Hey Vertical Splitting Folks...Need three hands?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bster13

Minister of Fire
Feb 24, 2012
CT
I am interested in a horizontal / vertical splitter for larger rounds. Ideally I'd just keep the splitter in the vertical position, sit on a milk crate and as I split off smaller pieces from a round throw them in the wheelbarrow next to me.

What I want to avoid is having to pick up splits from the ground like in this video:

It's like I need a third hand. One to man the control of the splitter, one to hold the round, and one to peel off the splits and chuck them into the wheelbarrow as I chew off slices from the side of the round.

Any tips here? Do you use a foot to keep the round from falling over while your one hand is manning the controls and the other is peeling off splits and throwing them into the wheelbarrow? Thx.

I split only vertical.
I sit on a bucket, control the splitter with one hand and while the splitter is going through the round i toss the previous split to the side of me on a pile. No need to hold the round until it gets pretty small.

Any tips here? Do you use a foot to keep the round from falling over while your one hand is manning the controls and the other is peeling off splits and throwing them into the wheelbarrow? Thx.

That's what your knees are for. ;)

Also a well placed brick, 2x4, patio stone, etc will help with keeping larger rounds from wanting to roll off the foot plate.

I am interested in a horizontal / vertical splitter for larger rounds. Ideally I'd just keep the splitter in the vertical position, sit on a milk crate and as I split off smaller pieces from a round throw them in the wheelbarrow next to me.

What I want to avoid is having to pick up splits from the ground...

It's like I need a third hand. One to man the control of the splitter, one to hold the round, and one to peel off the splits and chuck them into the wheelbarrow as I chew off slices from the side of the round.

Oh boy! Yes I think perhaps I can help you out a bit here. First, congratulations on the splitter. MTD has made some good ones. Ours is older than your's and it has basically been trouble free. Ours also has a 5 hp B&S rather than the 5.5 yours has. The two are also built quite a bit different too as MTD attempted to save some dollars when building it. Not sure if they did it right or not but they did keep the cost down. Here is what our splitter looks like:

Splitter-3.JPG Woodpile 3-20-06.JPG

So now let's get to the nitty gritty on splitting wood.

1. It would advisable for you to put some oil on that beam occasionally and for sure before you put it away for a long time. Use an oil can and just sort of draw a straight line 2 or 3 times across the beam and then run the wedge out all the way and then retract it. But even before you retract the wedge, you might also consider running just a thin line of oil behind the wedge to further spread it over the beam. Note: don't use grease here; use oil.

2. You mentioned hauling the trailer at highway speeds. :eek: Whoa! I would not advise doing that at all. I've seen this done only once and could hardly believe my eyes. This guy had to be going 65 mph with the splitter happily bouncing away behind his truck. I don't think he could even see it in his mirrors so had no idea how it was towing. Nope. These things are not designed for highway speeds.

3. The trend is for the newer splitters to not have a throttle. I hate that. First, I hate starting an engine and running it at full throttle right away. Let it warm a minute or so at least. Second, before shutting down, I do the reverse. Slow the engine, then drop the beam from vertical to horizontal. If this is the last it is to be used for some time then go through the oiling and leave the engine on slow speed while doing this. Then shut it off.

4. You might want to consider removing the front stand and replacing it with one like is used on boat trailers. Consider buying one with 2 wheels rather than a single wheel (wish I had done that!). With 2 wheels it might would be easier moving the splitter on grass and/or unlevel ground.

5. Your splitter is very poorly designed for horizontal splitting. Look at the video and take notice of your stance. The wheel is in your way so you have to bend forward and you also have to make a long reach to hold the log on the beam. I can guarantee you that I would last at best about 5 minutes if splitting had to be done that way. :mad:

6. Also while splitting horizontally, you were not sure which side of the log you wanted to grab hold of as the log split. You first held one side but then changed your mind and went to the other side. This shows how unsure of yourself you are and I do not mean this to be putting you down but only pointing out a way for you to improve. ;)

