Help! Thermocoupler Location /Flue temps US Stove 1557m

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

walkerj001

Oct 27, 2016
Michigan
Here is an image of where I installed my thermocoupler in chimney pipe. I didnt go higher due to barometric draft regulator. Surface readings at about 400 on front of stove and flue temps readings aroud 800 or so. Figured reading may be a little higher due to thermocoupler being lower on stove pipe. Is this temp to high? What would the pros recommend?

Also attached setup image of how I have everything laid out. Thermostat for draft inducer motor, PID controller for thermocoupler readout , woodstove motor speed controller and toggle switches (2) on for PID controller power and the other for the alarm that is hook to it when temp is over a certain temp.

Thanks for reading and the help.
Have a good day

Jason

Attachments

• IMG_0929.JPG
    IMG_0929.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_0928.JPG
    IMG_0928.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Wood furnace setup? What make and model?

Here is an image showing my setup. The stove is a US Stove 1557m. Aftermarket blowers and replaced the cheap OEM ones that came with it. Hooked up to speed controller so we dont heat ourselfs out of the house. One high end after buring tonight the flue temps were around 750 to 850 degrees, seen 900 for a very short period of time. Cut down the air going into stove and put it around 800-825 for a while.

Thanks
Jason

Attachments

• IMG_0930.JPG
    IMG_0930.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 164
Here is an image showing my setup. The stove is a US Stove 1557m. Aftermarket blowers and replaced the cheap OEM ones that came with it. Hooked up to speed controller so we dont heat ourselfs out of the house. One high end after buring tonight the flue temps were around 750 to 850 degrees, seen 900 for a very short period of time. Cut down the air going into stove and put it around 800-825 for a while.

Thanks
Jason

Image with better lighting

Attachments

• IMG_0931.JPG
    IMG_0931.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 173
Moved to the Boiler and Furnace forum so that you can get some comparisons with other wood furnace flue temps.

How are you measuring that 800? Via the thermocouple (or is that just controlling), or something else?

EDIT: OK, on re-read, sounds like thermocouple? I have no experience with this unit, hopefully you get feedback - but it sounds a bit high to me. Are there any recommendations/specs in the manual? Or can you get some by calling them?

Do you know if your draft is in spec or not?

Yes everything in spec, they recommended a flue temp of between 300f to 600f degrees. The question is if the location of my thermocoupler is providing a higher reading based on the location I used? Most mfg recommend 18" above the stove, but mine is lower due to needing to be before the draft regulator. The confusing part though is most chimney pipes come out center of the stove where mine has the elbow and comes out the backside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They should maybe then also have a recommendation of where that 300-600 is measured.

But that looks like it would be pretty close to 18" from the breach anyway? I don't think that's playing a factor.

Can you cut the air down more? I don't think I will be much more help, no experience with one of those.

(That cleanout cap looks pretty close to the drywall - but maybe it's the pic perspective? Usually the T is on the other way, with the cleanout pointing to the floor.)