Help with what wood to get on a good score (update with pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BucksCounty

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2009
Southeast PA
A new buyer in the neighborhood had 14 good sized trees cut down back in December. I stopped by, introduced myself and asked if he minded if I take some of the wood. He said he was going to be gettting a wood stove so he wanted to keep it. I said I understood but since the house was a fixer upper, I knew the wood would be there for some time because it was the last thing on his mind. It appeared as though he had about 8 cords, much of it still not bucked, literally covering his lawn in front side and back. So, today he asked if I still wanted some wood. It appears negihbors called the township and they will fine him if he doesn't remove much of it by next week. I said I would be glad to take some but he said he would like me to take some of the pine that was mixed in with the hardwoods. He said he wanted no money as we were doing him a favor. I went to get him a case of beer and over a neighbor and I went. It appears most is hard maple, a good amount of mulberry and some various pines. There is no way I can take it all but I don't know which is better, maple or mulberry? I already took 3 truck loads plus a neighbor's 2 and doesn't even look like we dented the wood. Mulberry is very yellow too...never cut it before. I will post pics tomorrow.

both are good no issue with either...

A suggestion: How about taking most of the wood, cut it, split it and stack it. Save about 1/4 or 1/3 of the wood and give it back to the guy when he gets his wood stove? No doubt he will also appreciate the beer and hopefully you have found a new friend.

Backwoods, I like the idea. I have to make some space first to get this all split and stacked. I will post pics tomorrow. On another note, I picked up some wood a couple months ago and posted pics. People said it was Norway Maple and when it grows in shade, it is knotty. I'd say. I took a maul to a 10" piece and it bounced back. I took fiskars to it, same result. The a sledge and wedge barely got through. It split literally on a zigzag and the middle was just knots. Youwould never know or think it looking what appear to be straight pieves. I have no idea what to do because I don't have a splitter and I don't want to rent one for this 1/4 cord worth. I think I will just let it sit and figure it our later. Besides, I have about 3-4 cords of this score to work on....Also was an amazing day here to work outside. 74 and some sunburn!

74 degrees!!!!! Holy cow, it snowed all day here and we don't expect to see 70's until sometime in May. I'll bet you'll have bugs before we do. lol But I know what you mean about the weather there. We have a son who lives near Reading and I'm always amazed how much warmer it is there. A couple years ago we were there for Thanksgiving. I went dressed for winter but when we got there it was about 65 degrees and felt like spring.

On that tough stuff, it certainly won't do any harm to let them sit still for a while. Tackle them next winter.

BucksCounty said:
A new buyer in the neighborhood had 14 good sized trees cut down back in December. I stopped by, introduced myself and asked if he minded if I take some of the wood. He said he was going to be gettting a wood stove so he wanted to keep it. I said I understood but since the house was a fixer upper, I knew the wood would be there for some time because it was the last thing on his mind. It appeared as though he had about 8 cords, much of it still not bucked, literally covering his lawn in front side and back. So, today he asked if I still wanted some wood. It appears negihbors called the township and they will fine him if he doesn't remove much of it by next week. I said I would be glad to take some but he said he would like me to take some of the pine that was mixed in with the hardwoods. He said he wanted no money as we were doing him a favor. I went to get him a case of beer and over a neighbor and I went. It appears most is hard maple, a good amount of mulberry and some various pines. There is no way I can take it all but I don't know which is better, maple or mulberry? I already took 3 truck loads plus a neighbor's 2 and doesn't even look like we dented the wood. Mulberry is very yellow too...never cut it before. I will post pics tomorrow.

Smart move calling the township. ;-)

Carbon_Liberator said:
BucksCounty said:

Smart move calling the township. ;-)

LOL! After he told me about it, I was asking myself why I never thought of that in the first place. With all the trouble on the inside of his house, I didn't want to make more problems for him. Just got 2 more truckloads this morning. After I am off baby duty, I will be back out there and get some pics for everyone.

The Mulberry is great firewood. It's actully rated harder than Oak. I've not been able to get much but from what I've seen, it's great. I agree with Backwoods, if you can clean some of it up for him and get him a good start he should be grateful - I would be.

I didn't notice earlier, it would be nice to have a spliter.

andybaker said:
The Mulberry is great firewood. It's actully rated harder than Oak. I've not been able to get much but from what I've seen, it's great. I agree with Backwoods, if you can clean some of it up for him and get him a good start he should be grateful - I would be.
It might be rated higher than oak on some charts but it does not hold a candle to oak when it comes to coaling.

Here are some pics of what I was able to get. My neighbor across the street was able to get a pile same size. I see maple, mulberry, and some pine mixed in? Am I correct here? I don't have a splitter, so I am hoping the fiskars, maul, and sledge/wedge will get it done. Sure to be some fun work. Everything in my stacks has been done by hand with only 1 pallet done with a splitter from last year. I am hoping this gets me ahead.

Attachments

• wood 3-20.jpg
    wood 3-20.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 260
  • wood 3-20b.jpg
    wood 3-20b.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 281
  • wood 3-20c (2).jpg
    wood 3-20c (2).jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 257
Looks good.

The mulberry should split easy - if it's what I have come across. When the chain saw goes through it - the discharge looks like yellow rice. Splits like a breeze and is good burning wood. I wish I had more of it.

Nice score.

Status
Not open for further replies.