Help with New stove decision

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerryo

Aug 24, 2014
Illinois/Wisconsin
Just purchased small cabin approximately 1000 sq ft. Southwest Wisconsin and In the process of deciding on which woodstove is best to install ...relatively New construction and well insulated. Cabin has loft up w 2 bedrooms. Ceiling is open and steep roof insulated...more than 12 in 12 pitch. Bldg has heat pump installed with both a/c and heat..
I have visited and spent time in 2 local quality stoveshops. Looked at several lines of stoves...budget is a factor as the range of cost with installation is from $3500 to $5000 installed. I do like the pacific Energy stoves but would still appreciate your guidance:

Super 27
vista
True North..

The vista has a small firebox I believe. the sup 27 has a spacious box but could be too big for this building..the difference in retail of these 3 stoves is close to $1000..having just spent a considerable amount of $ to buy the place,The budget reality is hitting...currently I'm shifting my attention to True North although I have not yet seen....the 2 dealers also handle morso, Vermont casting,energy King, Avalon, Lopi, Enerzone etc..
Your advice will be very helpful ..I'm faced with the dilemma of trying to decide whether the size of the firebox is an important matter relative to the size the cabin ..this will be a non cat stove ..I am deciding not to install a blower but your general advice and direction will be very helpful...
At a former cabin in southern Ohio , I had a.
Vermont casting Resolute and was extremely happy with it but the company has changed hands and direction several times ...I am concerned about that so I'm shifting my attention to the stoves described above.. I will appreciate your thoughts and direction...Thanks in advance ...

I would oversize in WI and go 2 cu ft with your cold winters. Will you be letting the place get stone cold when not there or keeping it at a nominal temperature? How long will you be at the cabin when there?

Begreen, I will be there 4 or 5 days at a time probably every 3 weeks throughout the winter...The former owner left the heat on at 40-50 degrees and had no frozen pipes etc. Ideally, I'd lijke to be able to do a quick winterize and shut heat off as I did with my former cabin..Then start up when I return....My big question is size of the stove firebox and stove....Does bigger capacity mean more heat quicker but having to slow it down as it warms up.(I recall my old Vermont castings Resolute heating up my Ohio cabin so well that I had to open windows in middle of winter). Further, does a bigger stove that is dampened down produce/encourage creosote? The budget enters in also as there is almost a $1000 swing between those 3 stoves..It is a happy problem but one with many variables...I'll look forward to your ideas, suggestions..thanks

If you let the cabin assume outdoor temps, it is going to take a lot of heat to get it up to temperature and stabilize. You need to get all the mass of all the contents plus interior structure warmed up. Get the Super 27 for the additional capacity for quicker heating, but also the ability for a long burn time. If you need less heat in milder weather feed the stove less wood.

If budget is a concern, Englander just came out with the Madison stove which has a 2.4 cu ft firebox and costs ~$900. Just don't fill it up all the way when the cabin is already warmed up. And make sure to use dry, seasoned wood with an internal moisture content of less than 20 % no matter which stove you buy. Then you have a little to worry about getting too much creosote.

Seems most of you are encouraging a Bigger (2 + Cu Ft. firebox) stove. I agree but have been warned by several of my friends that it is better to get a smaller stove and run hot/ maximum instead of oversized stove dampened or slowed down...Creosote buildup is the main reason. I'm liking the concept of a bigger firebox...Faster warmup, more capacity, etc but want to be sure before I decide and invest the $....You are already giving me some good pointers....Tell me if I'm offbase..Thanks, Jerry

Optimal for your space would be a small/medium-sized catalytic stove that burns already efficient and clean at a low air setting. However, those would exceed your budget. If you go for smaller stove you will suffer in burn time meaning you will have to get up at night to feed the stove. Usually, with about a 2 cu ft firebox size you can expect 8 to 10 hours and you would still have enough coals left for an easy restart. Also, you may need some additional capacity to get he cabin warmed up when you arrive. Once you don't need as much heat anymore, don't load the stove full. With that you can regulate how much heat it will put out. Half the wood will equal approx. half the heat.

And since it cannot be said often enough: Creosote buildup happens when you burn unseasoned wood. Seasoning means having the wood split and stacked for 1 to 3 years depending on the wood species sitting in your yard with lots of wind and sun exposure. Then a modern EPA-approved stove will burn clean and safely.

I would say with the loft ceilings 2.0 cu ft would be a good size as with that size you can get 8-10 hour cycle times.

You can always load less wood if it gets too hot during warmer weather.

Get you a ceiling fan , as the heat rise up to those loft bed rooms and make it pretty warm up there so the fan will keep the heat moving back down to the lower levels.

If you can afford a cat stove it will be the most controllable and longest burning. You can dial the heat down lower with a cat stove then get a longer burn with it burning at a lower level. Then add a stone type stove like a soapstone and that makes the stove have a more milder feeling heat that many say is a more comfortable heat.

Go ahead and stock up on good seasoned dry wood 20% moisture or less as its hard to find this close to heating season. These new stoves wont burn on un-seasoned wood. Get you a moisture meter at a Lowes to make sure what you are buying.

