Help, our wheelbarrow died

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I replaced handles. I bought new carriage bolts (grade 5) and cut the old ones off. Made for a quick easy job. Well worth it.

I'd recommend removing those grade 5 bolts and replacing with common grade, while you can still turn'em. Imagine trying to cut those rusted grade 5 bolts out when you need to replace the handles the next time!

I finally replaced the handle, $14 at TSC. Thanks for the advice.
C0A298BE-94B9-4710-80CF-61719F14B94D-10507-00000F854D7734DC.jpg

We have one of these Fort brand wheelbarrows http://www.tufx-fort.com/wheelbarrows/pe100/ :
lg_Wheelbarrow.jpg

Seen the highway paving guys using one at the time we were shopping and figured that if the highway guys couldnt kill it, neither could we! That was 10 years ago, and its still going strong. I should point out we live in a salt air environment and the wheelbarrow lives outside too.

That said, I think the next one will be a two-wheeler. Fort makes one, and if it's as good as the one above, Id have no issues buying it. http://www.tufx-fort.com/wheelbarrows/px162/

I have a green Fort wheelbarrow that I have used for moving firewood for about four years now. It is strong and extremely light-weight. I fill it full with firewood; mind you, I place the wood in with care and don't throw it. It is still going strong.

Reactions: scooby074
Just bought our 2nd one of these at Home Depot. Fantastic, heavy duty, light weight and handles very well.
Made by Rubber Maid Commercial products for about $140

Attachments

• cart.jpg
    cart.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 225
Reactions: JoeyD
I don't know what "common grade" is but the only thing I use on stuff is either grade 5 or 8. If it rusts on oh well, quick buzz with a grinder will take care of that.

I'd recommend removing those grade 5 bolts and replacing with common grade, while you can still turn'em. Imagine trying to cut those rusted grade 5 bolts out when you need to replace the handles the next time!

I don't know what "common grade" is but the only thing I use on stuff is either grade 5 or 8. If it rusts on oh well, quick buzz with a grinder will take care of that.
I would imagine Alaska weather calls for planning on replacing parts, how easily can you repair what you buy because the weather is going to wreck havoc with whatever you have?

Grade 2 = common hardware fastener grade.

Sometimes I don't want to use a hardened Grade 5 or 8. Grade 2 can actually protect some materials and equipment better than the extra hardened grades because it will shear before the joined pieces of metal rip under excess stress (or before a drive axle twists under excess stress).

Reactions: Ashful
I have no idea what your asking me! Most of my junk I store indoors or covered.

I would imagine Alaska weather calls for planning on replacing parts, how easily can you repair what you buy because the weather is going to wreck havoc with whatever you have?

Grade 2 = common hardware fastener grade.

Sometimes I don't want to use a hardened Grade 5 or 8. Grade 2 can actually protect some materials and equipment better than the extra hardened grades because it will shear before the joined pieces of metal rip under excess stress (or before a drive axle twists under excess stress).
Good to know...thanks

I have no idea what your asking me! Most of my junk I store indoors or covered.
was not really a question. just a comment on that fact that more severe weather calls for better planning on what you buy and how you prepare....should not have had the question mark at the end of the statement, sorry for the confusion.

Just bought our 2nd one of these at Home Depot. Fantastic, heavy duty, light weight and handles very well.
Made by Rubber Maid Commercial products for about $140

Being a RubberMaid commercial product, I'm sure it's well-built, but I find those two-wheeled carts to be far more frustration than they're worth. I can get into and around much tighter spaces with my regular one-wheeled wheelbarrow, and never had so much trouble balancing that I saw any need for a second wheel.

Being a RubberMaid commercial product, I'm sure it's well-built, but I find those two-wheeled carts to be far more frustration than they're worth. I can get into and around much tighter spaces with my regular one-wheeled wheelbarrow, and never had so much trouble balancing that I saw any need for a second wheel.
For me it is fine and for my wife it is genius. Try having your wife push around a wheel barrow filled with rocks....one with one wheel one with 2 wheels and ask her which one she likes better. Happy wife, Happy life.

Good point, and good for you! I'm not sure if my wife is even aware that we own a wheelbarrow, let alone how many wheels it has. :rolleyes:

Reactions: ArsenalDon
Status
Not open for further replies.