 24/7 heating, ambience, power outages, etc)

I see you're in Kentucky - my assumption would be ambience, and the occasional power outage or cold snap? in which case i think the GM60 might be a good fit. Assuming your venting situation allows for adequate draft.

I have a GM60. This will be my second winter. It has some Pros and Cons. If i were to do it again i'd get a BK, but that's not necessarily because this stove is bad, it's just i think a different model would work better in my situation now that I've learned more.

I think we need more info - can you describe your chimney/venting situation? Can you describe your goals/intentions with this stove? (i.e. 24/7 heating, ambience, power outages, etc)

I see you're in Kentucky - my assumption would be ambience, and the occasional power outage or cold snap? in which case i think the GM60 might be a good fit. Assuming your venting situation allows for adequate draft.
I’m actually still building my house and am completely new to wood heat so I’m just trying to get as much info as possible.

I plan to use the stove as my primary heat source

I talked to my rep and did decide to switch to the heritage. He told me it would be a better 24/7 stove than the green mountain

Great! I believe they're very similar stoves in terms of the burn system, and firebox/door size and shape. The GM60 has the soapstone tucked inside in place of fire brick, whereas the Heritage is more of a full Soapstone body. Also looks like the firebox is about 10% bigger on the heritage, which is good.
Good luck! I'm sure these forums will be very helpful as you move forward.

I’m actually still building my house and am completely new to wood heat so I’m just trying to get as much info as possible.

I plan to use the stove as my primary heat source

I talked to my rep and did decide to switch to the heritage. He told me it would be a better 24/7 stove than the green mountain

If you're completely new to wood stoves you need to know that if you don't have dry wood (and the chance of you buying dry wood right now is slim to none regardless of what the guy selling the wood says) already you are not going to be happy with the stoves performance this winter.

Reactions: kkitty
As Tabner said the Hearthstone is a great stove (infact I think the best) for ambiance, supplemental cold snap heating, and power outages. I own a GM40 and love its looks, size, and tight clearances to combustibles. It is the centerpiece of my living room.

However I use mine as a primary heat source in New England and I wish it was more of a work horse. I need to reload it every 3-4 hours or so, It doesn't get a true overnight burn, and I find the catalyst to be more trouble than the minimal value it adds to this particular stove when burning 24/7. I end up servicing my catalyst at least every month.

Keep in mind our winters get cold and my stove is on the smaller end of what would work for my square footage so I need to run it pretty hard it to use it as a primary heat source. Also another key thing to consider is it will keep my 1500 sf 2 story house completely comfortable in sub freezing temps sustainably which is impressive for a stove of this size.

I have a 27 foot double wall insulated metal chimney that drafts like a beast.

If you're completely new to wood stoves you need to know that if you don't have dry wood (and the chance of you buying dry wood right now is slim to none regardless of what the guy selling the wood says) already you are not going to be happy with the stoves performance this winter.
Yeah I’ve been thinking about that. Delivery date on the stove isn’t until mid January so I may have to use the electric heat when we first move in but my dad burns wood and always has a few year supply so I may borrow seasoned wood from him and replace it with what I’ve cut from my land.

I have 3 winters worth of wood stacked from clearing my land to build my house but I don’t plan to use it until next winter.

I appreciate all the feedback

I honestly think the wood stove is the thing I’m most looking forward to about moving into the new house

Reactions: mdocod
As Tabner said the Hearthstone is a great stove (infact I think the best) for ambiance, supplemental cold snap heating, and power outages. I own a GM40 and love its looks, size, and tight clearances to combustibles. It is the centerpiece of my living room.

However I use mine as a primary heat source in New England and I wish it was more of a work horse. I need to reload it every 3-4 hours or so, It doesn't get a true overnight burn, and I find the catalyst to be more trouble than the minimal value it adds to this particular stove when burning 24/7. I end up servicing my catalyst at least every month.

Keep in mind our winters get cold and my stove is on the smaller end of what would work for my square footage so I need to run it pretty hard it to use it as a primary heat source. Also another key thing to consider is it will keep my 1500 sf 2 story house completely comfortable in sub freezing temps sustainably which is impressive for a stove of this size.

I have a 27 foot double wall insulated metal chimney that drafts like a beast.
Pretty tall chimney, maybe a pipe damper could help?

I appreciate all the feedback

I honestly think the wood stove is the thing I’m most looking forward to about moving into the new house
Good luck RBcarter. I felt the same way when we built 5 years ago. Sitting in front of the wood stove is still my favorite part of our new house. Enjoy.

Reactions: marty319
We bought and installed a new Green Mountain 60 soapstone with cat about 4 months ago. Been running fires for 2 months now and decided to return the stove for a refund. Way too many issues for me to deal with and super disappointed in this thing. Smoke blow back, hard to stay lit, VERY LITTLE HEAT, no radiant heat, lots of ash coming out the front. small fire box and low height inside. I am going back to an older used stove without a cat convertor. Trying to find a Jotul or other decent heat monster.

That sounds exactly like my GM60 when I put wet wood in it.
The rest of the time it heats my home great.

That sounds exactly like my GM60 when I put wet wood in it.
The rest of the time it heats my home great.
Sounds like pretty much every modern stove out there when you put wet wood in it

Yes I agree. I plan to install one to turn it down a bit on cold days
Be careful with this advice! We’ve had a few hearthstones build up gas with the pipe damper shut and blow the top stones off! Heaves the entire top in the right circumstances. We’ve sold Hearthstone for almost as long as they’ve been in existence. It’s at the bottom of my list if I’m looking to buy. I actually prefer the green mountain over the soapstone models. It’s just not a rugged design.. If I wanted soapstone I’d go with a Woodstock hands down!

Webby, Green Mountain is a soapstone model. Stone is on the inside. You must be referring to outside stones getting blown off?

Webby, Green Mountain is a soapstone model. Stone is on the inside. You must be referring to outside stones getting blown off?
I’m very familiar. The OP originally purchased a GM60 but switched to a heritage.
He’s still building his house, so by the time it’s done the stove might be available. We are being told next year for almost stove except from Lopi.

This is my current issue and I believe the wood is still wet (just ordered the moisture meter to confirm). There’s definitely some 6 month old pine that got mixed in along with wood from the base of a large tree that was downed over a year ago but I only cut to length and split a week ago. Thought the Colorado summer would dry it but I hear it doesn’t truly dry until split.

My issues began this past week and I’ve been scouring this forum for solutions. I never knew exactly where the primary Airfeed holes are, and have been very frustrated to not find photos – only a description that its front and center. This morning after a thorough cleaning of the front lip, I noticed a hole that was clogged. Is that single hole on the front lip center the only hole for the primary air feed? I obviously know the secondary comes from the upper bar in the back, but thought I read elsewhere there are holes (plural) for the primary, and I got the impression they were along the floor in the center.

My stove has been great. Aside from this week and during Highwinds. My dealer recommended the normal wind cap, but just gave me a Highwind rotating win cap to try out. I had hoped to use my stove for 24/7 when I’m home and maybe should have gone a different route if others suggest. I do have to add logs every 3 hours to keep it going and it doesn’t go through the night.

@rashomon what stove do you have, can you add it in your profile signature for future reference? You should be able to get more than 3 hours out of most stoves, certainly a GM60.
The primary air is that hole in the front center just below the lip, facing in, that would be called the “dog house” informally here. In addition I believe there is a primary air flow down the front door called the air wash, on most of these hearthstones.