The Super 27 is unlike most other secondary burn stoves. The secondary air is adjustable and linked to the primary air control. It is about as close to cat stove performance as you'll get, without a cat.

I think you should reconsider the blower option. If you're going to be warming a cold home up very often, you'll want all the help you can get to warm up the air. It takes time to warm everything in the building up, but warming the air up as fast as possible helps to bring the comfort level up as fast as possible.

Reactions: Woody Stover
The Super 27 (possibly True North)seems to be in my future although my wallet will take a big hit! Jeff, based on your comments maybe i should reconsider a blower...Never had a blower in my previous stoves/..What are the advantages of getting one especially with those 3 PacEnergy stoves? .?do they help with the starting, etc.?
.BTW, do you guys like having an ash pan?..Some of these models have,and some (like TrueNorth) do not...Thanks for your help.

A blower will not help with starting. It should be off until the stove body has warmed up sufficiently. It will help circulate the heat a bit faster. If you want to try it for awhile without the blower, no harm. It can be added later. I have the ash pan and don't use it at all. Not a big fan of the PE design with the little ash hole.

Yeah, the ash dump design is useless. Get a bucket and shovel.

The Super has side shields that limit the amount of radiant heat coming off the stove. Most of the heat that you can actually feel comes off the top and front. My PE doesn't have a blower (bought it used), but I have a small fan that I can pivot to blow straight up. I position it to blow up the back of the stove and across the top, just like the factory blower. The difference in the heat coming off the stove is huge, and really helps when warming up from sub-freezing temps. But then, maybe with your newer, tighter place you won't have the need.

I wasn't impressed by small opening of PE Super 27 ash pan opening either..Sounds like in actual practice, its worse.

Have a trip planned to stove shop and it'll boil down to Tr North vs Super 27 with $800 difference.Under these circumstances, small 2 story cabin etc, which would you buy?

THanks Guys. your thoughts have been a big help!!!

Thanks for good link, Jeff...Good info...More votes for the Super 27....My only question is is it worth $800 more than the tr North? Guess I wouldn't know until the first few burns.. Thanks

The Super 27 is easier to clean and has a longer burn time than the TN19. But if the budget is tight the TN19 will do the job.

Thanks for good link, Jeff...Good info...More votes for the Super 27....My only question is is it worth $800 more than the tr North? Guess I wouldn't know until the first few burns.. Thanks

The Super is the better stove, no doubt about it. But considering that we are talking here about a cabin stove that will be used less than 1/3 of a winter I am not sure if a slight inconvenience may not be worth an $800 saving.

I hear alot of people dont like the little clean out holes in the bottom of stoves.
I personally have had good luck as my ashes are always like a light fluffy dust or small coals
and it falls thru a little opening just fine. Best part as I have explained on several occasions
is that the stove is usually warm when I am doing this and there is still good draft sucking up
the flue. This draft is like a vacuum cleaner for any dust inside the stove and I get hardly
any ash out into the room as anything flying up inside the firebox sucks up the flue from the draft.
I dont like to get rid of alot of coals and I try to keep as many as I can.

PE uses a linkage setup to operate the ash dump. Probably works okay when new and kept clean, but mine won't even move.

PE uses a linkage setup to operate the ash dump. Probably works okay when new and kept clean, but mine won't even move.

Guys..really appreciate your advice and guidance..Big help to me...yesterday I visited the stove shop and saw all three PE stoves as well as a few others ..after reviewing all. I put a deposit down on the True North.
I was quite impressed with its relatively large firebox and is a considerable savings considering that this is to be used primarily as a weekend place.. I thought this was the smart way to go... the installation however is more than double the cost of the stove but I suppose that's pretty normal ...I appreciate your help.

I'll continue to stay in touch I'm looking forward to my first burn with the True North..install is scheduled for early Sept..Thanks again...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Tyler
Prolly the decision I would have made for a cabin. I think you'll be happy with the TrueNorth.

Guys..really appreciate your advice and guidance..Big help to me...yesterday I visited the stove shop and saw all three PE stoves as well as a few others ..after reviewing all. I put a deposit down on the True North.
I was quite impressed with its relatively large firebox and is a considerable savings considering that this is to be used primarily as a weekend place.. I thought this was the smart way to go... the installation however is more than double the cost of the stove but I suppose that's pretty normal ...I appreciate your help.

I'll continue to stay in touch I'm looking forward to my first burn with the True North..install is scheduled for early Sept..Thanks again...

I'm in the same boat. I put a deposit down on a TN19 almost 3 weeks ago and am waiting for it to come in at my local dealer. Let me know how you get along with yours..!! lol

Guys,time for an update.. Stove was installed 9/13 and have had several small fires and a few overnight fires .....one night temp was in high 20s....I love the True North and it's performance..easy start ups and easy to maintain..produces a beautiful fire and flames are easily viewed through glass. I'm enjoying the front loading aspect...new for me..so far, I'm very happy with this stove..true winter temps will provide further test..thanks for your help. A great stove!,

Thanks for the update Jerryo. Take some pictures when you get a chance. We love to see, FIRE:ZZZ

Status
Not open for further replies.