Help to settle a bet?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KateC

Hearth Supporter
Oct 7, 2006
Arizona
www.flickr.com
If you have 2 random pieces of split wood---same size and species but from different unknown sources and neither being 'dry'---how might you determine which is seasoned/wet and which is UNseasoned/wet? Would the weight or color be different, and/or if seasoned wood gets soaked, would the checked ends swell closed and the bark 're-stick'?

Sorry about the stupid question but additional opinions could be useful. Thanks

Split the pieces open and check them. As far as weight, maybe there could be a difference between dry, and green wood. As far as the ends swelling and the cracks dissappearing, Doubt it and if its seasoned the bark should come right off. If not I dont see the bark re-attaching itself.

Weight tells the tale, Kate. Less moisture content means (measurably) less weight.

As to the end checks (cracks), dry wood will absorb moisture and the cracks will disappear, only to quickly reappear once the wood dries out again. Wood that has been thoroughly dried but re-wetted will dry out much more quickly than green wood. So, if you dry it good once, you've pretty much got it made.

Dylan, 1160 posts (actually more, when ash can old deleted are considered) and I wonder how many actually say something I can understand!

I say the bark does not reattach and the checks do not go away. Unseasoned wet wood is pretty obvious as compared to green.

I have 2 year old oak stacked outside and not covered (yet). It has been raining for 3 days the wood is soaked and the end checks are still present, as big as usual. (most of the bark has been off for awhile and I dont see any of it reattaching itself) the exterior has gotten slimy but equal size pieces compared with what was fallen this year are much lighter.

Dylan said:
Webmaster said:
Dylan, 1160 posts .... and I wonder how many actually say something I can understand!

Yeah, and just wait til we get to the serious stuff like "Recipes for Boiling Water".

LOL, too funny

All my water is holy water I burn the hell out of it

And good morning to you kate nice and warm in your home a bit chilly last night?

dang...wash the dishes while chamting "I am a Chowdahhead"? Please, oh please, take a vid of that and publish it here! LOL

Dylan said:
Webmaster said:
Dylan, 1160 posts .... and I wonder how many actually say something I can understand!

Yeah, and just wait til we get to the serious stuff like "Recipes for Boiling Water".

I have some recipes for that too. I don't get it..... Uhhh. Would that be cooked on an electric stove or a wood stove...Way different recipe

Dylan said:
Webmaster said:

Recipe for dark brown, smoked favoured Boiled Eggs

Two eggs
One half quart water

Place water into one quart pan.
Add both eggs in shell whole.
Boil water and eggs on HI heat

Start large floor sander.
Cook until the smell of burnt eggs fills the house
Stop floor sanding, remove eggs from pan and enjoy .

Status
Not open for further replies.