Here is a load!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care what kind of wood it is, or what you call how much wood you think you've got, or how many modifications you do to your springs or shocks....your truck's overloaded and it's not safe, and if you keep treating it like that you're eventually gonna break (yes, break) your rear axle, which is what the truck's load rating's based on. Rick

fossil said:
I don't care what kind of wood it is, or what you call how much wood you think you've got, or how many modifications you do to your springs or shocks....your truck's overloaded and it's not safe, and if you keep treating it like that you're eventually gonna break (yes, break) your rear axle, which is what the truck's load rating's based on. Rick

101k and I am looking for a f150, don't think I will have it much longer, just waiting to find the right one so I doubt it will be an issue. The F-150 is a lot heavier suspension and axle/brakes to begin with and not a lot more cargo space so that should do a lot better. We make due with what we have, your right rick if you drive it like you stole it you can smoke a tranny in a weekend, if you fly over bumpy roads you can snap an axle, if you drive it slow and steady they will do a lot of work. Btw where have you been, taking a break or splitting lately?

Why not just keep that pretty red truck and get yourself a trailer to tow behind it? Rick

Simple answer, a wife, 2 little guys and a dog. The ranger has been great to me, just lacks the space for hunting and hauling and family stuff. I get 19.5-22 mpg with a 3.0 6cyl. I drive it easy and you really can not tell the difference between mine and a new one when driving, but the wife can not haul the kids everywhere with the minivan, and no I don't haul oak in that %-P I have had the truck for 10 years now so if I sell it for 3k (already have offers of that) it will have cost me 8k plus maintance so under 1k a year. That number is not good either because it hauls 16 yards of mulch a year from the recycle center and all the firewood for the house each year. I think I kinda owe it! :bug:

burntime said:
Simple answer, a wife, 2 little guys and a dog. The ranger has been great to me, just lacks the space for hunting and hauling and family stuff. I get 19.5-22 mpg with a 3.0 6cyl. I drive it easy and you really can not tell the difference between mine and a new one when driving, but the wife can not haul the kids everywhere with the minivan, and no I don't haul oak in that %-P I have had the truck for 10 years now so if I sell it for 3k (already have offers of that) it will have cost me 8k plus maintance so under 1k a year. That number is not good either because it hauls 16 yards of mulch a year from the recycle center and all the firewood for the house each year. I think I kinda owe it! :bug:

I hear you loud and clear. My old 1991 Mazda now has 257K on it and I still get offers of up to 2500 hundred. So I sell it..then what? buy a gas hog? my old chit bag of truck still gets 30 hwy, and 22 in town. what could I possibly find to replace it? I`m with you all the way on the math.===there is no sensible replacement at least not today.

What else can I say, my kids ain`t crispy either :p

See, burntime, told you that was so awesome, that I am still chucklling.

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
You might want to think about an F250.

Cut out the dressing/power up of the F150, and I bet you'd be ahead of the game, power, hauling, and towing wise.

The F250 is a BEAST.

But, mine sits in the driveway all week long. I use it to haul/tow on the weekends. As an every day vehicle, no way.

I use mine as the daily driver...$150/wk in fuel. Kinda leaves a bad dent in the wallet. :p

Dent, it would leave a crater! I usually burn 75 bucks a week, new truck will probably eat 125 because we will drive it a little more. I would love a super duty but I do not put the miles on it to warrant the it. I would love to get one and add all the banks stuff. About right now I wake up and decide the f-150 will be big enough. If gas were 1.29 and diesel was 1.25 like the old days it would not matter. In todays world the gas will cost more than the payment!!! And I have paymentitis, hence the 10 year old truck! :lol:

I didn't realize that loading 1/3 cord in a Ranger was controversial. I do it all the time in mine - '96 shortbox 4x4, 4cyl manual. Stock suspension, although I believe the 4x4 is somewhat beefier than the 2WD version. Bed dimensions are 6'x4', so only need to have an average stacking height of about 1.75' to get 1/3 cord. I don't find 1/3 cord to be overloaded in terms of body angle, braking, or handling, but I've definitely overloaded it when I've gone past that. I hauled 1800lbs of gravel once, which is the only time I actually had a means to weigh the load. Had a heaping load of black locust once that was probably more: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/12322/#137341

Aha fellow overloader. Mine is a highboy or some designation and I did the new coil shocks. Your right, a regular 2wd ranger would really be dragging. Just don't leave it on the truck overnight! :)

I have never seen those, your gonna have to tell us how they do. My coil overs added 1500 pounds to the ranger capacity and rode great. I also just picked up a load of ash!!

