Here's the amount of wood I got for 2 minutes work.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KC Matt

Burning Hunk
Oct 29, 2016
Kansas City
This is how I get my wood. I locate tree services removing trees in my small neighborhood and I stop and ask what they are doing with the wood. 75% of the time they are thrilled to have somebody that is nearby that wants the wood. I burn 4 cords a year and haven't split wood for 2 years so I have 1 year supply and am way behind.

Well tonight on the way home from work I saw a chipper truck and stopped to ask what they were doing with the wood. The owner of the company offered to deliver the wood to my house 3 blocks away. Well, here's an hour later.
20180418_191152.jpg
20180418_200048.jpg

Nice!

Looks like you have something to do this weekend

Yeah, I was going to start building a shower in the guest bedroom but this came up and now I have to move this wood. Unfortunately it's supposed to rain Sunday so this may put the shower on hold for a couple weeks.

It's too bad I can't retire because there's enough work around the house to keep me busy for years.

Those big stumps are going to be a real bear. Hope you have some appropriate equipment. Nice looking load overall. My wood connection is going the way of the dinosaur so I will have to start getting active and hustling.

Those big stumps are going to be a real bear. Hope you have some appropriate equipment. Nice looking load overall. My wood connection is going the way of the dinosaur so I will have to start getting active and hustling.

You're right about that. I normally don't take trash like this stem, but I'm way short on wood and being this is the first time dealing with this company I didn't want to pick and choose. For the tree service the benefit is that I'm making it so they don't have to deal with the wood and I'm afraid to make things difficult for them.

I have some Mastermind saws including a 390xp that I will use to cut rounds, a 37ton Huskee splitter to bust them up, and will bring home a mini skid when dealing with that trunk.

There will be lots of nasty splits but those burn. I burn 4 cords a year and currently have 2 cords. It's going to be a struggle this coming winter.

I burn 4 cords a year and currently have 2 cords. It's going to be a struggle this coming winter.
Try to get some Silver Maple...most people don't want it, but it dries quick after split, and when mixed in with some marginal splits it will make some great heat!

Try to get some Silver Maple...most people don't want it, but it dries quick after split, and when mixed in with some marginal splits it will make some great heat!

I will probably grab a cord or two of silver maple. I also set aside some of this oak that I split small, stacked very loosely, and left out in the open.

I've split all of the easy wood, set aside the punky and twisted trash, and busted up the one nasty trunk section in the picture. So far it looks like I have 2 cords stacked and there is probably two cords left. By the end of the week that will all be done and I will be back to the shower project.

Some of the neighbors want to put a paver patio in the island and put a fire pit in the middle. That would be nice, but then where would I make my messes?

Reactions: brenndatomu