Hickory Holes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
So do I heat with wood to save money? My kid asked me why I don't sell wood. I'm a shrink--I'd have to charge $500 for a Tacoma load (5ft bed) for it to make sense. She then asked why I spend so much time "messing with" wood if I could make so much more "at work?" Great question. Well, my grandfather always said that heating with oil is the "lazy man's heat." I don't necessarily agree with him on that, but he isn't around anymore to argue with (boy do I wish he was). But I heat with wood, in part, to honor him. I also sit on my butt for my job, so splitting some rounds gets me off of that and I don't need a gym membership.The old man never understood why I spent so much time in my youth in a gym lifting weights when no "real work" was done at the end of a work out. Some people still accuse me of lifting weights--I haven't been in a gym for a decade and a half.

We also had a few power outages over the past few years, never for more than a few hours. One time it was while I was cooking dinner on the stove. The only interruption was the time it took me to push the button on my lantern. Had that outage lasted longer--days, months, etc., I know that my family would have been warm and able to cook food--even if it was only what the cat brought home (or the cat). Just kidding, Fluff is over 15 years old and outside of the stray grasshopper, hasn't been much of a killer. I don't want to think about what a 15 year old cat would taste like, so I digress...

I doubt the beetle holes will help the wood season unless it is well covered. I had a stack of pine with beetle holes that ended up being more like sponges than anything else. Nevertheless. Hickory is the only wood that has ever made me wonder if I could use my stove as a forge....again probably not a good idea....when the wood dries out the beetles will leave--burn on.