Help picking an insert please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jbick1

Nov 2, 2022
Southeastern CT
Hi. I’m late to the party clearly because nothing is available but I’m looking to put a wood insert in my fireplace to supplement oil. Duh

I’m limited by a 16.5 depth. I think i have like 32” across-width. The Quadrafire Expedition I will fit with no special accommodations. But. In my research i learned that Vermont Castings Gifford (which you can’t get til late March ) is the same animal as the Exped I and there’s no fire control. Quad calls it “automatic combustion control.” Is this really a big deal?

My other option is looking like a comparable small Regency OR the medium non-cat model…2450 i want to say. What turned me off with the Regency is the a la carte pricing….faceplate extra, blower extra! Plus the Regency projects WAY out and I’m not sure I like that look.

A lot to unpack but I’d love some feedback. It’s clear that there’s some well informed people on here.

Thanks !

Welcome. Did you read this thread?

It's going to be more of a case of what's available unless it's ok to wait, perhaps until spring. Projection out onto the hearth often means the insert will heat better during a power outage, if that is important. Flush inserts may look trim but they have their caveats like blower dependency, ash dropping onto the hearth more easily, E/W loading, etc.