Here is a load!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have to air them up before a load or do you just set them and forget 'em?

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
I use mine as the daily driver...$150/wk in fuel. Kinda leaves a bad dent in the wallet.

Please, $40 gave me 1/4 of a tank just 1/2 an hour ago, at $3.99.

Yesterday, I put $60 in @ $4.76 (Diesel 6.0L). I only towed one horse in a tag along. I still got 19mpg but I didn't go too far and need to put more in today.

LEES WOOD-CO said:
pecor said:
I just ordered these Load Boosters to help with the load sag on my Dodge 1500. No air to screw with and alot cheaper. You can get them for most trucks & vans http://www.truckspring.com/timbren_285.html

Timbrens work great! I have tried everything else(adding leafs,overload springs,and air) and nothing comes close in the after install handling.

Ordered today. I may also add the Monroe load levelers or Bilsteins. My shocks are due for replacement anyway.

The bilsteins are probably going to be close to double what the monroes are. I had monroes on my truck in the front and they wore out pretty quickly. I just went with Pro Comps and I am very happy with them. I got all 4 shocks and stabilizer for $151. I've only had them on my truck about 3 months.

burntime said:
Do you have to air them up before a load or do you just set them and forget 'em?

I used to carry a plug in the lighter compressor then I finnaly put an air comprssor on that I bought from firestone and wired it to a switch and gauge in the cab. It is great if you can afford the compressor but I used the airbags without an onboard compressor for years.

I've tried them all and Timbrens seem to hit the sweet-spot. Add-a-leafs impact the ride and sometimes don't add all that much to the capacity (comparatively speaking), air bags are a little bouncy, will rip in time and are a little bit of a hassle to use and maintain, but the Timbrens work great. They don't really impact the ride (until you're loaded), nothing to adjust or fiddle with, are fairly cheap, and are very easy to install... great product.

I just looked at the timbrens again, thoses are just rubber? Actually I may go that route on the new truck, look simple enough, gonna need a review when you get them BeGreen.

Timbrens are direct replacemetns for the OEM bump stops, they are there to help keep you from bottoming out your suspension while under heavy loads that are within your truck's GAWR...they are not intended to be installed to increase your GAWR, simply to help keep you from bottoming out as easily. Lots of guys with plows use them on their front ends, I'm planning on doing a set myself.

I've had timbrens for about 140,000 miles on the rear end of my half ton chevy full sized truck. I flat out love them and highly recommend them for anyone looking for a rear suspension enhancement that is easy to install (no drilling or cutting), does NOT effect empty ride until about 500 lbs is loaded, are failsafe since there are no air leaks, don't need any adjustment or attention before and after loading, are cheap, excellent company support, and just plain work. They are a hollow rubber spring that looks like a huge bump stop. Once engaged, they act like a functioning air bag to limit additional suspension compression.

Suspension enhancements such as these will not raise your rated load limits, not even a new HD axle would do that. You are stuck with the sticker. What they will do is provide superior ride and handling when you are loaded to your limits. The back of your truck will not settle as far and the side to side wallow will go away.

Nobody knows the weakest link of our trucks. What will fail first when overloaded or even what limiting component caused the ratings to be what they are. You are stuck with the ratings.

In addition to the timbrens I have also upgraded to LT tires with very high load ratings. The better tires exceed the ratings of the axle and will not be the weakest link. The added benefit it that under load, the tires don't squirm at all. I also did a few other things like a trans temp gauge and SS braided brake lines. When loaded to my GVWR or towing to my GCWR, the truck sits almost level and the tires do not bulge out.

How much were they? I know what you are saying about stabilizing the truck, that is a big plus.

I've had mine for several years now but they cost 160$ at the time from one of the resellers for just the rears. I didn't buy direct from timbren and see no need to buy anything for the front.

I use a WD hitch setup for all of my heavy trailers and the system works very well. A saggy rear end of a truck upsets the steering geometery by botching the camber, shoots your headlights into the air, and enhances understeer. Just keeping the truck level is a big improvement for any cargo. Remember that 75% of the brake bias is on the front end so you want those front tires firmly planted.

The biggest reason for being pulled over and given an overweight ticket is that you LOOK overloaded. Do what you can to at least appear to be in control.

