Help with Tree ID Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever they are we have a bunch of them coming up around here, too.
Mostly I cut them down -weed them out as they are in spots where I don't want a tree to grow ( and they have a fairly fast growth rate).

smokinjay said:
Can you post pic's of the nuts? I just never see walunt with sapwood over an inch or two, but maybe thats why people like mine. idk

All of the fruit I saw looked like the picture below and were single fruits. I suspect maybe the fruit on this tree were just too young to have grown into the exaggerated oblong shape I see in pictures on the internet for white walnut (butternut). In contract to the picture below, internet photos look very long and pointy, but those fruit may be more mature...

2011-06-24_06-52-07_984.jpg

PeteD said:
smokinjay said:
Can you post pic's of the nuts? I just never see walunt with sapwood over an inch or two, but maybe thats why people like mine. idk

All of the fruit I saw looked like the picture below and were single fruits. I suspect maybe the fruit on this tree were just too young to have grown into the exaggerated oblong shape I see in pictures on the internet for white walnut (butternut). In contract to the picture below, internet photos look very long and pointy, but those fruit may be more mature...

2011-06-24_06-52-07_984.jpg

Doesnt look like the Black walnut we have close though.....To have all the saplings around you you didnt notice piles of black walnuts everywhere? I know my BW are young maybe 10 years old you will get 25-35 gallons of walnuts a year, this year being even more with the rain. Big clusters everywhere and the limbs a sagging hard already!

Status
Not open for further replies.