Hi just purchased a vermont castings encore stove....need help/advise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spooldup

Sep 5, 2008
new york
Hi guys. I just bought a vermont castings encore stove. I need to install it in my home wich is not set up for one. I need to learn how to install one of these. I know i need 8" double wall stainless(who has the best pricing), a thimble, hearth pad and possibly a clearance reducing heat shield so it's not too far off the wall. I want to install it where the tall cabinet is. Do i need toi tile the walls also? Please excuse my messy home.....it's still under construction. Any help is greatly appreciated.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d49/TurboGrl/OUR HOME/living room/IMG_0173.jpg?t=1220587563

Hi CONGRATS, I too just purchased a VC ENCORE erverburn, Even after I read all the bad experiences here with said stove there were also positive ones, I am determined to get the best burn it offers, I have spent many many hours reading every thread several times over. I have great wood and a wife who is FIRE STARTER.

spooldup said:
Hi guys. I just bought a vermont castings encore stove. I need to install it in my home wich is not set up for one. I need to learn how to install one of these. I know i need 8" double wall stainless(who has the best pricing), a thimble, hearth pad and possibly a clearance reducing heat shield so it's not too far off the wall. I want to install it where the tall cabinet is. Do i need toi tile the walls also? Please excuse my messy home.....it's still under construction. Any help is greatly appreciated.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d49/TurboGrl/OUR HOME/living room/IMG_0173.jpg?t=1220587563

Did you buy this used?
If you bought it new, the dealer should have set you up with all the information and materials needed to install the stove.

If you didn't buy from a dealer, make sure you get the manual and read every word. There are various models of this stove and the clearances may differ!

We are certainly glad to help, but first of all you should decide if you are 100% capable of planning and installing a chimney and a stove. It is not an easy DIY job. If you are capable, you have to do a lot of reading, planning and perhaps sketching (on computer or paper) to make certain everything is right.

You have to secure a permit for installing such a stove, and your local building or fire dept may also be able to help with some advice.

Definitely get your fire department involved. It's worth having them come out twice, once for advice, the second time for a final review b4 firing it up for the first time. Cant speak for yours, but my FD was very friendly and got great info from them.

The above said, used a VC encore for many years and still do at a friends place. Well built stove, you'll enjoy it for years to come

How is this planning going? You certainly should seek the advice of all professionals in the areas needed.

Town building department requirements and specs
Local fire dept advice.
Get some (many) contractor bids just for the ideas on the wall, hearth, flue and chase install, etc. Pick the best one.
Read everything about your VC stove! Also all purchased materials before you buy.

I bought from my local VC stove dealer, used my building contractor and my great architect for help on this, as it was part of a new addition to the house.

Most important, take NO shortcuts on the safety needs and required materials, dimensions and other requirements.

Oh yes, keep reading Hearth.com every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.