If push came to shove, what is the highest moisture content that you would burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I'm new here. You said links to diy plans were in your signature. I don't understand. Please elaborate
if you turn your phone sideways it opens up to full page.. at the bottom you will see everyones signature.. linsa and info available

Screenshot_20231107-201349_Samsung Internet.jpg

The power of a simple wood drying kiln is amazing to me. Our fiends order 5 cord every spring, stack it inside their walk in kiln made from framing, cattle panels and plastic and start heating with it in their 2 stoves the following fall.

During the first winter when we were building our first house we lived in the foundation, 4 ft foundation/ 4 ft framed, with 2+inch t&g uninsulated decking above. We had no electricity yet but did have an old tall, honkin Sears wood furnace and cords of freshly cut wood from us clearing. I don’t think you can find much with more moisture and less btu’s than green poplar but that’s what we had the most of. A huge amount heat went to drying the wood but with the size of the furnace we got by.

It’s mostly not that simple today. Stoves require drier wood to function well and most of us have options other than wood heat. You still do what you have to do but if you don’t have a supply of dry wood and other options why push it and jump in with both feet and fight with green wood and all that goes with that all season. One can hold off and get that first load of wood in and dry before getting that new stove but what fun is that. If you don’t have dry wood to run a stove steady then why not get the stove and and run it some with bricks, slabs and any dry wood scrounged. You get enjoyment, some experience, some ambiance and a backup in outages.