Help spend my money

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

oldbrick1974

Nov 9, 2022
Iowa
After an eye-opening trip to a pair of dealers, I am not looking for some advice on my path forward and was hoping you guys could help. I'd really like to get something far more efficient than my Heatilator Mark 123 model 3036 because wood-wise, it's essentially just like have a little bonfire in the house that doesn't actually heat anything. I was quoted a Timberwolf Economizer (EPI22) at $2,499 (not including installation or pipe liner), a Napoleon Oakdale $4,849 (also just unit) and the other place had a Lopi Answer and Blaze King (can't remember the model now) for around $3,000.

Local used market has a Lopi Answer for $750. a Century Heating CW2500 $500 and a few Highlanders for $350. If I went this route, do I need to look for something that has a rear exhaust or would I have enough room for a top exhaust?

I'm still not terribly familiar with the terminology, but I wouldn't mind the "hearth mount," or non-flush option if it's cheaper than the insert.

Anyone have any advise? Is it worth buying new and maybe trying to get the tax credit? Both dealers told me prices will be going up next year, but do I maybe wait and save a little more and wait? I'd really like to stick around the $3,500 mark for this project.

Attached are my dimensions and my current pipe is 14.5" OD and 8.5" ID. This is in a brick ranch, basement is about 1,200 square feet, same as the upstairs. Planning on just venting or putting a register directly into the upstairs.

PXL_20221117_143916559.MP.jpg PXL_20221109_154057212.jpg

you won't find many on here that have any complaints at all about blaze king stoves. they're in a league of their own. Cat stoves aren't for everyone though. there are plenty of people who are very happy with their secondary burn stoves.

You will need to contact Heatilator to get the ok to put an insert in this fireplace. Get it in writing. If they say no, then a tearout and replacement is advised.
ZC fireplace, the previous discussion is here.