Hickory or??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
Picked this wood up tonight on the way home. Some of it's a little punky but most of it split without falling a part. I'm was thinking hickory but it really didn't split like the hickory I've split in the past. Of course that wood wasn't standing dead either, most of this wood except the first couple cuts at the bottom are in the mid to low 20's already.

Attachments

• P9150041.jpg
    P9150041.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 548
  • P9150044.jpg
    P9150044.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 544
  • P9150045.jpg
    P9150045.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 580
Looks like a Shagbark Hickory - when they are young, they don't look "shaggy", but this one is of medium age and is just starting to show the curly, shaggy bark on the top right log in the truck.

+3 on Hickory - those shags 'bite' when handling it. Don't ask me how I know. :)

Shari

Yep, shagbark Hickory. The stuff is like concrete. Throw it in the fire and it does not burn fast at all!!!

Rdust - I am a little suspicious. Was it still very heavy? Even at 20% hickory is gonna be heavy. For your sake, I am hoping that it is hickory, but if you respond that it was on the light side, you probably have maple.

Edit: I don't usually see hickory "spalted" like those in your pics.

I don't know hickory, but I do know that old silver maples also look shaggy like that sometimes. Show us a split. The wood either is very punky or looks like maple.

gzecc said:
I don't know hickory, but I do know that old silver maples also look shaggy like that sometimes. Show us a split. The wood either is very punky or looks like maple.

I knew I couldn't be the only one. :lol:

Based on JAGS suspicions and a recent scrounge, that does look like some maple I got recently I have been meaning to post about as I cant id it from any of the pic sites. Although mine was from a giant tree the dropper had to noodle each round into quarters for the scrounging public's ease of removal. If I can find my camera I will get a pic.

It looks like shagbark. As stated above- they get shaggier with age. Maples don't get shaggy until pretty old, and the bark doesn't look like silver maple to me. Whatever it is- if it's a bit punky, it may burn like a somewhat lighter species.

Adios Pantalones said:
It looks like shagbark.

I agree that there are some "shaggy" characteristics, but something bout the bark thickness of the inner bark and cambium that is throwing me. Throw in the spalted core an I am cunfus.

See the slight furrows and striation on the shaggy pieces? That's what really says "shagbark" as opposed to silver maple to me. I don't recall that on silver maple (neighbor had 2 impressive ones when I was a kid)

Silver maple:

hacsa2-br12247.JPG

Shagbark:
4shagbark_hickory_ohio.jpg

Adios Pantalones said:
LOL- posted as-is. Dictated but not read

I do see the argument for Shaggy, but I would like a report back on weight. My ears are still twitching.

I'm almost certain it's shagbark. Here's a shot of some of my shagbark (with a few cherry rounds to the sides).

Attachments

• Shagbark-Hickory.jpg
    Shagbark-Hickory.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 368
I have cut shagbark (and smoothbark/pignut) with pretty thin bark. If dried carefully, the bark adheres like friggin 2 part epoxy. These are prime bow woods for my area, and you need to get the bark off without damaging the outside ring. I think that inner bark turns into a thin layer of cement.

Without a doubt that is shagbark...

Adios Pantalones said:
I have cut shagbark (and smoothbark/pignut) with pretty thin bark. If dried carefully, the bark adheres like friggin 2 part epoxy. These are prime bow woods for my area, and you need to get the bark off without damaging the outside ring. I think that inner bark turns into a thin layer of cement.

Interesting. Do you use winter cut wood for the bows? That holds its bark pretty well.

Winter cut wood does hold bark better, but if you leave the bark on a stave while it dries, it can get like that too. When making a bow, if you take the bark off you must immediately rough out a bow (evens out water loss from both sides/middle) or put something on that outer ring to slow down water loss from one side, or else it will check like mad, so often when you cut a tree with several staves in it, you leave the bark on. I would never do that for hickory again!

Looks just like any shagbark hickory we have around here. Good fine rdust.

rdust said:
Picked this wood up tonight on the way home. Some of it's a little punky but most of it split without falling a part. I'm was thinking hickory but it really didn't split like the hickory I've split in the past. Of course that wood wasn't standing dead either, most of this wood except the first couple cuts at the bottom are in the mid to low 20's already.

Shag bark or the the pettiest silver maple I have ever lied eyes on.

Jags said:
Rdust - I am a little suspicious. Was it still very heavy? Even at 20% hickory is gonna be heavy. For your sake, I am hoping that it is hickory, but if you respond that it was on the light side, you probably have maple.

The pieces have some meat to them, some of it's punky so it's obviously on the lighter side. It has weight comparable to any oak or hickory I currently have. The growth rings are also a lot tighter then the silver maples I've cut.

Adios Pantalones said:
Whatever it is- if it's a bit punky, it may burn like a somewhat lighter species.

I was figuring on that, most of the punky stuff will end up in the shoulder season piles or the piles that get burned in the pit. Hard to pass up on it when it took 5 minutes or less to get into the truck.

smokinjay said:
Shag bark or the the pettiest silver maple I have ever lied eyes on.

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.