Hidden Controls on QuadraFire 4100i (pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zuegnu

Hearth Supporter
Oct 20, 2009
central CA
So I bought a 4100i and somehow after all the questions and research I had an understanding that the controls were integrated into the unit. To my disappointment I find it was not come installation day, all this after I had spent the time to get power into the old firebox. But a solution was quickly formulated. Homemade rheostat integrated into the thin sheet surround panel. No cutting or rewiring on the factory components either! Basically I took a rheostat and wired it to a standard outlet and joined the boxes back to back and plugged it all in. Put into the location where the factory cold comes out so if it is not too hot for the cord there it shouldnt be for this either. I'll have to keep and eye on it even though I covered it in high temp insulation. Paint a couple stainless screws and...now to clean up the overspray! I thought I had it covered. Oh well.

Attachments

• integrated control.jpg
    integrated control.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 609
  • control close.jpg
    control close.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 599
You loose your on/auto switch though... it must be hiding behind the panel?

Only the 5100i has the fan controls attached to the side of the unit, at least it did last time I worked on one.

True regarding the auto. Basically it was a choice. Since I had found the auto seems to take a really long time to turn on and stays on long after good useable heat has passed I opted to put it on manual at top speed and then use the second rheostat to control the speed. This way I can turn the blower on or off when the temp of the stove is in a good range. It seems I use the blower quite a bit anyhow so for now it is a good solution for us.

zuegnu said:
True regarding the auto. Basically it was a choice. Since I had found the auto seems to take a really long time to turn on and stays on long after good useable heat has passed I opted to put it on manual at top speed and then use the second rheostat to control the speed. This way I can turn the blower on or off when the temp of the stove is in a good range. It seems I use the blower quite a bit anyhow so for now it is a good solution for us.

Sounds like the fan's snap disk needs a tweak to be in better contact with the stove body. jtp, is this switch mounted on a bendable tab?

Interesting! I was thinking about doing something similar, however I want to use the original control box to maintain the manual and auto controls.

BeGreen said:
zuegnu said:

Sounds like the fan's snap disk needs a tweak to be in better contact with the stove body. jtp, is this switch mounted on a bendable tab?

Bendable tab? The switch I mounted? Mine is in a switch box and then mounted to the flashing with stainless screws.
It actually didn't cross my mind that I could adjust the distance of the contact for the snap disk. The main reason I did this was I just couldn't stand the cord and control box running across the hearth to the outlet.

I only have worked on one 4100i fan, I don't remember where the disc was, I just remember seeing it someplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.