Heritage 8024 - Crack in Side Door Stone - Safe to Run?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jwoair23

Feeling the Heat
Oct 2, 2011
Ohio
Well I have had some unfortunate luck and my side door in my <1 year old Heritage 8024 has developed a crack in the stone. What are all of your experiences with things like this? I have contacted the dealer, though I assume there will be a delay in response due to the holidays. My hope is since its on the door, the door could be replaced under warranty, perhaps they could ship a new door?

Would any of you be concerned with running the stove? I am not overly concerned, as the inside of the door has a full metal shield that covers the whole interior of the door, so its not like the stone is the only barrier of the stove. I also dont imagine this piece is going to go anywhere, and I would think the air leakage is minimal.

Kind of disappointing though, what are all of your thoughts/experiences?

IMG_1914.jpeg

Ah, that stinks! I have the same stove, installed a few months ago and am loving it. I wouldn't personally think that crack is going to be an issue, as you said, that casting on the inside of the door is very thick so the fire isn't ever going to touching the stone. I don't foresee getting an air leak because the casting of the door seals against the stove and not the stone itself. I suppose you could always push a bit of stove cement into the crack if you're concerned at the moment.

Curious to see what the dealer says..

Update - Got potentially good news today, the dealer said that Hearthstone said the door is covered. They are supposed to be shipping a new door out, though I am guessing that will take a very long time to arrive.

The dealer will replace it, but is anyone familiar with how these doors are replaced? How difficult of a job is it?

Update - Got potentially good news today, the dealer said that Hearthstone said the door is covered. They are supposed to be shipping a new door out, though I am guessing that will take a very long time to arrive.

The dealer will replace it, but is anyone familiar with how these doors are replaced? How difficult of a job is it?
I have not posted here for a while. Curious, did you get your stove fixed? I have 2 8021s I think so my door is different. It looks like that casting on the inside is screwed to the frame of the door so maybe just replace the stone? If the door has to be replaced, I bet it is door and frame unit and it would not surprise me if the top has to come off.

Good luck. My 2005 ish Heritage has one cracked stone in the lower back panel and the 2015 has not cracked any yet. The side door is one of the hottest panels on the stove for sure.