Oh and one last thing I did is to raise my registered GVWR to 8000 even though my door sticker says 6200. Reason being that it is very easy for the cops to ticket you for exceeding the registered GVWR but the rules about the stickered GVWR are a little squishier. You have to actually be deemed unsafe.

Highbeam said:
...Do what you can to at least appear to be in control.

I try...sometimes it works, sometimes not so well. My wife, especially, seems to be able to see right through me. 8-/ Rick

I have that problem too Fossil. Trouble is, even my 5YO daughter can tell when I am pushing my luck. Especially when I say to her, "hold onto your butt".....

One way to appear as though you are in control is when you come up to a red light and there is a cop waiting at the light in another lane. Do you come blazing up to the stop bar and manage to stop with your nose half way out into the intersection with your brakes emitting smoke, or do you let off the gas early, gear down, and come to a nice stop several feet ahead of the bar? You can do it either way but I tend to shoot for the second.

Then when taking off you don't need to floor the skinny petal, just ease into it.

At least three times I've been hauling a load down Georgia Ave. (major 6-lane spoke in DC) and had a cop in behind me. It makes me a bit paranoid, especially since I don't even know local regs (like if the load needs to be covered or tied down, of which I do neither) and since I'm clearly riding a little low. So far, no trouble. But I'm pretty careful when loaded, leaving lots of space and braking early.

^Here in NY the politicians have corrupted our police into revenue generators with guns...PU's hauling wood get stopped all the time and get weighed if you can see the wood ...it's mostly always overloaded according to your registration.

savageactor7 said:
^Here in NY the politicians have corrupted our police into revenue generators with guns...PU's hauling wood get stopped all the time and get weighed if you can see the wood ...it's mostly always overloaded according to your registration.

Check with your DOL, mine allowed me to buy "tonnage" so that my registration allowed me to carry way way way more than was safe for only 20$ per additional ton per year.

I've also been followed when my wood load was not covered and was securely heaped over the bedrails. The rules don't require cover in my area but they do require a secure load which is subjective of course.

Just another way to "tax" an energy supply. To date I have not had any issues but like others have said, if the truck is not dragging the rear end they usually will not bother you.

Just a comment on the type of wood based on your original picture. I cut and split 8+ cord this spring in Wisconsin, and got a pretty good experience with many of our lovely native trees.

Based on the color of the wood and the appearance of the bark, I am quite confident in telling you that is burr oak. On second look, that heartwood isn't as dark as I thought. Could be white oak. I would say 99.9% certain that is oak.

P.S. - that truck looks underloaded from what I am used to seeing in farm country in Wisconsin!

Thanks for the reply, I know that it is oak, I split it! That picture was taken about 16 hours after it was cut so the center lightened up some. Yep, farmers load a heck of a lot more than I do, that is for sure! I have seen trucks loaded with hay and you wonder how they keep it all on the truck!!!

savageactor7 said:

I hear ya!

After your allowable 3% over, the fine amounts to $1/lb unless the judge is in a good mood. You can also get fined for over weight on any or all tires, over on any or all axels, over on registered gross,over on stickered gross, and over on allowable bridge weight. Also any load visible over the sides of the truck MUST be covered no matter what cargo you are hauling. Any vehicle in NYS registered over 10,000 lbs now has to have a DOT # and an extra $39/ year permit/tax/fee which amounts to another way for NY to milk it's business'.

I was in Buffalo a few months ago and seen that the NYDOT state police now have an RV/camper enforcement division. So if you own a camper ,better keep it up to snuff.

I have farm plates on my 3500 dodge diesel. farm tags allow a weight of up to 40,000 lbs. reguardless of truck type. If you are brave enough or stupid enough you could try and pull 25,000 lbs with a ranger.(not safely but legaly) I always thought it was a little strange but things are a lot different in the more rural ag. states than in the more heavily populated/regulated areas near the coasts. As for your wood, I too think you have white oak.

exactLEE said:
I was in Buffalo a few months ago and seen that the NYDOT state police now have an RV/camper enforcement division. So if you own a camper ,better keep it up to snuff.

Absolutely ridiculous. DOT only has authority over commercial vehicles. They have ZERO authority over person or recreational vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.