HELP!! Which Pellet!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

titanracer

Feeling the Heat
Nov 10, 2011
South Central PA., Newville
I have exactly 1 ton of Somerset/Hamer's mixed in garage. I hate to burn these good, hot pellets, when it has been so warm out. If possible, I would like to keep them for next year. My delema here is, if I buy 5 bags a week, to get thru to mid april, which ones do I buy. My choices are: Stove Chow (Home Depot), North American Pellet (Lowe's), Green Supreme (Lowe's), Lignetics Green Lettering (Farm Supply Place), Energex (Agway). I have tried/tested all of these this year except the North American Pellet. I truthly don't know which way to go. From all you guys experience, which way would you lean. I now all pellets burn different, in everybodys stoves, but I can't make my mind up. All I do know, is I hate to burn up my excellent pellets, on this crazy weather.
Thanks!!

If you are just looking to get through the shoulder season just burn the cheapest ones. Be ready to empty your ash pan often, though.

If you tend to run at low heat settings than you probably want to stay with a pellet with a low ash level.
Here is some comparison information from my burning with Somerset being my standard barer, but realized I optimize my stove setting for the cleanest burn for each pellet, so if you just run your stove at the same settings your results will be different.

Keep in mind this is my stove using an infrared heat recording device, so these recordings can be used as a temperature differential gauge at best based on my stove’s ability to burn a given pellet, and my ability to optimize (tune) for the cleanest burn:

These readings are taken from a warm stove with the heat range set at #3 out of #5.

Somerset: 289*F, very little ash, fairly clean glass, little carbon build up, no clinkers.
Instant Heat: 237*F, bunch of ash, dirty glass, some carbon build up, on clinkers, did not like to burn at low settings.
Green Supreme: 261*F, double the ash of Somerset, fairly clean glass, little carbon build up, no clinkers.
Stove Chow: 265*F, over double the ash of Somerset, dirty glass, some carbon build up, no clinkers.
American Wood Fiber (AWF): 279*F, less than double the ash of Somerset, fairly clean glass, some carbon build up, no clinkers.
North American Pellet: 270*F, double the ash of Somerset, very clean glass, little carbon build up, no clinkers.
Maine Wood Pellet (MWP): 276*F, less than double the ash of Somerset, fairly clean glass, little carbon build up, no clinkers.

Triple D Dried Cherry Pits: I found that at a ratio of 10% CP to 90% Pellets the CP would add 5-10*F temp to the burn without needing to tune the flame. At higher ratios than this the temperature reduced dramatically because I didn’t tune the flame. A higher ratio of Cherry Pits also made loud popping sounds as the CP go through the auger, and when the agitator rod activates, so it wasn’t worth it to me to tune the flame for best results. No extra ash, or carbon build up was observed with the lower ratio.

All the above temperatures were measured on my GCI60/M55, but the Enviro Maxx stove recorded temperatures that were consistently lower by 5-8*F for anyone that is curious for comparison purposes.

I have yet to try any of the other pellets that are on my signature, for the weather has been too mild to waste the super-premium pellets (I just add some Cherry Pitts for some extra heat if needed).
*Note that I just picked up the Green Teams recently, so that is the reason that I haven’t tested the GT yet, not that I expect GT to perform in the super-premium pellet range.

Reactions: Tom59
I would like to see prices before I make any comments. We call this warm part of the heating season the "shoulders". This is where you can get away with cheaper fuel. Or the best heat for the buck spent. Notice how 1D listed his temp readings. You could choose from the highest heat reading for the most reasonable priced pellet.

Out of your list, I've only burned the stove chow and the green supreme, but my vote would be stove chow, assuming the price was all the same.

I'd say the Stove Chow, as long as the price is right. The green letter Lignetics are better than a shoulder pellet. And the North American pellets didn't burn well in my stove...poor heat output, but would be an OK shoulder pellet if the price was cheap.

imacman said:
I'd say the Stove Chow, as long as the price is right. The green letter Lignetics are better than a shoulder pellet. And the North American pellets didn't burn well in my stove...poor heat output, but would be an OK shoulder pellet if the price was cheap.

One of the reasons I asked for pricing. If he can get the Liggies for about the same as the Chow? I'd be all over them ligs!!! I'd also agree and take the chow over the NA.

j-takeman said:
......If he can get the Liggies for about the same as the Chow? I'd be all over them ligs!!!......

Agreed. I was going on the assumption that the Ligs were probably going to be more $$.

imacman said:
j-takeman said:
......If he can get the Liggies for about the same as the Chow? I'd be all over them ligs!!!......

Agreed. I was going on the assumption that the Ligs were probably going to be more $$.

Local TSC did have em for $214. But I missed out. Only scored 4 bags at $4 something each. They have MWP and GS for the same price. I would have stashed all I could of the liggies for that price! Next nearest dealer had em for $280/ton!

I used to think heat and than ash. But I have now gone to the heat and price! Must be getting cheap in my old age? ;-)

j-takeman said:
imacman said:

One of the reasons I asked for pricing. If he can get the Liggies for about the same as the Chow? I'd be all over them ligs!!! I'd also agree and take the chow over the NA.

Stove Chow (HD) $4.87 a bag, Lignetics (Green Lettering) $5.00 a bag, Lowes NAP/GS $4.85 a bag, Energex $5.00 a bag

j-takeman said:
I would like to see prices before I make any comments. We call this warm part of the heating season the "shoulders". This is where you can get away with cheaper fuel. Or the best heat for the buck spent. Notice how 1D listed his temp readings. You could choose from the highest heat reading for the most reasonable priced pellet.

I agree 100% with this statement! ;-)

Get The Stove Chow, A really Good Shoulder Pellet....

j-takeman said:

Shoulders ???? It is supposed to be 2°F around here tonight. You CT folks have it too damn easy.

SmokeyTheBear said:
j-takeman said:

Shoulders ???? It is supposed to be 2°F around here tonight. You CT folks have it too damn easy.

My SC and GT's have carried me through. Only used 4 bags of the good stuff so far and really didn't need too. Just didn't want the lady with the frying pan to start swingin at me!

OP~ Get the liggies and you can handle most any weather. Or heck mix and match with some chow to save a nickle or 2!

OP~ Get the liggies and you can handle most any weather. Or heck mix and match with some chow to save a nickle or 2![/quote]

Specifically, the GREEN Liggies! And even more specifically, the green liggies that are 100% HARDWOOD.

sandpipe said:
OP~ Get the liggies and you can handle most any weather. Or heck mix and match with some chow to save a nickle or 2!

Specifically, the GREEN Liggies! And even more specifically, the green liggies that are 100% HARDWOOD.[/quote]

Both green ligs are fine by me. I hear the blue aren't though.

Status
Not open for further replies.