7. In the video you mention not allowing the wedge to go all the way back up and you did fine one time. However, you forgot after that and did let the wedge go all the way. If you just practice doing it a few times it will become a reflex and you won't even think about it. In the video you were handling the splits and simply forgot about the wedge. Again, it can become a habit quickly and you'll do it without thinking very soon and this will save time. However, if you want a little breather, then that is okay too. ;)

Now let's go to the vertical mode:

8. First is sitting. You used a log which is fine but whatever you use, place it directly behind the splitter and not off to the side. Also, as you were doing will work but your backside might get a bit sore before you are finished. A pad of some sort will be a big help to you on this. As you know, I use a milk crate or something similar because at that height it makes moving the larger pieces much easier. I can place both elbows on my thighs and in that way use leverage rather than muscle power to lift and/or turn the logs.

9. You might consider when you bring wood home, rather than just throwing it into a heap, stack it a little bit. You do not have to be particular with the stacking (at least I don't at this point) but if you stack it, this will save you a lot of work and time later when the splitting begins. Here is one picture that was taken showing our splitter next to the stack.
4-4-09a.JPG

10. Notice that the wood stack is on the left and the splits are on the right (looking from behind the splitter). This works well and can be another time saver. One thing I do many times is while the wedge is going through the splits, naturally the right hand is on the lever so the left hand can be used to reach for the next log. I'll even do this with the hookeroon (or pickeroon). Also, with the logs on the left, as you do the splitting you occasionally will move the splitter ahead a few feet so that you don't have to over-reach for the logs. This is a quick and easy task so it won't really cut into your splitting time at all. It will save time instead.

11. Now we'll go to the point where you began to split the log vertically. You did sit after placing the log on the splitter. Quite naturally I would have been sitting even to do this. But wait! As the wedge had just started into the log, the wedge itself had only went in a couple inches, you suddenly raise from the sitting position....to help the splitter! Why do we have hydraulic splitters if they need help in that way? It does remind me of a video I once saw on youtube and the guy was showing the art of using a hydraulic splitter. I could hardly believe just how much work he was doing and wondered why he even bought a splitter. Let the machine do the work!

12. Also at that point you had the words on the screen about using the handle control to decrease cycle time. Good point indeed! However, you did that a couple times then forgot about it and let the wedge go all the way up. Again, practice and it will become a habit and you won't find that wedge all the way up when you get the next log on. It will actually become a reflex.

13. One more time, view that video again and pay particular attention to how your body moves. Then the next time you split, keep this in mind and remember the point of letting the machine do the work. While it is working, relax! Sit down! There was no need to lift your butt off that log and there was no need to pry that split apart. Oh you do have to once in a while but not until the splitter has done all it could. While it is working, you should not be. In addition, once you raised your backside off that log, you forgot the log was there and was on your feet for the rest of the splitting. Sit! Relax!

While I was typing this, I was interrupted when some company came so I sort of lost my concentration and may have left out some points. For sure I goofed and erased something that I should not have and the Undo did not undo so it was lost. I do not remember what it was either. This sort of thing happens as one ages.... Yes, I hate it.

I will view the video again later after looking over some of the other posts so may chime in here again.

Hopefully this has helped not only you Bster13, but others who are just starting to use a hydraulic splitter. In addition, I've already asked my wife if she would assist me in taking a video while I split some wood. I won't promise it will get done tomorrow but will do it as soon as possible. Then I will invite all to critique me and hopefully show me a few new twists. Warning; trying to convert me to splitting horizontally will not be helping me!

Btw, just in case I forgot to mention this, SIT! RELAX! Let the machine do most of the work; at least the hard part.

Good job! I also split vertically, exclusively.

PS: In my workflow, my logs that I am splitting are at the end of the driveway and I transport all the split wood to the stacks with a lawn tractor towing a little trailer. Anyway, instead of making a big pile and handling it twice, never mind the energy it takes to throw them once the pile starts getting higher, I toss it directly into the trailer. When it gets good and full I shut down the splitter and move and stack the wood, taking the wood directly from the trailer to the stack. I've varied my routine, sometimes, when I feel I'm pressed for time, like after work, then I'll make a little pile of splits by the splitter for the evening and move and stack them the next evening. Sometimes, not every time.

