Hi from Jersey Shore

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sakuji

Oct 4, 2015
Jersey Shore
Hi guys.

No question here. Just want to introduce myself before really posting away (sorry Mods, i really can't find the "introduce yourself section").

I've been a lurker here for quite some time since I used to own a 2 bed-room house that has a BK princess freestanding that I really really loved. That princess was bought through craigslist and replaced an old Taiwan made clone of those classic stoves. And since we upgraded to a 4 bed room two story house couple of years ago @ roughly 2k square feet, I really missed that princess stove specially that my peak of winter heating bills go up to mid 300 bucks monthly even after all the post-audit sealing and windows upgrading we made.

We are about to go on our second winter on this house which has 2 masonry fireplaces with outside chimneys. The fireplaces were both originally made for wood but converted to gas by the previous owner. But based on the chimney sweeper (who also my friend) said that both were not really that used much as wood or even gas. Aside from repointing of some bricks and re- dressing of the chimney top, both structurally sound and are very clean inside and out with the clay upper lining really void of creosote. One of the chimneys actually is very clean with the fire bricks are-as far as we can tell- as clean as the day they were installed (aside of course from three decades of dust and cleaning). The metals of the gas appliance inside has almost no soot when closely examined. I plan of eventually converting both into inserts but because of the initial big outlay per stove we'd only be be able to do it one at a time.

I know for a fact that three of my neighbors have EPA stoves/inserts in their homes and two of them use the Blaze King brand. Freestanding stoves have been stricken off the short list (by the wifey of course) due to various reasons and based on both of the fireplace dimensions only cubic sizes similar to princess insert will be able to fit in while maintaining proper clearances. And since I'm looking for the longest burn time I can get in between loading and our shoulder seasons in our area are particularly long the princess insert could be the perfect one.We are looking on initially supplementing gas heat and then eventually going full wood as much as we can.

Anyway, since we still have about three seasons worth of seasoned/ partially seasoned firewood of various tree species stored in an empty lot we own, we think we'd still be able to enjoy wood heat this season. BUT- of course there's always a but- all the short listed dealers that we called said that the shortest delivery time they expect now is four weeks after making the order :-(

Where's BKVP, I think I need him.

Anyway, guys, I apologize for the long intro but because of this great site's members are knowledgeable and helpful I really have not found an opportunity to post any question that has not been answered yet. That's it for now.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Welcome to Hearth, I run a BK princess free stander myself - Love it, besides an insert you my want to check a couple threads by ashful - he has (2) freestanding bk ashfords in his fireplaces, looks really nice. Also remember there is an added cost with installing in an existing fireplace - insulated liners, do your research now so you are prepared.

Jersey shore here too. Rocking a Woodstock Ideal Steel Hybrid. 1st season with it.

I think we have a blaze king dealer somewhere here in central Jersey.

Welcome to Hearth, I run a BK princess free stander myself - Love it, besides an insert you my want to check a couple threads by ashful - he has (2) freestanding bk ashfords in his fireplaces, looks really nice. Also remember there is an added cost with installing in an existing fireplace - insulated liners, do your research now so you are prepared.

Thanks Kenny.
Yup, I saw those posts by Ashful and his install. He made them quite nice.
Me and wifey also discussed about those free standings inside the fireplace coz i'm really into performance but she really insisted on a full cover-up of the fireplace. She actually wanted a fully flushed-to-the-fireplace insert but we settled on a compromise (really?).

I understand about the additional costs and work: repair/modding of the chimney, liner, insulation and the stuff. I'm just so fortunate that I got three good neighbors who are really helpful and friendly. They all showed me their running set-ups which are all professionally installed. But of course there are a number of tried-and-true upgrades (block-off plate, additional Roxul etc) that can be done on those installs that can only be found here in this forum.

I'm planning to do this "myself" with the help of couple of guys from my brother's contracting business. And because of the delay in the delivery of the insert I'm hoping to do it the "hearth.com" way.

Thanks again.

Jersey shore here too. Rocking a Woodstock Ideal Steel Hybrid. 1st season with it.

I think we have a blaze king dealer somewhere here in central Jersey.

Hey, Baba. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Fact is the Ideal Steele was the other stove on my short list that I really wanted to install (aside from the princess insert). I kinda like the technology but since I have not seen it myself in person (which I usually prefer) and plus that this is will be the first of most likely two installs I really need to make it right for the wifey. Having used to own a bk keeps me on that safe zone. If I get this first one right, I might even be allowed to do the Ideal Steele for our second fireplace. The thing is, at least based on what I've seen so far, the Ideal Steele only comes as a freestanding (pls correct me if I'm wrong) though I thought I've seen a picture of one with shroud. I'm not really sure. Wifey's really insistent on a fully covered up fireplace

Anyway, yup there are a number of dealers here in Jersey. I called all of those listed in central and south and here's what I found: BK's website regarding dealer locator is a bit out-dated. There were three that were listed in BK's website but have not been actual dealers of BK products for a number of years.

I actually paid for one princess insert a couple of hours ago. Came out at 3,700ish (including Jersey's a-bit-of-expensive sales tax) for the insert (fans come as standard), the larger shroud, and upgraded satin/ brushed silver door. I paid cash and dealer knocked off 60 bucks off the final cost (hey, every dollar counts). And now I'm in the process of making final measurements of the chimney and upper part of the fireplace post- modding for the actual liner that we will be using. Pls, wish us luck.

Thanks, man.

You know, you may want to look into some zero clearance units, there are some beautiful stoves out there that are epa certified and can have heating ducts connected to spread heat around. May be something worth looking into.

The Princess insert sounds like a good compromise if it passes wife approval. You already know how to run it and like BK stoves. For best performance be sure the liner is insulated and put up an insulated block off plate in the damper area.

You know, you may want to look into some zero clearance units, there are some beautiful stoves out there that are epa certified and can have heating ducts connected to spread heat around. May be something worth looking into.

Well, aside from the reasons I have mentioned above, since I have already paid for one princess insert a couple of hours ago this first build is pretty set.

Anyhow, can you point me to install links re: zc units inside fireplaces connected to heating ducts. We might keep them in mind when we plan for the next fireplace.

Thanks, man.

The Princess insert sounds like a good compromise if it passes wife approval. You already know how to run it and like BK stoves. For best performance be sure the liner is insulated and put up an insulated block off plate in the damper area.

Thanks, Mod!

Yup, it's always that final approval that is really hard to get.

Regarding the liner being insulated and also insulated block off plate: check and check.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.