help selecting options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

save$

Minister of Fire
Sep 22, 2008
Chelsea Maine
I have an older majestic prefab wood burning fire place that we have not used in years because they waste more heat than they give. Our raised ranch is currently heated mostly with a pellet stove located on the first floor. We have an oil furnace but prefer not to use any more oil than that needed for the hot water.
We are in the process of making up our minds on a Majestic propane fireplace insert. This stove will be in our living room. (second floor) I would have gone to another pellet stove, but I don't want to be driven out by the heat, or lug bags of pellets up the stairs. I am only interested in bringing up the temp a few degrees in that room. A couple of options we are considering is 1. a blower. 2, thermostat, remote or wall mounted. This stove will be direct vent and have outside air installed for combustion. Any thoughts?

The blower will distribute heat better and create a more even temp in the room if there is not good circulation in that room.

Wall mounted stat on a wire is more reliable, remote can be moved to diff locations to find the best location for the stat.

Of course you get the blower. May not need it but when you need it you have it. I also agree with the wall mounted thermostats being more reliable. I guess for the sake of your local dealer, if your one of those scutchy customer who will call whining when you forget to change the battery in your remote..go wall mounted. If you know how to read and follow simple directions, go with the remote thermostat. Its much more cool.

Thanks for the info. The blower and wall mount thermostat seems to be the way I think I'll go. We have so many remote controls sitting on our coffee table. We also have grandchildren who are with us 2 or 3 days every week. Those remotes seems to have a life of their own. Our Dealer is working up some prices for us. I'll need to take a good look at what he submits, but from the initial ball park range, I think he is treating us fairly and competently. Initially, I wanted to put a pellet stove in, we have one now on the ground level of our home. My wife is capable of dumping pellets in the hopper, and knows how to turn it off. She is insistent not to have one up in our living room. I think she doesn't want the shop vac in there, or the dust. She also does not want me lifting the pellets up the stairs. Each year she grows more paranoid about what we would do if we lost our power again like we did during the ice storm of '98' We also are considering getting a gas stove and, when our hot water heater fails, replacing it with one of those gas "on demand" hot water heaters. Propane is a domestic product. I'm good with that. I know the price will move right along with oil, but so does wood and pellets.
Does any one have any idea about how much propane a fireplace uses when it used as a secondary heat source? Our living room is an open concept with the kitchen, dining area, and hallways. and is about 600 sq feet. we are talking about getting the temp up about 4-6 degrees for less than half the day.

save$ said:
Does any one have any idea about how much propane a fireplace uses when it used as a secondary heat source? Our living room is an open concept with the kitchen, dining area, and hallways. and is about 600 sq feet. we are talking about getting the temp up about 4-6 degrees for less than half the day.

LP usage is based on the BTU input rating of the appliance.
If it's a 30K BTU input unit, & there's 91.5K BTU in a gallon of LP,
the math says you'll burn a gallon in approximately 3 hrs. with the
gas valve regulator set to high & burning CONSTANTLY.
The pilot will also use some, but will take about 4 days to burn 1 gallon...
By turning the regulator down or by using a thermostat,
you will take more hours to burn those LP gallons.

Status
Not open for further replies.