This one has headed more to how to split than picking a splitter so I am moving it over to the Wood Shed.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
PS: In my workflow, my logs that I am splitting are at the end of the driveway and I transport all the split wood to the stacks with a lawn tractor towing a little trailer. Anyway, instead of making a big pile and handling it twice, never mind the energy it takes to throw them once the pile starts getting higher, I toss it directly into the trailer. When it gets good and full I shut down the splitter and move and stack the wood, taking the wood directly from the trailer to the stack. I've varied my routine, sometimes, when I feel I'm pressed for time, like after work, then I'll make a little pile of splits by the splitter for the evening and move and stack them the next evening. Sometimes, not every time.

Good thinking. Rather than moving the wood from the splitter, we simply start stacking it right there. Then it doesn't get moved for several years until needed. So far this has worked out well. I do recall one time though that we did exactly like you are doing. For some reason or another, I seemed to take a lot of breaks doing it that way. ;)

I should note also that I drag the splitter in every night into the garage! I manage to tow it with my lawn tractor too.
While I have somewhat of a system and can get situated in 10-15 minutes or so, moving it around does get old, but not as old as transporting the wood the 500' to the stacks.

It is understandable why you want the splitter in the garage. For us, we split only once per year. Naturally we can't get it all split in a day so I just use a tarp to cover it right where it is. Well, except for the last 3 years, our splitter sat outdoors all the time covered with a tarp. I did make sure to put the tires on some wood cut-offs rather than letting them touch Mother Earth. Here is one picture of the splitter covered up.It is that bump between the wood piles.

Christmas-2008d.JPG

Dennis, nice comprehensive and informative post. I've got the milk crate (really) sitting in the back yard for when I get a vertical splitter.

That's some wood splitting dissertation there Dennis! :eek: (Backwoods Savage, PhD in Woodsplittin')

Get a pulp hook, saves alot on the bending over. You can hook your victum while it is splitting and pull it right off. A pickaroon can come in handy jockying big rounds into place.

I've been using a hookaroon to gather in the rounds while sitting and splitting.
I'm no expert, but you better not miss and hit your foot with the pickaroon.

I love the rooster crowing in the back ground. I usually have a small trailer sitting beside the splitter to throw into. We handle the wood so much, I like to save a step when possible.

I split exclusively with the splitter in the vertical position. I never let the cylinder extend the whole way through the round if it doesn't need to...as soon as the round "pops", I retract the splitter and take the split piece and throw it to the side. Using my shins/knees to support the rounds when splitting and not splitting the round clear down keeps me from having to bend over for splits almost 90% of the time........

When my kids help with the splitting chores, its even easier yet. They are well-trained!

After a while, that bending down to pick up splits really takes a toll on your back....

Agreed on the back. With my HF 7-ton I would sit on a stool and peel off splits to throw into the wheelbarrow and hold the round with my other hand. So long as I can do something similar in vertical mode it should be easier than heaving the really large rounds up on to the horizontal splitter. I have 8 cords now.... don't really need more (at least according to the Wife) but I'm excited to use it. There's just something about starting a pile of rounds and making nice, neat, stacks out of them and the start & finish of it all that I enjoy. :)

My boys (4yr & 6yr) started splitting w/me last year. They rotate working the lever/hydraulics and moving/stacking splits. I split only vertically and a couple years ago started using a round for a "seat", usually pick one that is wider and evenly cut that sits well. When we are done splitting, there is always a "ceremonial" split of the last, final remaining round which is --- the seat. The boys get a kick out of splitting "the seat" as they also know it signifies that we are done!

Also, maybe consider this if you like .......this method, which is demonstrated using an axe, could be put to use for medium sized rounds in the splitter on vertical mode....

Reactions: NortheastAl
Just to make sure everyone is on the same page, I was not the guy in the video, I just found the video online as an example of what I was looking to avoid when I purchase a splitter. Dennis's comments do make sense though, I aim to use as little energy as possible.

I pulled the trigger on this guy today:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/took-the-plunge-elec-ramsplitter-on-the-way.112209/

Glad to hear you weren't the guy in that video. He has much to learn.

I was back in the woods today putting up a tree stand for hunting. Was looking for some easy and quick cutting so might make that video soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.