Thanks for the post pecor. I'd like to be kept in the loop for solutions for my Ranger too. I have a buddy that uses air springs and has recommended them, but prefer a passive system.

burntime, what is the ride like after adding coil overs? What is the best solution for occasional heavy loads that doesn't ruin the normal unloaded ride?

BeGreen, my ranger sits about 3/4 of an inch higher with the coil overs and the ride is like the factory. Not a great ride cause it is a ranger but factory non the less. The coils really make the difference after you have about 500 punds in the bed, then they start to stiffen up and hold the wieght. The best part is there is no body roll with a full load like a stock ranger. I went my route cause I did not want to have to "air up" the airshocks when I was picking up wood. A few years ago when I put the coils on I was told the air bags dry rot in 3 years from a bunch of plow guys. There are a lot of new stuff now so who knows, they may be better than the coils now? Either way my coils are a life saver for hauling weight.

Did you put them on front and back? What was the brand and cost to upgrade? For a truck the Ranger's ride is not bad, I just don't want to make is stiffer when unloaded.

Monroe shocks that are "load levelers" if I remember right. It is a whole shock replacement and I think it cost 200 bucks and I put them in. They only go on the rear of the truck, front uses normal shocks. It is few and far between when you buy something and they actually do what is promised... I am completely satisfied with the monroes. Here is a link to someone selling them, check the price, it may have been 200 for 2 normal ones and 2 load levelers.
http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/mon_loadlevel.cfm

They advertise 1100 additional capacity now. Still nothing to sneeze at. What ever the real number is you can load a lot more than you can stop, that is for sure!!

First full load of the season here. Dang near a full cord.

Attachments

• Load 1 View 1.JPG
    Load 1 View 1.JPG
    213.4 KB · Views: 292
Aw c'mon, thats just a little load of kindling :p

I use mine as the daily driver...$150/wk in fuel. Kinda leaves a bad dent in the wallet.

Please, $40 gave me 1/4 of a tank just 1/2 an hour ago, at $3.99.

Hauling the trailer, with live weight, I'm pulling almost 10,000 pounds (3 horses @1200 pounds each, plus the base weight of the trailer @ 4000+, plus tack, and loaded dressing room). Hitch has a 20,000 pound stress ratio. Max towing capacity is 12,500 pounds, and a max payload of 2800 pounds.

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2005/ford/f250superduty/100415289/specs.html

As for being overloaded, it is dangeroous. You have to remember that you might have to stop while still accelerating, with all that weight still giving you momentum behind you. It can get scarey.

pecor said:
I just ordered these Load Boosters to help with the load sag on my Dodge 1500. No air to screw with and alot cheaper. You can get them for most trucks & vans http://www.truckspring.com/timbren_285.html

Timbrens work great! I have tried everything else(adding leafs,overload springs,and air) and nothing comes close in the after install handling.

Please just bear in mind that no matter what you do to springs or shocks to improve ride/handling, you've done nothing to actually increase the load capacity of your vehicle. The only way to prepare your vehicle to safely handle more than the manufacturer's rated load is to change out the rear axle and the brakes...as well as the suspension components. Just because it feels better doesn't mean it's safe. Rick

Honest Rick, everywhere I go always seems uphill so stopping is not a problem :p

burntime said:
Honest Rick, everywhere I go always seems uphill so stopping is not a problem :p

Burntime, you're a hoot! Please take care when you still feel like you're going uphill but you know you're actually going downhill...this forum just wouldn't be as much fun without you. :) Rick

I do what I can :)

instead of coil springs and/or extra leafs why not try some airbags?
I use them on everything from my dodge Dakota to my 2500 Chevy. http://www.fsip.com/riderite/applications/vehiclesearch/ford.shtml#

They usually run around $100 and are adjustable also help to smooth out the ride when empty and really help level things out when loaded.
They are also very easy to install yourself in an afternoon, I have been running these for about 10 years ion different vehicles and have had no problems with them.
Just something to look in to.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.